Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Waiting for launch on this.....and on the DK2.

Should be unreal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Debating between getting this... or Star Citizen - hmmzzz....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dusty Philosopher

Would this be good enough to run elite in high settings.

AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core
    PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB might upgraded to 7950 3gb card.
    8gb of ram

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Debating between getting this... or Star Citizen - hmmzzz....

Star Citizen, if they pull off what they say, will probably have more to do. That's a very big if though.

Elite will be out much sooner, and seems to be further along in development than Star Citizen.

Either one would probably be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Buy Elite Dangerous now and wait about 6 months for Star Citizen to get developed a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anyone ideas on when standard release is?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Would this be good enough to run elite in high settings.

AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core
    PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB might upgraded to 7950 3gb card.
    8gb of ram

off the elite page:
    Development of the game is ongoing, and so recommended specifications are currently only available for the Beta builds.
    Minimum recommended hardware specification:
    Direct X 11
    Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
    2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
    DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video ram
    Internet connection
    Supported Operating Systems:
    Windows 7.x
    Windows 8.x
    For the final game the minimum hardware specifications may be lower as further code optimisations are completed.

You should be fine mate.

Buy Elite Dangerous now and wait about 6 months for Star Citizen to get developed a bit more

I think it'll be a bit longer than that....I've been keeping an eye on it, and I think the final version of Elite will be much better optimized, and will include landing on planets, walking around ships, etc etc. Braben seems to be more interested in getting the core game right and working 'properly' before adding all those extra bits, whereas SC is trying to do everything at once, and falling waaaay behind, even though they have 20 times the budget. With the budget they (SC) have, they should be way further ahead by now. That's just the impression I'm getting.....

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Anyone ideas on when standard release is?

Standard reply is Q4 2014. Probably a late Nov early Dec release. (hopefully:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I've played Elite Dangerous and kindof love it.
    It feels like the original Elite - very much - with 2014 graphics which are beautiful.
    You really feel like you're flying around the galaxy, and by all accounts, it's one of the best demo's of the Oculus Rift available right now.
    So +1 for Elite.

Keep in mind too that David Braben wrote the first ever game of this kind - and has been probably thinking about how to make it better since 1984. There is a huge fan base who are helping make the game better too... evident based upon their Kickstarter success.

• Advertisement

Cheers turbot, a lot of people playing it seem to think the same thing, not heard any bad reports as yet, which is goooood. I played the original for hours on end back when everythin was in Black & White:-)
    Seriously tempted to purchase Lifetime Expansion pack before it goes at the end of the month.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Elite: Dangerous - Cockpit Interiors

Seriously tempted to purchase Lifetime Expansion pack before it goes at the end of the month.....

I think I'll do this. I suppose you don't have to buy the base game along with it, at least not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dusty Philosopher

Going to get myself either the dev kit 2 oculus rift or wait for the commercial, already have the x52 pro to go with 3 x 22.5 inch screen, prefer to have the oculus but I am fine with voice attack and trackerIR.

Yeah, having 3 screens + trackir is a good reason to wait for the commercial rift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Just bought the base game and lifetime expansion pass for a total of €80. I can't remember the last time I dropped a wad like that on a video game, it's kind of embarrassing. Nevertheless, I'm ready to go and can't wait. I just hope I don't get devoured by virtual reality pirates using fancy joysticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

just bought into the Beta :)

I've been putting this game on hold until they release support for the DK2. Beta 1 next week should be interesting but I wouldnt be surprised if there are problems with the amount of players that are suddenly going to appear online.
    I hope they add singleplayer as an option so that I can demo docking and hyperspace to others using the DK2

I've been putting this game on hold until they release support for the DK2. Beta 1 next week should be interesting but I wouldnt be surprised if there are problems with the amount of players that are suddenly going to appear online.
    I hope they add singleplayer as an option so that I can demo docking and hyperspace to others using the DK2
    Space games are one of the best genres for VR, higher rez of DK2 should really help with combat compared to DK1

Yes, any seated games should work best. looking forward to ETS2 as well

Yes, any seated games should work best. looking forward to ETS2 as well
    ETS2 is a cracker with it, needs a wheel though for the best experience

On Topic, is the beta starting at the end of the month multiplayer only or?

• Advertisement

I ahvent heard about single player being enabled. You'll still be able to play the single player scenarios without affecting your progress or ship in multiplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

I hope no one minds a rather large screenshot.

One of the things I really like about the vastness of Elite is its tranquillity, in parts. I had just hyperspace jumped into the LHS 3006 system and then powered down most of my systems. So I sat there, watching the roiling surface of a star as ice slowly formed over the windscreen. It really is a beautiful game.

j9xio4h.jpg

On another occasion, I went out to Asellus 3's extraction site and again powered down my systems. There's a number of AI pirates in the area who prey upon both the workers and players and piloting Cobra MKIIs and Anacondas, they're tough.

So instead I watched as a couple of ships flew about in combat. Players came and went, some were destroyed while others fled. Eventually my nerves had gotten the better of me and I shifted power to engines, started everything up and got out of Dodge.

After that, I decided to explore some of the unknown signal sources. Mostly just some unmanned probes emitting Morse code but in one instance it hid an ambush by a group of pirates piloting Eagles. Still being in my lowly Sidewinder (and packing two not-at-all hefty pulse lasers), I did the usual maniacal series of spins and turns before booting up supercruise. But I hadn't learned my lesson with that; my curiosity had not been dampened in the least.

Eventually I made my way to the I Bootis system, controlled by the Federation. There I encountered a very strange, very red planet. The gravity well made getting to the signal source on its opposite (relative) side a pain to get to. So much so that eventually I called the search off and instead made for the curiously named "Navigation Beacon". As it turned out, a bunch of Federation ships were refuelling and resupplying before moving on. More than that, their comms chatter revealed that they were on their way to the Eranin system.

I'm looking forward to a lot of stories emerging from all this. An entire universe for people to make their way in; it should be fun.

Mostly I've been squandering my credits on risky adventuring that's seen me dying a number of times. Once, embarrassingly enough, by crashing into an asteroid that I only detected too late to alter my course and speed. On another occasion, after mine and my enemy's shields had been depleted, I decided to go out with a bang and rammed them head on... while they were piloting an Anaconda.

Trading has been too tedious for me, what with hauling four units of cargo around for pennies in profit. Taking down Federation fighters in Eranin is far more enjoyable (and satisfying!). It's slow but I was hoping to build up enough credits to buy an Eagle and go out hunting bounties.

Now I'm waiting for the inevitable reset and looking forward to missions and expanded gameplay with things like fuel management.

Nice pic, the stars are going to look even better in the final game too (perhaps even in Beta 1?): http://youtu.be/OGupxOG853I (I could stare at that for ages)

I'm very happy with the way they are going to show trading routes too because it was a bit unfair on those who don't have the time to generate their own trading calculators. In the future you would imagine that we would have access to lots of market data within our ships. In the final game they are going to visualise trade routes in the star map so that everyone has a better chance at making money: http://youtu.be/FourfVPc9Zc of course this will also make lucrative trade routes even more dangerous since pirates will know where to strike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Signed up of the beta and lifetime expansions yesterday. Whoop. Loved this game on the C64 and more so in it's 16bit incarnation on the ST back in the day. I hope you can still buy a docking computer. Docking was always a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

*sigh*

I really want to sign up. I really do. But I just can't spend that money right now and it's my last chance :(

Someone help!!!!

TinCool wrote: »
    Signed up of the beta and lifetime expansions yesterday. Whoop. Loved this game on the C64 and more so in it's 16bit incarnation on the ST back in the day. I hope you can still buy a docking computer. Docking was always a pain in the hole.
    Docking is not as difficult as Frontier on the Amiga but it might take a bit of practice. I think the default setting is to match the station's rotation when you get close enough so then you just post yourself through the letterbox and switch to lateral and vertical thrusters when hovering over your pad. There are lots of videos on youtube that will help you. Flying in general might be a bit frustrating at first but stick with it.

Sorry Noxin, beta access starts tomorrow for €60 but you should be able to buy it up until the full game is released later this year. The released game will cost only €40 I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Noxin wrote: »
    *sigh*

I really want to sign up. I really do. But I just can't spend that money right now and it's my last chance :(

Someone help!!!!
    Treat it as a steam sale; living on noodles for a month is ok, really :pac:

I just got the Lifetime expansion yesterday, will pre order game when we get a release date. I have a Logitech extreme 3d pro joystick, so i hope that'll work on it. Also will pick up voice attack as that is so feckin cool(and cheap)

Sorry Noxin, beta access starts tomorrow for €60 but you should be able to buy it up until the full game is released later this year. The released game will cost only €40 I think.
    Nody wrote: »
    Treat it as a steam sale; living on noodles for a month is ok, really :pac:

I can't believe I just dropped 100 quid here. I really am in trouble for doing so. You have no idea how much..

But for now, DOWNLOAD TIME!!! :P:D:cool::pac:

• Advertisement

Shameless double post.

I've played a bit of the single player missions.

Love the look and feel to this. Not easy to get the hang of controls but I can already see myself splashing out on a good joystick for this. It seems like one would give a bit of an advantage with the right setup.

Did the first couple of missions but that one where you need to take out a squadron of ships. Feck me. I can manage 2 or so but after that I eventually get my a$$ handed to me :P

Advertisement