Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disability Allowance Means Test (Self-Employed)

2»

Comments

Hi Snow white.

I am on disability allowance and am self employed since 2015.
    I have a multitude of health problems which i discuss on another thread.
    Was there a copy of your accounts or tax return requested.
    The first €120 weekly is disregarded when it comes to the means test.

Some good news was announced in the last budget for us. The €120 was increased to €140 in June.

Anything that is earned between €350 and €140 is halved and that is considered your means. The disability allowance is reduced by this.

You probably no this already but if not it might give you a bit of a guide.

If the weekly means or weekly profit goes over this, the weekly disability allowance is reduced accordingly. Thats what i was told.

I no it sounds a bit complicated but the citizens information website is excellent on this.

Hope this helps a bit.

Take Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just a little update:

I actually rang DA section this morning and they were really lovely.

Woman on the phone said almost everyone would get likely called up for means-tested reviews on DSP over coming weeks due to the pandemic and income changing for the bulk of people – but assured me that I was just one of thousands getting called.

She also said in the case of the more complex cases such as the self-employed I might be called up to go to my local intro office which I said was fine and she advised to mark on the statements the payments as I didn't have wage slips to make it easier for the person doing the review.

She also said it could take up to a year (!) for them to come back with the rate feedback so just to submit and forget about it because I could be in for a long wait and there was no point in being anxious about something I might not know the outcome of for 12 months.

That's great so less worrying now :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

Hi Snow white.

I am on disability allowance and am self employed since 2015.
    I have a multitude of health problems which i discuss on another thread.
    Was there a copy of your accounts or tax return requested.
    The first €120 weekly is disregarded when it comes to the means test.

Some good news was announced in the last budget for us. The €120 was increased to €140 in June.

Anything that is earned between €350 and €140 is halved and that is considered your means. The disability allowance is reduced by this.

You probably no this already but if not it might give you a bit of a guide.

If the weekly means or weekly profit goes over this, the weekly disability allowance is reduced accordingly. Thats what i was told.

I no it sounds a bit complicated but the citizens information website is excellent on this.

Hope this helps a bit.

Take Care.

Thanks so much for this helpful information! They requested my accounts as I don't have wage slips.

And do you know if anything earned between €350 and €140 is halved after taking into account tax and PRSI? Or not?

I hope it's after tax as I take 20% – 25% of everything I earn and put it aside for tax at the end of the year – I don't count it as means I have to spend!

I was also told they take into account things like transport and medical expenses depending on the disability in question when looking at your outgoings – were you ever told this?

I am not fully sure on the tax and prsi part.
    I always gave my net profit. My income was small the last few years. I only paid prisi.

Probably a welfare officer would be in best position to advise.
    The citizens information again could help.
    They have an excellent part on the website on working with disability allowance.
    It covers means testing etc.

Just to confirm again the €140 only came in from 1 June 2020.€120 before that.

Also sometimes the social welfare work out there own means. They accepted my notice of assessment as my means.

I no for some other payments like farm assist they dont allow some expenses. Thats a different job though.

Let me no how you get on.

Good luck again

• Advertisement

Just to confirm again the €140 only came in from 1 June 2020.€120 before that.

Also sometimes the social welfare work out there own means. They accepted my notice of assessment as my means.

I no for some other payments like farm assist they dont allow some expenses. Thats a different job though.

Let me no how you get on.

Good luck again

Thank you so much!

What's a Notice of Assessment as means, if you don't mind my asking?

I was told also it's sometimes definitely them taking it on a case-by-case basis in terms of what counts as expenses and means, dependant on the disability.

I'm sending my accounts and form with a cover note next week but they've said the review could take months so I'm going to send it off and forget about it until I need to worry!

I am not fully sure on the tax and prsi part.
    I always gave my net profit. My income was small the last few years. I only paid prisi.

Probably a welfare officer would be in best position to advise.
    The citizens information again could help.
    They have an excellent part on the website on working with disability allowance.
    It covers means testing etc.

Thank you so much – net profit is a good way to go when you're self-employed I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

What's a Notice of Assessment as means, if you don't mind my asking?

It's the notice that you get back from Revenue confirming the Form 11 information that you filed under ROS. (see box)

As I mentioned previously, SW can access this information from Revenue if necessary, but as they have asked you to provide the means information, it's more convenient if you send them a copy.

I acknowledge receipt of your income tax return and self assessment for the year ending 31/12/20XX.

Details of your Self Assessment are set out as follows:

Amount of income or profits arising for this period €XXXXX
    Amount of income tax chargeable for this period €XXXX
    Amount of USC chargeable for this period for self €XXXX
    Amount of PRSI chargeable for this period for self €XXX

Amount of tax payable for this period €XXXX"

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Dude240502

Woman on the phone said almost everyone would get likely called up for means-tested reviews on DSP over coming weeks due to the pandemic and income changing for the bulk of people – but assured me that I was just one of thousands getting called.

Did anyone else hear this?

Dude240502 wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear this?

The DSP and indeed HSE have been at a standstill in terms of their normal operational procedures in relation to reviews on a host of Benifit/allowance payments, DSP in particular have been totally focused on Pandemic payments and processing for near 14 months now.

Now this has eased, they are returning to normality which includes regular reviews of existing awarded claims. I've heard from a dozen people recently who are under going reviews, not specifically DA & Self employed but DA, JSA, two working family payments etc. I mention HSE as their medical card division are are also reviewing eligibility of medical cards on renewal for 3 people I know.

Reviews are SOP but due to pandemic they were pretty much halted. It's nothing to be concerned about and reviews certainly nothing new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Dude240502

Does that mean that everyone who is on any type of social welfare payment will be reviewed, even the types that normally don't get reviewed, did anyone else hear this, I can't see where it was reported anywhere?

Does that mean that everyone who is on any type of social welfare payment will be reviewed, even the types that normally don't get reviewed, did anyone else hear this, I can't see where it was reported anywhere?

No it does not mean everyone and that is not was said, DSP don't advertise the fact they are reviewing anyone, why would you expect to see it reported on?

All sorts of reviews can take place, medical, financial, means etc this is not new. Every year a percentage of recepients are reviewed. If you take a recent post on another Thread relating to a new Invalidity Pension awarded, it clearly states in the T&C"S recepient must make themselves available for a medical review if requested to do so. It's likely never to happen but the DSP retains the right to review.

I was told by the DSP it was to be expected that most on DSP will be reviewed now given the pandemic - and that it was a totally normal procedure.

It’s known that you can be reviewed on DSP payments at any time so what they told me is not unusual so it wouldn’t be reported anywhere really.

Advertisement