Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eire's Territorial Claim

• 02-10-2013 12:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42

Would Eire's territorial claim over northern Ireland have made much of a difference had Fianna Fail ran candidates in the north aswel as the south?

And why didn't Fianna Fail form under an All Ireland party if they were so concerned about ending partition?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

FF had a majority in the 26 counties. In a 32 county Ireland they would have lost that majority and the Unionists would have had the balance of power.

Look at the politics of Israel today to see the sort of things that leads to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

As a note eire ≠ Éire -- fada's are important people! (N.B. eire = burden/encumbrance)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

As with Seán - male person's forename, as commonly spelled, sean [old].

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is there a way to write fadas out for people who don't have Irish keyboards and don't want to change the keyboard settings or say for a url? Like how in german you can write 'ö' as 'oe'

Well, on my Japanese keyboard, I press the Alt Gr key and then the letter, and behold, it then gets its fada. Like this - á é í ó ú

No idea what you'd do with a Western keyboard, though.

tac

• Advertisement

Well that used to work on the keyboard I used in Ireland, but now I only use German keyboards where it doesn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

click on program-accessorizes-character map
    Everything is there

é

That works alright.

But it still doesn't answer all of the original question concerning urls.. I am guessing not as sinn féin's website is sinnfein.ie, contrast with that of the FPÖ, fpoe.at.

Apologies for dragging this thread so far off topic :o

Perhaps it could even been split out and moved to the Irish language forum?

That works alright.

But it still doesn't answer all of the original question concerning urls.. I am guessing not as sinn féin's website is sinnfein.ie, contrast with that of the FPÖ, fpoe.at.

Apologies for dragging this thread so far off topic :o

Perhaps it could even been split out and moved to the Irish language forum?

At the moment .ie doesn't support internationalised URL's (eg. with fada's) from what I've heard its in the works at some stage. Once that happens it would be valid to register domains such as sinnféin.ie etc

Of course in Dutch they dont use acute accents they just double the vowels, result ee in dutch is pronunced like é in Irish (and not like ee in English -- Great Vowel Shift in English after 15th century)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

Is there a way to write fadas out for people who don't have Irish keyboards and don't want to change the keyboard settings or say for a url? Like how in german you can write 'ö' as 'oe'

as a Seán I know this pain :P

hold Ctrl + Alt and whatever letter you choose

• Advertisement

Works for me on either of my Western lap-tops....thank you! Interesting that it only works, as it should, on vowels.

tac, not tác

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

tac foley wrote: »
    tác

I knew it...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

dubhthach wrote: »
    As a note eire ≠ Éire -- fada's are important people! (N.B. eire = burden/encumbrance)

Also important to add that Éire means Ireland and refers to the whole country and not just the 26 counties.

Neutronale wrote: »
    Also important to add that Éire means Ireland and refers to the whole country and not just the 26 counties.

I would have thought it was obvious after Ireland = (é)ire+land

Neutronale wrote: »

You mean it can refer to both right?

You mean it can refer to both right?

Poetic useage of the name Éire predates the partition of Ireland.

tac

Advertisement