Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal insulated plasterboard

Options
  • 08-11-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I’m wondering if it’s worth to apply insulated plasterboard on the internal sides of external walls ?

Reason I’m asking is because I’ve just realized the current spec for our walls only just meets 2011 regulations (applies to this build).

Our house was specified as follows;

Block walls with 150mm cavity - full fill bead insulation.
    Downstairs floor: 120mm solid insulation with 25mm insulation at wall perimeter with UFH
    Upstairs floor: 50mm solid insulation with 25mm insulation at wall perimeter with UFH.
    Upstairs ceiling; 150mm solid insulation between joists with 40mm insulated plasterboard at ceilings.
    Downstairs ceiling; 12.5mm plasterboard.
    Triple glazed windows.
    AirSource heat pump
    MVHR
    Airtightness at 3 (yes I know!)

Current stage, first fix electrical complete, no floors, no plastering, insulation & airtightness complete (membranes & junctions taped)

If applying the internal insulated plasterboard to external wall, I was thinking of spraying airtightness paint on block walls first, mechanically fixing the boards directly to wall & using PU foam sealing any gaps/junctions.

Thanks in advance for opinions.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

In the current spec, how are your external walls to be finished internally?
    Imo, you might well be better off to concentrate on getting the airtightness down towards 1 rather than adding extra insulation and introducing interstitial condensation risk as well as reducing your thermal mass materially.
    Is the house ready for a preliminary air tight test? Might be worth considering now if air tight measures are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 porrige

MicktheMan wrote: »
    In the current spec, how are your external walls to be finished internally?
    Imo, you might well be better off to concentrate on getting the airtightness down towards 1 rather than adding extra insulation and introducing interstitial condensation risk as well as reducing your thermal mass materially.
    Is the house ready for a preliminary air tight test? Might be worth considering now if air tight measures are complete.

Thank you.
    Yes will try to achieve best possible airtightness.
    External walls are rendered sand & cement plaster.
    I doubt thermal mass on walls would be significant ? as the walls do not come into direct contact with a heat source - perimeter wall insulation at floor level through out.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

Your walls act as a heat sink absorbing the ambient temperature not the heat source.
    If there is a lot of glazing this thermal mass is effective in regulating the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 porrige

Biker1 wrote: »
    Your walls act as a heat sink absorbing the ambient temperature not the heat source.
    If there is a lot of glazing this thermal mass is effective in regulating the temperature.

Ok. Thanks. Windows are not considered large & are 0.8 u-value.

Any opinions on op appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

porrige wrote: »
    Thank ytou
    Yes will try to achieve best possible airtightness.
    External walls are rendered sand & cement plaster.
    I doubt thermal mass on walls would be significant ? as the walls do not come into direct contact with a heat source - perimeter wall insulation at floor level through out.
    Assuming you need to comply with the current building regulations, and ignoring the reasons you are in this situation, what you are proposing in principle is ok, but you need to look at air-testing before the walls are dry-lined and Should push for a lower air-test result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement