Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyperspin project

• 24-05-2019 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I want to start my first Hyperspin cabinet, but have never touched PC emulation. I was wondering if is it possible just to clone a Hyperspin drive or do I need it to configure and map each game.
    Also, I dont think a fast HDD is needed as I am willing to emulate just arcade games, but will a SSD payoff in booting time when turning the cab on? I dont want to have to wait 5 min each time I turn the cab on.
    Tagged:

Comments

get the SSD,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You want to do everything you can to make it not feel like a 'PC in a box' - boot times/logos are a killer for that, so definitely go for a SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

SSD's are cheaper than ever, no excuse not to whack one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I think you're better off building the drive yourself rather than cloning. That way you'll get what you want and will have the knowledge to re-configure it or fix it if it breaks. You don't configure each game, rather you configure the system, load the roms and then build a database around the folder of roms.

What kind of cabinet are you going for? Do you have plans for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Morpork wrote: »
    I think you're better off building the drive yourself rather than cloning. That way you'll get what you want and will have the knowledge to re-configure it or fix it if it breaks. You don't configure each game, rather you configure the system, load the roms and then build a database around the folder of roms.

What kind of cabinet are you going for? Do you have plans for it?

Yes, I will use an Astro City, maybe a Blast. I plan to buy the cheapest PC I can this week and start playing with it to see what can I do. Mainly interested in old 2d Games, nothing too demanding.

Any ideas where to start looking? Ideally I want it to boot straight to Hyperspin, As less windows logo, etc as possible.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

JaimeB wrote: »
    Yes, I will use an Astro City, maybe a Blast. I plan to buy the cheapest PC I can this week and start playing with it to see what can I do. Mainly interested in old 2d Games, nothing too demanding.

Any ideas where to start looking? Ideally I want it to boot straight to Hyperspin, As less windows logo, etc as possible.

Blast has a Tri sync monitor with a VGA in doesnt it? that'd be handiest out of the two, fairly sure an Astro doesn't so you'd need an adapter to get it working through the jamma loom.

Atomiswave SD would be another one to go for with a tri sync that has VGA in.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

any decent PC will be powerful enough for most 2D stuff. You really need a compatible graphics card and run the emudriver on it. If you are getting a preconfigured image or disk, just swap the mame.exe file with the emudriver compatible groovemame file and you are good to go with perfect looking 2d games.

If you do have a tri sync monitor I'm not sure how healthy it is to constantly switch resolutions. If concerned, I'd leave it in 31khz mode from emudriver and use the scanlines option in mame.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Blast has a Tri sync monitor with a VGA in doesnt it? that'd be handiest out of the two, fairly sure an Astro doesn't so you'd need an adapter to get it working through the jamma loom.

Atomiswave SD would be another one to go for with a tri sync that has VGA in.

Most likely I will go with an Astro, I have one with no wiring so thought a PC with some pad hacks would be the easiest way.

What grpahic card do I need to make it compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Any ATI card that supports VGA. An old ATI Radeon 7000 will do for basic 2D games. The last VGA compatible card ATI made is the R9 R380x and it runs everything including 3D games perfectly but everyone knows about them now so they are going up in price.

Some links:
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=52.0
    and
    http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/index.php

You can link the Astro control panel to the PC directly with a "mini pac" board (https://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html) and connector blocks from radionics.
    I posted the part numbers and a picture of the adapter I made a few months ago here somewhere. It's all plug and play to the PC with no cab modifications needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have an Arcade VGA card here, ArcadeVGA 3000 PCIe, if that's any use to you.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101664326

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have an Arcade VGA card here, ArcadeVGA 3000 PCIe, if that's any use to you.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101664326

I have one of these somewhere too,
    are they any use?
    I havent used mame in a cab in a long,long time.
    I hate to say it but pandoras box are cheaper and handier!!
    although the vga out on a pandora doesnt work with arcade monitors :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You can just use the Jamma harness on a pandoras box though cant you? I put one in a cab recently, they are handy, but the juttering in of graphics is noticeable in some games, they defo save a lot of time messing around with mame\hyperspin though.

You can just use the Jamma harness on a pandoras box though cant you? I put one in a cab recently, they are handy, but the juttering in of graphics is noticeable in some games, they defo save a lot of time messing around with mame\hyperspin though.

Yep they do, if your monitor only has a 31k (vga) input it wont sync .

What version of the box did you have.
    they are up to V9 now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ah just a cheap one, i think it was a 4S or something, it was only 50 quid i think. 630 games i think. I was using the VGA anyways so it didnt matter.

Master of the Universe

Yep they do, if your monitor only has a 31k (vga) input it wont sync .

What version of the box did you have.
    they are up to V9 now.

Their Shmup 'king of air' board comes in a 15k version too, I have one running in my Pony. Have to be careful when you're buying them though as most seem to be 31k only.

There's tearing in quite a few games, however it's worth it alone for the games that run perfectly.

I want the king of air,
    I'm planing on building another cab.for myself this time.
    going to be quickly tatable and be 2 player 6 button.

Master of the Universe

I want the king of air,
    I'm planing on building another cab.for myself this time.
    going to be quickly tatable and be 2 player 6 button.

Saw this homebuild recently and was impressed, looks like a wooden version of a Sega Aero Table

v4w41tkokc521.jpg

Vid of it running

https://imgur.com/gallery/5WI0l0Q

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No one recommended Forgotten Worlds 3 yet?

Download,unpack and its a simple .exe that you can add to the windows startup folder so that it will load on startup.

If you just want a nice easy way to get into emulation its the way to go..leaves you time to concentrate on the cabinet build.

I have pandora in one of my cabs and for me is the best option, but this candy has absolutely no wiring, thats why I thought a computer would be handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have a GroovyMame image that i use with JPAC and Jamma loom.
    Pandora is nice and easy for a quick fix but depends what games you want. There was a hacking project for them but not sure if that's gone now since JammaPlus website died.

• Advertisement

I am trying to get more in on PI-jamma, might be a better option, although more limited.

Advertisement