Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving C2 BER

• 13-02-2021 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Bungalow built in 1985 and significantly renovated about 10 years ago, has oil fired central heating. BER Cert says C2, what measures would be needed to improve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Improve the BER rating or improve the house heat retention & comfort? Not necessarily the same thing.

If the former maybe change the lightbulbs, upgrade the boiler & windows, close off some flues, add some eco-bling... depends what's there already and how far up the rating you want to go.

If the latter then a heat loss survey first. Let the results then guide the improvements to address the actual weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I thought they went together.
    Heat loss survey looks to be first step

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Just jumping on this thread.

Our house is a C2 rating also (built in 2008) we bought a few years ago, we got the fireplace plastered up and replaced with an electric fire and replaced the front windows ( more so for aesthetic than heat) but we still find the house a little cold.

1) would the windows/fire enhance our BER?
    2) we were thinking of getting Cavity wall bead insulation, would this help with heat retention? or is it aimed at higher rated BER (F,G) house to make a difference

fitzparker wrote: »
    Just jumping on this thread.

Our house is a C2 rating also (built in 2008) we bought a few years ago, we got the fireplace plastered up and replaced with an electric fire and replaced the front windows ( more so for aesthetic than heat) but we still find the house a little cold.

1) would the windows/fire enhance our BER?
    2) we were thinking of getting Cavity wall bead insulation, would this help with heat retention? or is it aimed at higher rated BER (F,G) house to make a difference

1. Yes it would ... but not necessarily improve things much, if any, from a comfort / heat retention pov.
    2. It might help, but then again it might not. It all depends on how the heat is being lost from the house in the first place. If, as I suspect (2008 built), there could well be significant heat loss via air leakage, then pumping the cavity with bonded bead will make little difference. Do you know what the current wall make up is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

No im not sure, how can I check?

I would expect you are right, the house was built (as a shell) in 2008 but left idle until 2017 when mine along with 12 others were finished.

We did contact them a few years ago (before we got windows/fire removed) as it seemed cold and we could hear everything next door

and were advised:

"As you will be aware these houses were largely constructed before we acquired them and our works consisted primarily of internal finishes. The party wall in all houses was block, as opposed to timber frame, so I am surprised as acoustic problems.

For our part we did install double layer attic insulation and modern boilers. The BER rating was independently assessed and the purchasers will have a copy."

• Advertisement

Are there any wall vents you could remove and have a look inside?

If you are hearing speech type sounds clearly from next door then you defo have an air tightness issue to sort.

You can have a type of heat loss survey (independent) done which includes testing for air tightness to pinpoint issues and then address the main culprits found.

Advertisement