Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surrogate mother query

• 12-07-2020 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

My friend has 2 children: she was the surrogate mother for these children (both children from Separate donor egg and sperm)
    However these 2 children look very like each other even though they are from separate mums and dads. Is it possible that they inherited something from the surrogate mum which is the only person they share in common? With all the blood passing through the mum, would the baby take something from it’s surrogate?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From my rudimentary knowledge of Biology, I don't think so.

Could you be picking up on shared mannerisms rather than actual looks? I know of a child (surrogate mother, father's sperm, donor egg) who, while he is the picture of his father looks wise, everything else, from his speech patterns to his gait and even how he holds his head is from his mother who technically has no biological connection to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

With all the blood passing through the mum
    The mother's blood and the baby's blood are completely separated at placental level.

It may be the situation that the children have a donor or donors in common or that the donors have something in common. This might be information that your friend is unwilling to share with you - it is private information, they would not be out to slight you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

This isn't really an appropriate topic for the genealogy forum, and we are not doctors, so I'm closing this thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement