Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been on the periphery of this game and the content being released.

I think it probably is the most enticing game coming out around that period, and will probably land at a point whereby I'm really feeling the burnout from WoW, and waiting on the next expansion. I'm not going to pre-order, but will keep a close eye on the release to see the initial feedback and then will hopefully pick it up, if there are no major issues. Performance is going to be a big one.

If this game gets hijacked by Nvidia in the closing weeks to release, I'll probably avoid it like the plague as there will be a disastrous amount of performance issues that will take a month or two after to resolve with AMD drivers. Hopefully CA maintain some integrity and don't let Nvidia barge in last minute, but something for everyone running AMD to keep an eye out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Honeslty given Creative Assemblies history with Launch day games, it would be foolish to pre-order.

Waiting 24 hours to read up on it might very well save you money and disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cormac... wrote: »
    I found that whole overworld and interface a bit bland :/

The main problem is that they've insisted on using a heavy "atmosphere simulation" sort of mist, which actually just obscures everything and makes it look washed out. When they zoom out you actually can't see a damn thing because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

expects mods for that pretty quickly if it isn't an option to turn off in settings

I think Shogun and Rome 1 had the map just fine. You're not pretending we're flying around in the sky, the armies are still represented by mountain-tall icons. Can we not just pretend it is a map in the commander's tent? All this overly animated, jazzed-up campaign map stuff just makes it so busy and unpleasant to use. Please draw clear border between provinces. Please have key gameplay features clearly visible. Stop putting mist and other weathery crap that serves nothing more than to make the interface harder to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Release Date pushed back to 24th May and Specs revealed

While the delay sucks its good to see that they're trying to prevent a repeat of the Rome 2 release. Better to wait a little longer and get a working game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

reasonable date, reasonable specs

dont wanna get burned again after Rome II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

reasonable date, reasonable specs

dont wanna get burned again after Rome II

I loaded up Rome II couple nights ago to give it another go and expand my empire.

My save files are gone and no steam cloud :(

Not going near that game again for a long while!

just seen that on steam, wonder if it's a playable faction?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From coverage and from playing past games it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the big unit with the Warhammer in the background behind the text at 03:40 in that video? It doesn't look evil...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the big unit with the Warhammer in the background behind the text at 03:40 in that video? It doesn't look evil...

Kholek Suneater, a lord charactr in the Chaos faction pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks, he's definitely evil looking when you see his torso:

Kholek.jpg

just seen that on steam, wonder if it's a playable faction?

Awesome that they got the great fire dragon Smaug to do the voice for the vampire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Are people still following this? Lots of gameplay videos have been popping up on Youtube over the last few days. CA have been much more transparent this time around, letting people from the community in to play (and record) their own gameplay instead of showing scripted stuff like the Siege of Carthage. So kudos to them for that.

And a lot of the stuff looks really good. But my expectations have been really tempered by the apparent lack of variety in settlements, and therefore siege battles. Everyone was playing a build dating back to January, so some stuff may still change, but the copy & paste settlements (even across the different factions) have me worried. There's only wall to attack, and no inner walls to fall back to. And when you upgrade your cities, their size and layout stay the same - only the walls/towers get an upgrade. Seems like a giant step backwards, and I could imagine it getting very old, fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Is it to reflect the actual tabletop game do you think?

not sure if i'd prefer that or not, depends on how garrison troops work, and if there is chooseable variety or just stock guardsmen/orc/pires/chaos's whatevers.

Been playing Attila lately and when i'm being besieged i tend to fallback a lot and use the towers to cover myself til i'm at the next fortified position, hold archers and spearmen in reserve etc.. I'd like to be still able to do that as it's been something i've always done in TW games, because who doesn't love ranking up archers with fish in barrel sieges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

IvoryTower wrote: »

No idea to be honest - I'm not familiar with the lore either.

When you take the other changes into account (auto-ladders, much bigger pathways in towns and on the top of walls), it sounds like they're just trying to compensate for the AI's ineffectualness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 qwerticus

I'm not a hardcore Total War player, I own and have played every game except the original Shogun I'm a big Warhammer fan so this game is very exciting to me.

Having watched the gameplay videos, in particular, the new Vampire Counts videos I'm quite hopeful that it'll be a good game.

One video I watched was a Vampire Count siege of a Dwarven Kharak/underground fortress. The narrator was extolling the virtues of the Kharak and how good it looked and frankly I thought it looked sh!te. It was just a collection of boxes with different dimensions, very little variation. It looked like a pop-up book version of a castle.

I've concerns about the Chaos playable faction, easily the most awaited part of the game for me. I would be extremely disappointed if they went for the Chaos Undivided approach rather than allowing the player to follow a specific god (i.e. Slaanesh, Khorne etc) because that's exactly what I think of when I think of Warhammer Chaos, the gods and their distinct colour schemes and army appearances.

I think the map looks good, it was always my favourite part of the game, the manual resolution of battles was never really something that grabbed me as much as the diplomacy and trade aspect of the Total War games.

Something that bothered me was the Creative Assembly people narrating their own videos not knowing the subject matter. In one video they were narrating a siege they had done earlier and the guy that played the game didn't know much about the army he was controlling, i.e. Mannfred Von Carstein his general. I wouldn't expect people who aren't into the Warhammer universe to know/care about it but if you are working on and trying to sell the game it looks unprofessional when you don't actual know much about the story of the game!

I think it'll be decent and I think it'll be the best and most faithful Warhammer game ever released. However I don't think it'll be flawless and I guess we'll have to settle for good enough rather than great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

IvoryTower wrote: »

I suspect it's more a case that they're wary of pissing off a devoted fanbase, given how notoriously touch and easily enflamed and kind of geek/nerd/fanboy following can be.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    I suspect it's more a case that they're wary of pissing off a devoted fanbase, given how notoriously touchy and easily enflamed and kind of geek/nerd/fanboy following can be.

FPS and MOBA players are bad but they've nothing on strategy players for complaining.

qwerticus wrote: »
    I'm not a hardcore Total War player, I own and have played every game except the original Shogun I'm a big Warhammer fan so this game is very exciting to me.

Having watched the gameplay videos, in particular, the new Vampire Counts videos I'm quite hopeful that it'll be a good game.

One video I watched was a Vampire Count siege of a Dwarven Kharak/underground fortress. The narrator was extolling the virtues of the Kharak and how good it looked and frankly I thought it looked sh!te. It was just a collection of boxes with different dimensions, very little variation. It looked like a pop-up book version of a castle.

I've concerns about the Chaos playable faction, easily the most awaited part of the game for me. I would be extremely disappointed if they went for the Chaos Undivided approach rather than allowing the player to follow a specific god (i.e. Slaanesh, Khorne etc) because that's exactly what I think of when I think of Warhammer Chaos, the gods and their distinct colour schemes and army appearances.

I think the map looks good, it was always my favourite part of the game, the manual resolution of battles was never really something that grabbed me as much as the diplomacy and trade aspect of the Total War games.

Something that bothered me was the Creative Assembly people narrating their own videos not knowing the subject matter. In one video they were narrating a siege they had done earlier and the guy that played the game didn't know much about the army he was controlling, i.e. Mannfred Von Carstein his general. I wouldn't expect people who aren't into the Warhammer universe to know/care about it but if you are working on and trying to sell the game it looks unprofessional when you don't actual know much about the story of the game!

I think it'll be decent and I think it'll be the best and most faithful Warhammer game ever released. However I don't think it'll be flawless and I guess we'll have to settle for good enough rather than great.

I was just thinking along the lines of sega making the game as an unpainted set of WH figures and allowing the mod community to paint in the rest. I really hope that's not the case, but i wouldnt put it past them, especially with a TW release. They've pretty much all been disastrous.

good news

The Chaos faction (currently a preorder bonus) will be available to play against even if you dont own the dlc - so they'll be in the game, you just wont be able to choose them as a playable faction until you buy the dlc or at this stage, scrounge the cash together for a preorder within the next 6 weeks.

And wow, do they look brutal! In the best possible way ofc

good news

The Chaos faction (currently a preorder bonus) will be available to play against even if you dont own the dlc - so they'll be in the game, you just wont be able to choose them as a playable faction until you buy the dlc or at this stage, scrounge the cash together for a preorder within the next 6 weeks.

And wow, do they look brutal! In the best possible way ofc

When did it become ok to be this blatant about locking out basic content long before the game is even released? Jesus.

i dont think it ever did, but they've alleviated one of my fears, in that if people dont preorder and dont have the chaos as a playable faction, they'll still be in the game to at least play against.

I get that companies have to make money, and this type of dlc/preorderbonus is fairly common practice, but i reckon they're doing it reasonably right by being inclusive of the race in the game

The DLC factions were usually in game even if you couldn't play as them, or patched into the game when they were added as DLC.

Not sure I'll preorder as Sega are good for the Humble deals ect.

yeah, you're right, maybe i was just expecting the worst

Actually considering the High king edition.

Going to figure out what ring size I am.

See if it's up anywhere for less than the £99 (since sterling is low against euro)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Very wary of pre-ordering it, given their last few launches. Think i'll wait a while and let them patch it a few times first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Not preordering for two reasons:

1. Rome 2 (I didn't preorder then but I did hear the screaming all the way over here)
    2. The DLC preorder bull**** regarding Chaos. It was blatant as ****.

Advertisement