Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seagull movements

• 24-06-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

There are horror stories all over the internet about more or less expensive watches with Seagull movements that run fast/slow by minutes per day or don't run at all or only for a few days.

Well, here's a different version of that story:

My G.Gerlach diver has the Seagull ST 25 (picture G.Gerlach)
    dsc03592t.jpg

This is a 39 Jewel automatic with 40 - 45 hours power reserve (not tested by me) and a 21600 beat rate.
    Straight out of the box it ran 15 - 20 seconds fast per day. I wasn't very impressed with that, but not overly concerned either. I have worn the watch on and off for four months now and it seems to be "bedding in" as far as accuracy is concerned with continously improving values.

As it has a hacking feature, keeping track of the timing is very easily done.

I'm wearing it continously now since Thursday evening and since then (it's now Sunday afternoon) it has gained the grand total of three seconds :D (in comparison with time.is)

During checks inbetween, it has varied from 0 to +5 and currently stands at +3

Now if that isn't good ...then I don't know.

As I understand it from their mile long thread on WUS, G.Gerlach buy grade 1 movements directly from the Seagull factory (none of the dreaded subcontractor rubbish) and also whip it over a timegrapher during assembly ...but still ...not everything from China is necessarily rubbish.

My only criticism of the movement would be that the rotor is rather noisy, you can clearly hear it even over the (normal) "chatter" of a steel bracelet when shaking your wrist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

There's a thread on tz.co.uk about Polish companies at the moment that I've been following and that brand has come up, might be one I keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I've been looking at that thread too. I think I've reached the conclusion that the big date version of the Stowa Marine-a-like will have to be acquired assuming I can get one when they come out.

Advertisement