Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garage internet question

• 19-10-2020 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a CAT6 cable running to my garage which is now my home office. The CAT6 cable is connected to one of the modem ports in the house.

What do I need in order to connect the CAT6 cable to in the garage in order to have a wireless network in the garage.

The home plugs don't seem to work out there for some reason.

I do have some old modems which I could maybe use as wirless extenders but I don't know how to set this up either.

Any advice on what I need to do in order to have WIFI in the garage greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,943 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a CAT6 cable running to my garage which is now my home office. The CAT6 cable is connected to one of the modem ports in the house.

What do I need in order to connect the CAT6 cable to in the garage in order to have a wireless network in the garage.

The home plugs don't seem to work out there for some reason.

I do have some old modems which I could maybe use as wirless extenders but I don't know how to set this up either.

Any advice on what I need to do in order to have WIFI in the garage greatly appreciated.
    A wireless router in the garage getting it's feed via the CAT6.
    Not sure what you mean by 'home plugs.' An old modem is likely not to work unless it can be a router as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any old wifi router that can be set not to DHCP will work.

1. Turn off DHCP
    2. Set static IP in range of your own main router (so if main router is 192.168.0.1 you might want to use 192.168.0.200)
    3. Set wifi name and pw
    4. Connect it to a LAN port

Igotadose wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by 'home plugs.'

Powerline adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

ok thanks for that, I have an old eir wireless router is it easy to login to make those changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

Hi ED E, i've done what you suggested but I am getting an error message when I try to connect. So basically I assume I haven't done all you said to do.

The error message is "cannot obtain ip address"

Any ideas what I need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Hi ED E, i've done what you suggested but I am getting an error message when I try to connect. So basically I assume I haven't done all you said to do.

The error message is "cannot obtain ip address"

Any ideas what I need to do?

Make sure the cable is plugged into one of the 4 WiFi ports, not the wan port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

champchamp wrote: »
    Make sure the cable is plugged into one of the 4 WiFi ports, not the wan port.

That should be LAN ports.

Advertisement