Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

extortion attempt

• 16-05-2019 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I got an email this evening - it showed up in my junk mail, as I was browsing to delete whatever was there. There was an email there, with an old password of mine in the title. Basically, I was informed that I have been visiting adult web sites(I have, nothing out of the ordinary, but I've always used incognito mode when doing so) and this person had used malware to access my passwords and all my contacts on messenger etc. I have avast on my laptop, and when i ran it, it showed no malware present. They are looking for 968 dollars payment via bitcoin or they will release a video clip of what i have been watching and a video clip of me via my webcam to 8 people on my contacts list. With the usual advisor not to contact the police or anyone as they have covered their tracks etc.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and what did they do? Please no jokes, as I am really freaked out by this tbh, the password they used in the email was my password for Boards ffs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

bsb1971 wrote: »
    I got an email this evening - it showed up in my junk mail, as I was browsing to delete whatever was there. There was an email there, with an old password of mine in the title. Basically, I was informed that I have been visiting adult web sites(I have, nothing out of the ordinary, but I've always used incognito mode when doing so) and this person had used malware to access my passwords and all my contacts on messenger etc. I have avast on my laptop, and when i ran it, it showed no malware present. They are looking for 968 dollars payment via bitcoin or they will release a video clip of what i have been watching and a video clip of me via my webcam to 8 people on my contacts list. With the usual advisor not to contact the police or anyone as they have covered their tracks etc.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and what did they do? Please no jokes, as I am really freaked out by this tbh, the password they used in the email was my password for Boards ffs.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Put your email into this and it will tell you if you have been compromised, it's supposed to be doing the rounds...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057952429/1/#post109321152

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Thanks for that, yes I have been, but nothing recent, seems me and millions of others have been also. It really freaked me out, but will be changing all my passwords now for sure, even if it is an old breach, I used be lazy about passwords, not anymore now I think, even if it is spam, has woken me up alright, even have tape over my webcam now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Delete the email, get a password manager, and carry on with your life. It's just spam using compromised passwords...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Received the very same email saying that they have a video of me visiting adult sites, I don’t even have a webcam! :D

Delete the email and forget about it, but make sure you’ve changed your passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 smokedetector

Keep going on with your life. If you don't give them a chance they will get tired and find another victim. Although it would be nice to show it to police (no need to be shy), maybe they will get some traces.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Keep going on with your life. If you don't give them a chance they will get tired and find another victim. Although it would be nice to show it to police (no need to be shy), maybe they will get some traces.

Good luck.

The police will do nothing. It’s just spam. It’s not like this is a specific targeted extortion attempt, it’s a mass-mail sent to people who’s usernames and passwords were found in a breach. The cops will take it no more serious than a 419 mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

That email has been going around for months. I received the same one in different guises multiple times. The password they used was an old Linkedin password.
    That database was compromised a few years ago and the data only recently was sold on the dark web about a year ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just got this also too. I put my email into the pwnd.com website and 7 hits came up.

Do I need to change all my passwords or should I only need to change the ones for the listed websites? I've changed the ones for my current email addresses, but the listed compromised websites are no longer of interest to me (dormant accounts) so do I need to do anything there?
    Do I need to change the passwords for all my banking etc websites?

Should website administrators not be emailing dormant users after x years to ask if they want to keep their account open or deleted and purged?

In terms of a Password Manager, I understand that I can use potentially complex passowrds for websites without having to remember them, but if the Password Manager app gets hacked, then it is a a bigger issue is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Just got this also too. I put my email into the pwnd.com website and 7 hits came up.

Do I need to change all my passwords or should I only need to change the ones for the listed websites? I've changed the ones for my current email addresses, but the listed compromised websites are no longer of interest to me (dormant accounts) so do I need to do anything there?
    Do I need to change the passwords for all my banking etc websites?

Should website administrators not be emailing dormant users after x years to ask if they want to keep their account open or deleted and purged?

In terms of a Password Manager, I understand that I can use potentially complex passowrds for websites without having to remember them, but if the Password Manager app gets hacked, then it is a a bigger issue is it not?

It’s best practice to change the passwords for the compromised websites, or else delete the accounts if you don’t use them anymore. You only need to change passwords on other sites if you reused passwords from the compromised sites — if that’s the case change the passwords on the other sites NOW! (NEVER reuse passwords)

You are correct that if a password manager gets hacked the you are hosed but the risk is minimal compared to reusing passwords or keeping passwords in a file somewhere. Nothing is 100% safe but a password manager is probably the safest way to store passwords.

Advertisement