Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi Coverage in 3 story house

• 30-09-2020 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

looking for advice that is similar to lots of others but just to outline my specific scenario....3 story house (router on ground floor, kids on 1st floor, my 'office' on 2nd floor).

Currently on Eir Broadband and can only get a max of 50mbps to the house. The PC wired to the modem and laptop on wifi in the living room gets me 45+. I have an extender in the attic/office which was giving me 20-30mbps for working from home and also could be reached from the garden and the driveway for the car (dashcam parking mode). Happy Days!

But now the 2 kids are back in college and attending online lectures. When they are both doing anything that is network intensive my extender isn't even able to get to the router so I end up using a hotspot on my phone for my work - not ideal.

I've been looking at Mesh options but before I fork out the cash for one, would a Mesh setup even work for me? If I only have 50mbps coming in to the router what kind of setup would realistic give me usable bandwidth in the attic?

Just to note that the house is oldish and has been extended a couple of times so different parts are on different electrical circuits - think I read on another post that this could be an issue for powerlines/plugs?....oh and Eir recently reduced my line from 90 to 50mbps as a 'solution' to a lot of dropped connections I was getting in the last month or so.

Cheers,
    PB

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Get mesh
    The wifi 6 just out would be best but 2 expensive
    Buy 3 unit mesh system try hard wiring it

You could also put router up high in the middle of the house on second floor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Amazon are selling the eero 3 pack mesh now for just under €170. Down by over €100.

That would give you a good WiFi connection throughout each floor.

You should get around the full speed in your office. If you can stack them straight up and the floors aren’t solid concrete.

It also has an option to wire into the satellite. So you can plug in your office pc which will help stabilise it.

The main difference between mesh and extenders or power lines is that you have one big network so you could stay connected to the same network as you walk from the bottom to the top.

I messed about with extenders and power lines for ages but the mesh is a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

One option is the HUAWEI WIFI Q2 PRO WI-FI SYSTEM

It basically a mesh system with 3 nodes, you could have one of each floor. One needs to be side where you internet comes into the house.

For best results, can you run an ethernet cable between the three nodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The main difference between mesh and extenders or power lines is that you have one big network so you could stay connected to the same network as you walk from the bottom to the top.
    Apparently Devolo do a mesh powerline system that also allows you to seamlessly move from one adapter to the next.

https://www.devolo.com/magic-2-wifi-next

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Thanks for the responses all....that Amazon eero deal looks like a good option, will look into that a bit more.

Should I expect any mesh system I go with to work with the Eir F1000 modem I have - any compatibility issues to be wary of?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

phelimb wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses all....that Amazon eero deal looks like a good option, will look into that a bit more.

Should I expect any mesh system I go with to work with the Eir F1000 modem I have - any compatibility issues to be wary of?

Cheers.

One of the units will plug into the back of the Eir modem via an ethernet cable at 100mbps or Gig speeds (depending on the port speed on the F1000) , so it's just another wired device and there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Disable the WiFi on the Eir modem or ensure the Eero and Eir WiFi are operating on different channels so there's no overlap & hence no interference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Look at wifi 6 mesh
    It's much faster

Remove eir router

http://www.pixelbeat.org/systems/FTTH/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Amazon are selling the eero 3 pack mesh now for just under €170. Down by over €100.

Any advice on tp link deco m5 or Amazon eero prime day special? Thanks

emclau wrote: »
    Any advice on tp link deco m5 or Amazon eero prime day special? Thanks

My eero is in the post so I'm not sure yet :)

I have a Tenda MW6 mesh here now that is really good. I get 120mb in the bedroom upstairs. About the same as when plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

My eero is in the post so I'm not sure yet :)

I have a Tenda MW6 mesh here now that is really good. I get 120mb in the bedroom upstairs. About the same as when plugged in.

Thanks... I also took the plunge today - got the Deco from Harvey Norman for 180 euro...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Darren mc

Hi anyone know if eero mesh will work with irish vodafone siro connection?

Darren mc wrote: »
    Hi anyone know if eero mesh will work with irish vodafone siro connection?

Not 100% on Siro but it works fine with the Vodafone gigabox router. I had VF but changed to eir but have tried both the Eir and Vodafone router. Both work the same.

I got my eero today. Set up took about 10 mins. I've a 150mb line into the office. First eero is plugged in there. Second in the downstairs sitting room and then the third in the upstairs back bedroom. I am getting 144mb in the sitting room and 142mb in the upstairs bedroom on my fire sticks.

I do have them wired so that would make it perform better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Darren mc

Not 100% on Siro but it works fine with the Vodafone gigabox router. I had VF but changed to eir but have tried both the Eir and Vodafone router. Both work the same.

I got my eero today. Set up took about 10 mins. I've a 150mb line into the office. First eero is plugged in there. Second in the downstairs sitting room and then the third in the upstairs back bedroom. I am getting 144mb in the sitting room and 142mb in the upstairs bedroom on my fire sticks.

I do have them wired so that would make it perform better.

Have read in amazon's reviews the eero doesn't work with PPPOE connections (not sure what that is) just worried if i get one it won't work.

Advertisement