Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

widen opening

Options
  • 21-06-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi
    have just bought a house with an existing sunroom extension. This is connected to the kitchen through an opening that was originally a window in the rear wall of the house, now cut to ground level with a patio door installed. (see pics).

The kitchen was originally two rooms, now knocked into one and you can see the RSJ on the left of the pic, running perpendicular to the rear wall.

We want to widen the opening to the sunroom as far as the pillar on the left of the door (c. 1 metre).

Presumably this is aload bearing wall and would need support if we widened it. Is the way to proceed to hire an engineer to confirm this and specify the support required then get quotes from builders? and any idea what the rough total cost of knocking the wall and plastering the opening would be.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

We can’t offer structural advice here.

but a local structural engineer would assess (& give drawing) the ope, and be able to give a ball park install price range. Then get 3 builders quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A lot of work in what looks like a very neat house :)
    I can see the access issue.
    if it were my gaff I would look at changing the door, maybe a bifold to the right as you look out.
    You won't gain the full meter, its also a big job as a new RSJ will need to be fitted all the way across over the existing door, you may lose a bit on the RHS, depending on the design if it has a supporting UC.
    The engineer will spec the rsj etc and then he will need to supervise the work and sign off on to before it gets covered up.
    This piece alone will cost you north of 1,000 plus vat in the current climate

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks for the replies.

We'll be getting rid of the door regardless. The aim would be to better integrate the kitchen and sunroom (to be heavily insulated and function as a dining room).

Advertisement