Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Delivery

• 16-09-2020 2:39pm

Just putting this out there to see if it's happened to anyone else.

Got a text from An Post saying my packages would be out for delivery in two days. Was not waiting on anything so thought it strange. Was out this morning and when i got back my neighbour dropped in three boxes that were delivered for me. When i looked at the labels they were from An Post Portlaoise and contained various clothes items and shoes from a company named Zulily which i've never bought anything from before.

I looked at the address label and it had someone else's name with mine and half my address, half theirs. Any ideas what might have happened there?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For an post to text you, that means they had been given your mobile number. And the delivery shows they had your address. I was going to say that company must have cocked up and merged your addresses, but if you've never shopped with them, i'm a bit stumped.

Anyone else in your household who could have ordered it? Or has access to your accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I think Zulily is one of those companies that advertise clothes on facebook. Some of those companies change names regularly.

There was no invoices or anything in any of the boxes apart from what looked like a receipt for one of the people that was on one of the boxes.
    All boxes had different names and different parts of the country. Also, that delivery notice was emailed to me from An Post too.
    No idea how they would have gotten my email address.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I think Zulily is one of those companies that advertise clothes on facebook. Some of those companies change names regularly.

I wonder if maybe my old FB account was hacked or something.
    I deactivated it a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

There was no invoices or anything in any of the boxes apart from what looked like a receipt for one of the people that was on one of the boxes.
    All boxes had different names and different parts of the country. Also, that delivery notice was emailed to me from An Post too.
    No idea how they would have gotten my email address.

Something very odd about all that

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »

Anyone else in your household who could have ordered it? Or has access to your accounts?

Nope. Definitely not.

Was on to An Post web chat and he said it was delivered in error and they would arrange collection.
    He could not however explain why my name was on the boxes along with someone else's.

I've checked my bank cards and nothing has been taken from them for any purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

have ye opened it? Could be the "seeds from china" thing

Apparently it's a kind of scam where the company mails out worthless crap like a gram weight in seeds in large packages then uses your name as a verified buyer to post a 5star review on their site "Brushing" the stats for whatever the hell they want to actually sell.

Edit: the seeds are most likely mundane species or weeds, there was a bit of a scare about them being invasive, but yeah it's just a stats scam where you get free worthless seeds and the company uses your name and address (ill-gotten or not) to boost their own stats and thereby sales.)

have ye opened it? Could be the "seeds from china" thing

Apparently it's a kind of scam where the company mails out worthless crap like a gram weight in seeds in large packages then uses your name as a verified buyer to post a 5star review on their site "Brushing" the stats for whatever the hell they want to actually sell.

Edit: the seeds are most likely mundane species or weeds, there was a bit of a scare about them being invasive, but yeah it's just a stats scam where you get free worthless seeds and the company uses your name and address (ill-gotten or not) to boost their own stats and thereby sales.)

It's loads of gym type gear (leggings, tracksuit bottoms, etc and also an Art book) Still waiting on someone from An Post to contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Bojill

Was on to An Post web chat and he said it was delivered in error and they would arrange collection.
    He could not however explain why my name was on the boxes along with someone else's.

I've checked my bank cards and nothing has been taken from them for any purchases.

If it was an error, how did they text you?
    Do an post keep mobile numbers on file I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Is your phone number or email address on the package?
    If not, that's the bit I'd be concerned about - how and why An Post had those details.

Silly question, but when you say the package had half your address, half someone else's - have you looked it up? There's no chance the full address actually exists? And potentially someone else with the same name lives there? (stretching coincidence a bit, but stranger things have happened!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

we got 2 deliveries from DPD recently, same thing, clothes delivery, someone elses name but my address and eircode. Dropped them back to the depot and your man said its a scam. People have robbed someone elses card and ordered something cheapish online to a random address. they give a phone number. Person who receives the pakage rings the number to let them know the package delivered. Person says theyll collect it, they never do and then they order more expensive items to their own address

MOH wrote: »
    Is your phone number or email address on the package?
    If not, that's the bit I'd be concerned about - how and why An Post had those details.

Silly question, but when you say the package had half your address, half someone else's - have you looked it up? There's no chance the full address actually exists? And potentially someone else with the same name lives there? (stretching coincidence a bit, but stranger things have happened!).

The intended person's name and address is on the box but is covered by the label that has my name and theirs. Someone from the GPO got in touch with me and they are investigating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

contact the company

Advertisement