Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Our best long distance runner runs for Australia, you couldn’t make it up

She has lived in Australia for over 20 years and only took up any form of Athletics less than 10 years ago, there is nothing to make up here, it makes perfect sense that she is running for Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Pogue eile wrote: »
    She has lived in Australia for over 20 years and only took up any form of Athletics less than 10 years ago, there is nothing to make up here, it makes perfect sense that she is running for Australia.

It’s also not that big a deal in terms of results. She might be top 20 at the Olympics. Fionnuala McCormack was 20th at the last one and it barely registered

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dodge wrote: »
    Actually I misread the document. As there’s no qualifying tournament for America the Brazilian is automatically seeded number 3 (as are all the top ranked American qualifiers)

Kellie is indeed number 1 seed in Tokyo.

Better again then and she looks worthy of the No.1 seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

jamule wrote: »
    They didn't really do anything to her. They had a higher standard than the Q for the worlds, she got the standard, they said no, she was pissed, australlia atletics said yeah, she ran for austrailia.

Given the lack of forward thinking at the best of times, AAI were not going to change their qualifying time for a 33yr old that never ran in ireland or was ever on their radar.

Saying that if she was coached by Bideau back in 2013 the opposite would have happened!

That's not true. They only changed the standard from 2:43 to 2:33:30 after Sinead indicated she wanted to compete for Ireland in Beijing 2015 Worlds, having already bagged a 2:34 in late 2014. It was a deliberate ploy to avoid having to pick her. For Rio the next year, the qualification standard was back down to 2:45 or so.

It's indefensible.

Sinead wanted to run for Ireland. She always presumed she would, saying "I'm Irish after all".

Pogue eile wrote: »

There are tons or articles online about this. Sinead wanted to run for Ireland. I've even heard her say it to me in the flesh.

• Advertisement

It’s also not that big a deal in terms of results. She might be top 20 at the Olympics. Fionnuala McCormack was 20th at the last one and it barely registered

There's more to the Olympics than medals, or top 8 placings. Sinead's story is truly inspiring. Athletics Ireland could have milked her big time. Their loss.

Had the Olympics been last year, I think Sinead could have hit top 8. Not sure what impact the extra year will have. Sinead in 2019 v Fionnuala in 2016 though is no comparison. Sinead was in much better form. Fionnuala has stepped up though since in the marathon and hopefully can threaten a top 10.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    There's more to the Olympics than medals, or top 8 placings. Sinead's story is truly inspiring. Athletics Ireland could have milked her big time. Their loss.

Had the Olympics been last year, I think Sinead could have hit top 8. Not sure what impact the extra year will have. Sinead in 2019 v Fionnuala in 2016 though is no comparison. Sinead was in much better form. Fionnuala has stepped up though since in the marathon and hopefully can threaten a top 10.
    A couple of days ago, someone here said Ireland lost its best medal hope. She has no hope of a medal. That was my point.

I don’t believe her story is that inspiring, and I don’t believe AI would have or could have milked it. It’s a strawman argument either way now as it won’t change. I actually think she got more press here by running for Australia but again, that can’t be proved either way

You and others are more qualified to comment on how she was treated. I know she was unhappy with it (from what I’ve read) but so be it. She’s decided to run for Australia and that’s that

A couple of days ago, someone here said Ireland lost its best medal hope. She has no hope of a medal. That was my point.

I don’t believe her story is that inspiring, and I don’t believe AI would have or could have milked it. It’s a strawman argument either way now as it won’t change. I actually think she got more press here by running for Australia but again, that can’t be proved either way

You and others are more qualified to comment on how she was treated. I know she was unhappy with it (from what I’ve read) but so be it. She’s decided to run for Australia and that’s that

I took it to mean our best hope of a medal we've ever had in the women's marathon, as no other meaning could have made sense. Of course, she has zero chance of a medal, but she'd certainly have been our best prospect of a high placing in the women's marathon for a few decades.

I find her story very inspiring, so we'll agree to disagree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Updated state of play

https://www.balls.ie/olympics/updated-list-of-every-irish-athlete-qualified-for-the-summer-olympics-410870

The world judo championship is happening now. Tough draw for Megan Fletcher but even one win might be enough

I see she finished 5th at the World Championship. Hopefully enough to get her to the Olympics.

I see she finished 5th at the World Championship. Hopefully enough to get her to the Olympics.

Making the last 16 meant she was safe. A very good day for her. Beat 2 women ranked above her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Heading into the final furlong of qualification. By my count Team Ireland currently has 90 quotas with the following Sports left:

Rugby Sevens: Qualification Tournament this weekend. Basically between France, Ireland and Samoa. France should be heavy favourites to win the spot but you never know what may happen.

Swimming: Final Trials next week At NAC. A number of swimmers are very close to the qualifying time but in Swimming a tenth of a second is a lot. Hopefully people like Brendan Hyland and Danielle Hill others make it.

Athletics. We have currently 10 athletes in qualifying positions and a few others just outside. There are a few meeting over the next few days and the Nationals next weekend which have good ranking points. Problem is other countries have their NCs too. We could qualify anything from 6 to 12 but my prediction is 8.

Golf: Rankings close at end of month and we have 4 definite qualifiers.

Weightlifting: ( gasp!) Believe it or not we have an outsode chance of qualifying Sean Browne in 81kg class. All depends on wild cards and what other countries do and also if some countries are suspended. Currently at appeal status.

By my reckoning thats it. On the flip side we could lose quotas as follows:

Equestrian: Our Dressage Team has been decimated with 3 of the 4 riders that qualified withdrawing through retirements, injury and pregnancy. Alex Baker has to make a MER and if she cant do we will have to pull out.

Diving: A complete mess by FINA. Too may qualified at the last World Cup and they are way over the number of quotas allotted to diving. Our two divers are not yet confirmed and its possible thy actually wont be allocated spots.

Judo. Ben Fletcher has qualified but he broke his leg in February. In April he said he would be back in time for Tokyo but his Social Media Accounts have gone dark this two months which to me is not a good sign.

Ben Fletcher is on Instagram all the time, and posts training updates all the time. He still looks uneasy on his feet to me but he isn’t hiding

He posts on stories rather than posts

https://instagram.com/benfletcherjudo92?utm_medium=copy_link

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Ben Fletcher is on Instagram all the time, and posts training updates all the time. He still looks uneasy on his feet to me but he isn’t hiding

He posts on stories rather than posts

https://instagram.com/benfletcherjudo92?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm no expert on Instagram but I cant find anything this past six weeks.

In any case, hope he's able to compete.

Oldira wrote: »
    I'm no expert on Instagram but I cant find anything this past six weeks.

In any case, hope he's able to compete.

Click into his strories (his profile photo will bring you there). He posted training videos yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Mens 7s rugby team won their opening game against Zimbabwe 31-10
    Playing Mexico at 11.12 next

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Team Ireland announced Rowing Ireland team. As expected.
    https://www.rowingireland.ie/olympic-team-official-selection/
    Two Gold medal World Champion crews and a Silver medal crew in the mix. And a women’s four coming good at the right time.
    🇮🇪ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‡®ðŸ‡ªðŸ‘ðŸ»

Mens 7s rugby team won their opening game against Zimbabwe 31-10
    Playing Mexico at 11.12 next

31-0 win against Mexico and 43-0 against Tonga. Very easy comfortable wins.

Samoa tomorrow before the playoffs. France and Hong Kong are through in the other group and like ourselves and Samoa play each other tomorrow to decide who finishes first and second in each group

Today's the day for the men's sevens team. Realistically they have a 33% chance at best of qualifying here, looking at the results yesterday there seems to be very little between Ireland, France and Samoa. If they beat Samoa in the first game at lunchtime their chances should go up a little as that would likely mean a semi final against Hong Kong, who look weaker than the other three semifinalists.

Today's the day for the men's sevens team. Realistically they have a 33% chance at best of qualifying here, looking at the results yesterday there seems to be very little between Ireland, France and Samoa. If they beat Samoa in the first game at lunchtime their chances should go up a little as that would likely mean a semi final against Hong Kong, who look weaker than the other three semifinalists.

Good win against Samoa. Knew Samoans would be physical but they were even more than i expeccted.
    France playing Hong Kong now then its semis after 3 with final just after 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Cass wrote:
    Wonder who released them? Isn't it illegal and punishable by fine, etc?

Do we have to win the final to qualify?

• Advertisement

I think it was always France being huge favourites and Ireland being the only one who *might* beat them

Anyway the Semis are Ireland v Hong Kong, France v Samoa

I think it was always France being huge favourites and Ireland being the only one who *might* beat them

Anyway the Semis are Ireland v Hong Kong, France v Samoa

Samoa will be a handful though even with us beating them 21-7 just there as
    theyve such physicality which can be factor if we had to play them again

France will be favourites though and always have been. Theyre the side with most top level experience and being at home as well...

France cruising in their semi final. Will be a big ask to beat them (assuming we beat HK which should be a formality).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anyway of watching

Will be comfortable enough win against Hong Kong going by first half.

Anyway of watching

World Rugby website is streaming it

28-5 win in semi final

All on the final now at 6.06

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

France cruising in their semi final. Will be a big ask to beat them (assuming we beat HK which should be a formality).

I'd say we're in with a shout. It's basically a cup final and Ireland are clearly in the top 2 sides (even if France are favourites) - just need some luck in running and hope we can just about edge it out on the scoreboard.

we lead 14-12

3 1/2 minutes to go

• Advertisement

21-12 lead now. 2 tries from Jordon Conroy

2 minutes to go and France have to score twice so were very close to qualifying!!

Advertisement