Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which jeep.

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Apologies for hijacking the thread but has anyone experience of a single cab Isuzu D max? I recently seen a mint 08 Land cruiser make €12,500 and although it's in showroom condition it seems mentle money for what's an 11 year old jeep. It's been on my mind lately to upgrade my own Land cruiser but anything half decent is strong money and a few mid to late 2000's models I've seen are starting to rust and generally degrade.

There was a 161 reg single cab D max advertised awhile back for circa €16,000 and it struck me as good value if a genuine jeep. I'll admit to knowing nothing about them but they seem popular enough although more so as a crewcab. The extra seats are little addition to me as I've no employees or children and I'd imagine a single cab would be bought cheaper than an equivalent crewcab. Am I mad to even consider moving away from Toyota?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Apologies for hijacking the thread but has anyone experience of a single cab Isuzu D max? I recently seen a mint 08 Land cruiser make €12,500 and although it's in showroom condition it seems mentle money for what's an 11 year old jeep. It's been on my mind lately to upgrade my own Land cruiser but anything half decent is strong money and a few mid to late 2000's models I've seen are starting to rust and generally degrade.

There was a 161 reg single cab D max advertised awhile back for circa €16,000 and it struck me as good value if a genuine jeep. I'll admit to knowing nothing about them but they seem popular enough although more so as a crewcab. The extra seats are little addition to me as I've no employees or children and I'd imagine a single cab would be bought cheaper than an equivalent crewcab. Am I mad to even consider moving away from Toyota?

Never saw a single cab D-Max that new, but friends with the crew cab version are happy with them.
    If its not needed for passengers, at least the double cab gives you dry secure storage for stuff that you mightn't want to chance in the back.
    One guy had some problem with a throttle body sensor I think, but changed/cleaned it and then got the egr valve deleted and a remap.

I've seen a few single cab versions and would imagine there very much in the minority. The secure storage element of the crewcab is something I've considered but I'd prefer looking into a canopy for the back even though it might have to be a custom build. I know of a good few D max's locally and I haven't heard anything but praise for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've seen a few single cab versions and would imagine there very much in the minority. The secure storage element of the crewcab is something I've considered but I'd prefer looking into a canopy for the back even though it might have to be a custom build. I know of a good few D max's locally and I haven't heard anything but praise for them.

First jeep here was a single cab Hilux with a truckman canopy, everything seemed to slide to the front of the pickup, Luckily there was always a sheep crook to pull it out, but I always considered it awkward for that reason.
    Your Dmax looks great value and if you have no use for back seats go for it, you should have no problem getting a canopy for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Go for it if it's a pickup or similar you want.

Bear in mind that pickups are not for long distance driving. They are work horses. Had a hilux for 3 months driving a commute as was towing a good bit at work. 3 months was enough.

Great for their intended use though.

• Advertisement

I think a basic canopy would be a must to keep items dry and secure so I'd have to research the cost and availability of one. As regards everything rolling to the front it's something I'd be aware of but it's not a deal breaker either. If I find the right jeep at a suitable price then I'd strongly consider the D max.

I currently have a lwb Land cruiser and most of my daily work requires a jeep or pickup. The Land cruiser may be slightly ahead in the comfort stakes but I don't think it will be a huge change, I drive a friend's 141 Hilux regularly and don't find too much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

i don't think they have anything on a pajero and yet they are a few grand more expensive.

Gearbox. If you are towing, (particularly unbraked) Pajero gearboxes are hit and miss. Some will last, and you could get lucky, but in the 2nd hand market, you'll be running through the lemon trees.

If you are going for a D4D motor, get it cleaned on day one and fit a catch can for the EGR. only way to get old school reliability back into the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Anyone have any experience of the 08-09 2.2 Santa fe jeeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

rushvalley wrote: »

They're not a great engine and those model santa fé's are cheap as a result of this.

Very hard on diesel for a 2.2
    Injector problems, sensor problems and very particular with servicing would be their main drawback.

They aren't a patch on the older 2.0 sante fe for reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

rushvalley wrote: »

They're not a great engine and those model santa fé's are cheap as a result of this.

Very hard on diesel for a 2.2
    Injector problems, sensor problems and very particular with servicing would be their main drawback.

They aren't a patch on the older 2.0 sante fe for reliability.

Tax very expensive as well up on the 900/year for the car type. Lots of lads complaining that CVRT is harder to pass than an NCT. Towing capacity is still sub 2.5tons as well I think

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement