Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Bosch AXT 25 TC Chipper/Shredder €380 delivered from Germany to Ireland. Not cheap, but compared to €580+ on amazon.de, a bargain. Ordered today, so hoping it goes through OK.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-quiet-shredder-AXT-25-TC-2-500-Watt-fangbox-53-Litre/172730616966?du=1&varId=&item=172730616966&du=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l4627&qty=1&quantity=1
    Even dearer, if available at all from most other sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

johnb25 wrote: »
    Bosch AXT 25 TC Chipper/Shredder €380 delivered from Germany to Ireland. Not cheap, but compared to €580+ on amazon.de, a bargain. Ordered today, so hoping it goes through OK.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-quiet-shredder-AXT-25-TC-2-500-Watt-fangbox-53-Litre/172730616966?du=1&varId=&item=172730616966&du=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l4627&qty=1&quantity=1
    Even dearer, if available at all from most other sellers.

Please update on using the shreder if it arrives, Interested in one in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

wildwillow wrote: »
    Please update on using the shreder if it arrives, Interested in one in the near future.

Some good info and a video https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113528338 .

Will do. It says limited stock, may not be around for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

A Guide to Vegetable Growing - 9th Edition

Downloadable from here.

https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2020/a-guide-to-vegetable-growing---9th-edition.php

• Advertisement

Will do. It says limited stock, may not be around for long.

The Bosch Chipper shredder finally arrived this evening. Took longer than estimated, and a few emails to chase it up. Ordered June 13th, estimated delivery date given between June 18th and 25th. Maybe get to try it out over the weekend. Currently on offer on eBay for €480.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/172730616966

That was a long time. I hope you get the weather to try it out at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Bought mine 18 months ago. €300.
    It does the job.

That was a long time. I hope you get the weather to try it out at the weekend.

It was a bit frustrating, but €370 delivered was a good price. Gone up about €100 since then. Plenty to be going on with in the meantime, so didn't delay me.

It was a bit frustrating, but €370 delivered was a good price. Gone up about €100 since then. Plenty to be going on with in the meantime, so didn't delay me.

Just to add that this shipped without a power cable. It has a round European type power connector.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information. I think it is too small and slow for my needs and will go the petrol route or hire as needed.

I will be clearing a neglcted area of shrub and scrub to transform into an orchard as my next project so need more speed and power.

Martin at gardens for life is doing a summer Sale on plants
    4 for 24, 8 for 39 Euro. + postage.

I've found him very good value and quality is good. Bought a fair bit off him this year.

Currants, medical and herbs most in 2 litre pots.

http://gardensforlife.ie/summersale2020/

Just to update, gardens for Life is doing a pre sale of lots of stuff with a 15% code presale2020.

Have my strawberry and yacon ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thanks for the information. I think it is too small and slow for my needs and will go the petrol route or hire as needed.

I will be clearing a neglcted area of shrub and scrub to transform into an orchard as my next project so need more speed and power.

Did you go with one in the end?

I have a largish garden with ~10 fruit trees so there is always pruning each year and I dont want the hassle of renting one, but I've seen lots of bad reviews of various electric ones to scare me off :(

GreeBo wrote: »
    Did you go with one in the end?

I have a largish garden with ~10 fruit trees so there is always pruning each year and I dont want the hassle of renting one, but I've seen lots of bad reviews of various electric ones to scare me off :(

Due to shoulder injury and subsequent surgery I got in a contractor to clear
    the area and prepare the ground for planting.

Best decision ever. Quick job, everything shredded or logged and the area left so tidy. Cost was very reasonable and well worth the outlay.

Seeing their equipment makes the amateur stuff look like a toy.

I would get then in again for any pruning and shredding and save any other shredding needed till they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Due to shoulder injury and subsequent surgery I got in a contractor to clear
    the area and prepare the ground for planting.

Best decision ever. Quick job, everything shredded or logged and the area left so tidy. Cost was very reasonable and well worth the outlay.

Seeing their equipment makes the amateur stuff look like a toy.

I would get then in again for any pruning and shredding and save any other shredding needed till they are here.

Where are you based? Looking at taking out a mid sized hedge but ideally with roots also removed.

Where are you based? Looking at taking out a mid sized hedge but ideally with roots also removed.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Decent enough prices here for anyone looking for a strimmer plus 10% off for Cyber Monday. I got this for E332:

https://robertkee.ie/product/stihl-brushcutter-fs55

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Peter Nyssen WINTER SALE: 50% off ALL flower bulbs (50% off ALL flower bulbs between 10th and 20th December).

Not a lot left and not a great time of year to be planting but still worth checking in case there is something there you really want.

afaik the reduction is made at the checkout.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Peter Nyssen WINTER SALE: 50% off ALL flower bulbs (50% off ALL flower bulbs between 10th and 20th December).

Not a lot left and not a great time of year to be planting but still worth checking in case there is something there you really want.

afaik the reduction is made at the checkout.

good spot, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there anywhere with good deals on bareroot ornamental trees like Amelanchier etc? Don't really see much difference in prices between bareroots and potted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

If you currently live within 5km of a Homebase store, they are currently selling all seeds 2 for 1. I was in the Santry store today and the staff member there told me that this was in all stores.

This includes vegetables and flowers and is across all brands.

There are some Mr Fothergill's vegetable seeds packaged as 100% extra free and these are also included in the 2 for 1 offer.

Happy sowing...

Its probably a bit late to mention it but Lidl had their seeds in recently. Useful range and less than half the price of anyone else, but shelves had been almost emptied of veg seed by the time I got there but still found a few. My past experience had been good with Lidl veg seed only downside seems to be some generic varities and limited range.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pat2167

I've been chasing Lidl seeds since last week, haven't arrived yet. no bare roots this morning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭grinder23

pat2167 wrote: »
    I've been chasing Lidl seeds since last week, haven't arrived yet. no bare roots this morning either.

The full stand was in today in Longford also bare root trees too I think they getting held up coming from UK plenty of veg and flower seeds at 9pm

Aldi will start selling seeds, including potatoes from Sunday 28th. https://ibb.co/8jLHXcx8jLHXcx

I'll have to take a look for myself because I've had enough of tracking links :rolleyes:

grinder23 wrote: »
    The full stand was in today in Longford also bare root trees too I think they getting held up coming from UK plenty of veg and flower seeds at 9pm

Great! Thanks for the update. there was none this morning. i'll pop-in early tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good offers on garden furniture with JYSK right now

https://jysk.ie/garden

I may have bought a few things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

fits wrote: »
    Good offers on garden furniture with JYSK right now

https://jysk.ie/garden

I may have bought a few things.

What's the quality like - heard very mixed reviews

TIA