Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CTYI Residential Courses Summer 2015

• 27-12-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I am a Transition Year student and am debating attending one of the CTYI residential courses in DCU this summer. I don't know anyone who has ever attended one of the courses and- as the courses are very expensive- I was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on the courses and if they are worthwhile. (I would be interested in either the Criminology course or the social Psychology course)

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I've been going to CTYI for two summers and I can honestly tell you that they were two of the best experiences of my life. I was extremely nervous my first time but I warmed to it immediately, and this is coming from a person who avoids social situations as much as possible. Everyone who goes there is incredibly friendly and understanding, and the classes are extremely enjoyable as well as stimulating. I haven't done criminology or social psychology but I know people who have, and they loved them. There's so much more to the experience outside of classtime as well, especially if you're planning on staying residentially. I would definitely recommend going - it's expensive but I feel that it is worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

emersyn wrote: »
    I've been going to CTYI for two summers and I can honestly tell you that they were two of the best experiences of my life. I was extremely nervous my first time but I warmed to it immediately, and this is coming from a person who avoids social situations as much as possible. Everyone who goes there is incredibly friendly and understanding, and the classes are extremely enjoyable as well as stimulating. I haven't done criminology or social psychology but I know people who have, and they loved them. There's so much more to the experience outside of classtime as well, especially if you're planning on staying residentially. I would definitely recommend going - it's expensive but I feel that it is worth the money.

Thanks so much for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what courses did you do? :)

Thanks so much for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what courses did you do? :)

No problem, I did War and Conflict Studies the first year and I did Film Studies last year

No problem, I did War and Conflict Studies the first year and I did Film Studies last year

Oh okay :) I was going to do War and Conflict Studies this year if it was offered but it wasn't unfortunately. Are the classes more like lectures or typical secondary-school classes?

Oh okay :) I was going to do War and Conflict Studies this year if it was offered but it wasn't unfortunately. Are the classes more like lectures or typical secondary-school classes?

They're not at all like secondary school classes, the atmosphere is much more relaxed and I feel that there's far more mutual respect between the lecturer and the pupils in comparison to school where the teachers are often completely authoritarian and have no respect for students. Also the information taught in the courses is usually taken from the first year syllabus of university students so it's similar to lectures in an educational sense as well as the overall atmosphere :)

• Advertisement

They're not at all like secondary school classes, the atmosphere is much more relaxed and I feel that there's far more mutual respect between the lecturer and the pupils in comparison to school where the teachers are often completely authoritarian and have no respect for students. Also the information taught in the courses is usually taken from the first year syllabus of university students so it's similar to lectures in an educational sense as well as the overall atmosphere :)

Oh okay! :) that sounds way better than classes in school. Also just one more question (sorry about this!): it says in the brohure that you have study for two hours everyday- does the work you're assigned take ages to do or does it depend on the course? :)

The type and length of work would definitely differ in each course, like when I did War and Conflict Studies we had two big projects that we had to complete and all of the study time went towards completing those two things, whereas in Film Studies we only spent the last half of the course on a project and were assigned smaller individual questions most other nights. But in both of the courses the workloads were very manageable, most people got everything finished with time to spare, and even if you do end up not getting something done there's lots of free time outside of classes and studying when you can finish stuff. (And no problem, I'm happy to help :) )

The type and length of work would definitely differ in each course, like when I did War and Conflict Studies we had two big projects that we had to complete and all of the study time went towards completing those two things, whereas in Film Studies we only spent the last half of the course on a project and were assigned smaller individual questions most other nights. But in both of the courses the workloads were very manageable, most people got everything finished with time to spare, and even if you do end up not getting something done there's lots of free time outside of classes and studying when you can finish stuff. (And no problem, I'm happy to help :) )

Thanks so much for answering my questions. :) You've been a great help :D

No problem, I hope you have a great time if you decide to go!:)

Advertisement