Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bluebeam Revu for BER measurements?

Options
  • 21-10-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Anyone using Bluebeam Revu, or something similar, on new builds to obtain measurements from floor plans? I.e. upload pdf plans, calibrate scale, take and highlight key measurements, save as evidence in case of audit?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no

i redraw the pdf plans in Acad for myself and take areas from that.... i measure window opes from a print out.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

I almost always get the cad drawings from the architect/engineer. Makes life much simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no

i redraw the pdf plans in Acad for myself and take areas from that.... i measure window opes from a print out.

My only experience with bluebeam was the trial version as a test. Seemed to be pretty useful. Calibrate the scale by clicking on either end of a known length.

You could choose different colours and labels for marker lines.

Trial ran out before I really got to try it out. When you saved it saved your measurements and notes.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My only experience with bluebeam was the trial version as a test. Seemed to be pretty useful. Calibrate the scale by clicking on either end of a known length.

You could choose different colours and labels for marker lines.

Trial ran out before I really got to try it out. When you saved it saved your measurements and notes.

im happy that i can draw up every house plan ive needed to so far within about 10 mins on cad. Youre just looking at the overall external walls on plan, sections and the living area.

if i was a QS and used a program such as that to pull areas from id probably use it as id already be proficient in it... but i havent ever had the need to use something like that, as im quite happy to fly up a cad drawing

sydthebeat wrote: »
    im happy that i can draw up every house plan ive needed to so far within about 10 mins on cad. Youre just looking at the overall external walls on plan, sections and the living area.

if i was a QS and used a program such as that to pull areas from id probably use it as id already be proficient in it... but i havent ever had the need to use something like that, as im quite happy to fly up a cad drawing

Bluebeam has a lot of tools that arent necessary for BERs. Maybe there is an open source measurement that will help? I'm only starting out in this game.

• Advertisement

Biker1 wrote: »
    I almost always get the cad drawings from the architect/engineer. Makes life much simpler.

And what cad program are you using? A dwg viewer? With Bluebeam you can use pdf drawings of any size if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

I use AutoCad. I find that sometimes the pdf's don't have sufficient sections included when dealing with complex houses so being able to draw up those sections in cad is very useful.

Biker1 wrote: »
    I use AutoCad. I find that sometimes the pdf's don't have sufficient sections included when dealing with complex houses so being able to draw up those sections in cad is very useful.

With Bluebeam I think you can link it to excel for windows/door schedules.

Revit is a whole different ball game. Not every architect using it. Probably more than a BER assessor needs. Very expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Bluebeam Is grand for your requirements, assuming its only a back up tool to site measuring For existing work, and with new build/desk top studies assumes you have confidence the pdf you receive is properly dimensioned /Accurate scale bar provide.

Advertisement