Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vpn to connect to server

• 20-10-2020 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Morning,
    I have a friend who works in a gp surgery. They use the medical software Socrates which runs from a main server in the surgery.
    They want to be able to use Socrates from at home but need access to the sever, I assume that a vpn will achieve this?
    What vpn would ye recommend or am I on the right path here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭rocketspocket

Not a trivial exercise TBH - can you friend not install a remote connection tool to their work machine & use something like teamviewer to connect to it - that would only take a few minutes to setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Not a trivial exercise TBH - can you friend not install a remote connection tool to their work machine & use something like teamviewer to connect to it - that would only take a few minutes to setup?

I don't see why not, these are fairly easy to setup

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭rocketspocket

yea - sounds like the best approach - if you were to go down a VPN route you would need the following;
    • Static IP Address in the surgery (to Route back to the office)
    • A VPN Client for your friend
    • A Router in the Office to accept the VPN connection (VPN Server)
    • The correct routing protocols in place on the VPN to access the office server
    • With all that in place you're then down to configuring the server application & have it work over a VPN (maybe easy, maybe not)

Its do-able & a lot of large companies do just this (with a full IT Team supporting it) however for you then this makes much more sense IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Redriddick wrote: »
    Morning,
    I have a friend who works in a gp surgery. They use the medical software Socrates which runs from a main server in the surgery.
    They want to be able to use Socrates from at home but need access to the sever, I assume that a vpn will achieve this?
    What vpn would ye recommend or am I on the right path here?

A reverse ssh tunnel might also work. You can set up an ssh server at home. Connect from the office to the home server and then forward the Socrates port back over the connection.:cool:

Thanks for the reply guys, are there other setups besides teamviewer??
    Just want to give them a few options price wise, teamviewer is 15 quid a month

• Advertisement

Ssh or VPN were already suggested.

Ssh or VPN were already suggested.
    Sorry should have said programs, I.e. alternatives to teamviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Niska

Sorry should have said programs, I.e. alternatives to teamviewer

Anyplace Control has a free option - their Basic Plan. Only used it within a VPN, but there is a connect via Computer ID (rather than IP) so should be fine:

http://www.anyplace-control.com/buy.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

yea - sounds like the best approach - if you were to go down a VPN route you would need the following;
    • Static IP Address in the surgery (to Route back to the office)
    • A VPN Client for your friend
    • A Router in the Office to accept the VPN connection (VPN Server)
    • The correct routing protocols in place on the VPN to access the office server
    • With all that in place you're then down to configuring the server application & have it work over a VPN (maybe easy, maybe not)

Its do-able & a lot of large companies do just this (with a full IT Team supporting it) however for you then this makes much more sense IMHO

A DNS record and Open on is all that's needed. They're already running a server that can thus host it. Fairly fire and forget.

ED E wrote: »
    A DNS record and Open on is all that's needed. They're already running a server that can thus host it. Fairly fire and forget.
    Can you explain this ed

• Advertisement

Are teamviewer, anyplace etc. safe to use, is the encryption safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tread carefully here. You are exposing patient information on the Internet.

Do Socrates have a recommended solution?

Best answer so far

I will be contacting them prior to doing anything, for the exact reason you have stated!!!

I will be contacting them prior to doing anything, for the exact reason you have stated!!!

Actually, whoever supplies and supports the servers that the Socrates system sits on might be better positioned to answer. It is really a 'remote access' question, not a Socrates question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭65535

My alternative to team viewer is remoteutilities.com
    Free licence for connections up to 10 sites.
    Never had an issue with it.
    If you prefer you can setup your own server to link you and the remote site.

https://www.remoteutilities.com/index.php?src=app

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This popped up on the main page so I have to throw in my 2 cents......

Under GDPR health data is needs to have additional security considerations added to it so considering even a well known, tried and tested solution like Teamviewer would be dodgy, I'd imagine the GP has some kind of malpractice insurance that would include wrongful disclosure of patient data so I'd tread extremely carefully.

From a technology point of view there's LOADS of cheap, easy way of doing it, from a data point of view I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PaiDragon

Thanks for the reply guys, are there other setups besides teamviewer??
    Just want to give them a few options price wise, teamviewer is 15 quid a month

Neorouter is a free option and almost zero configuration I have used this myself for many years and find it does everything I need. Eg proxy shared network folders and remote desktop

I also use neorouter - you need a 'server' - win 7 would do.
    I do prefer remoteutilities.com

• Advertisement

65535 wrote: »
    I also use neorouter - you need a 'server' - win 7 would do.
    I do prefer remoteutilities.com

You would be happy to base the security of private medical information on an unsupported operating system?

You would be happy to base the security of private medical information on an unsupported operating system?

Not my decision.
    It also works on 'supported' os'es

Advertisement