Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dormer bungalow retro-insulation advice

Options
  • 28-02-2021 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Some advice please. Lucky enough to have a holiday home that's a dormer bungalow built around the early 2000's. In fairness to the builder its a masterclass of shoddy technique and sourcing of the cheapest material from the 80's. Some retro insulating has been done and the cavity walls have been pumped with bead insulation and the apex of the roof/attic insulated. However the dormer part upstairs is totally uninsulated. The crawl space is ventilated and as such the only separation between the rooms and crawl space is the plasterboard!. There is no insulation between the floors either so that's well ventilated to outside air temperature as well. So basically upstairs is either Baltic or like a sauna !. I understand that holes will have to be cut in the walls to retro insulate the dormer part but what type and method of insulation should I be looking at foam board /spray / rolls etc . Basically I'm looking at best bang for buck while trying to reduce the amount of destruction/rebuilding. A grant was claimed for the wall and attic insulation so pretty sure that's not an option ..TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

By all means add insulation to the knee walls and attic floor however ....

dormers are especially notorious for complete lack of air tightness and unless you get this sorted then no amount of insulation will help I'm afraid.

Research air tightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

MicktheMan wrote: »
    By all means add insulation to the knee walls and attic floor however ....

dormers are especially notorious for complete lack of air tightness and unless you get this sorted then no amount of insulation will help I'm afraid.

Research air tightness.

Will do thanks

Advertisement