Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Hard to vote for green in our area, when no one has ever heard of her. Haven't seen her around at all!

Same on my area. I've never heard of the candidate before and haven't received any leaflets from her. I'm not going to vote for someone who hasn't promoted themselves at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've only had 1 caller to the house - I'm in a fairly rural location but a neighbour down the road is involved with FF so our road always gets a visit from the local FF candidate , no one else bothers (and truth be told , FF wouldn't either were it not for the neighbour)

Lots of postal leaflets though , always get at least 3 copies of everything , presumably because there are 3 registered voters in the house.

Got about 15 flyers by post yesterday , I didn't even look at them just grabbed the whole bundle and dropped them straight into the recycling.

I don't see the point of them really, has anyone ever really had their opinion altered in a positive way by a leaflet through their door?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I
    I don't see the point of them really, has anyone ever really had their opinion altered in a positive way by a leaflet through their door?

They're very handy at letting you know who is either insane or thinks that councillors are actually TDs (based on insane promises that councils don't have the ability to impact)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I've only had 1 caller to the house - I'm in a fairly rural location but a neighbour down the road is involved with FF so our road always gets a visit from the local FF candidate , no one else bothers (and truth be told , FF wouldn't either were it not for the neighbour)

Lots of postal leaflets though , always get at least 3 copies of everything , presumably because there are 3 registered voters in the house.

Got about 15 flyers by post yesterday , I didn't even look at them just grabbed the whole bundle and dropped them straight into the recycling.

It's been very subdued this time. I agree the flyers are a waste of paper, although I think they are tax payer funded aren't they? I'm ruralish also. Sad thing is it seems very few parties outside FF and FG ever bother with rural areas at all. I occasionally get Sinn Fein too but not this time. Also noticed most candidates don't even want to meet people, happy enough to stuff leaflets in the door and slither away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

L1011 wrote: »
    They're very handy at letting you know who is either insane or thinks that councillors are actually TDs (based on insane promises that councils don't have the ability to impact)

Agreed - Flyers only make it worse for them..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

although I think they are tax payer funded aren't they?.

Postage for the Euro candidates is. Printing isn't; and nothing for Locals.

The Euro candidates can also qualify for up to 38k of their expenses paid if they get enough votes but Local candidates don't. Realistically most candidates won't get enough votes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I have alright with some independents, admitably it often is the other way of, oh right they are a crackpot, but that's handy to know too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Postage for the Euro candidates is. Printing isn't; and nothing for Locals.

The Euro candidates can also qualify for up to 38k of their expenses paid if they get enough votes but Local candidates don't. Realistically most candidates won't get enough votes though.
    Many of Kildare Co Co hopefuls have saved money on their flyers by not paying a proof reader!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

On the political dynasties topic Aisling Dempsey is running in Meath for FF. She's a niece of former minister Noel Dempsey; he even appears in some of her campaign literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

On the political dynasties topic Aisling Dempsey is running in Meath for FF. She's a niece of former minister Noel Dempsey; he even appears in some of her campaign literature.

Did he find out that the IMF were on the way yet? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does she not want people to vote for her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Nah I meant the Todd Andrews-David Andrews line. Others in the family include Sinn Feins Chris Andrews, David McSavage and Ryan Tubridy.

Not forgetting Barry's uncle Noel who was an MEP back in the dim and distant days when Lord Haughey ruled the country.

(Noel Andrews adored CJH, his brother David loathed him!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That's been my experience with LE candidates, I can't think of a reason to fill out tomorrow's ballot beyond leaving the Aontu candidate's box blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd say most of the candidates who genuinely do have a chance of getting elected tomorrow(well Saturday but you know what I mean) must be thankful it's more or less over. I know of one candidate running and I'd say he's gone through shoes at some rate. The others who don't and let's be honest never had a hope of getting elected it's probably just another weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

VG31 wrote: »
    Same on my area. I've never heard of the candidate before and haven't received any leaflets from her. I'm not going to vote for someone who hasn't promoted themselves at all.

Greens are the only ones who understand the really big issues.

They may not have all the right solutions (and I disagree with them on some) but they are the only ones talking about the real problems.

Will be voting for them again.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If people are voting on environmental issues (which is a big one for Europe) then you’re better off voting for a party that’s been talking about them for 35 odd years rather than the rest of the bandwagoners.

I didn’t know who I was voting for until this week (swing voter, leaning FG in the past) but I’m absolutely voting Green tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

blanch152 wrote: »
    Greens are the only ones who understand the really big issues.

They may not have all the right solutions (and I disagree with them on some) but they are the only ones talking about the real problems.

Will be voting for them again.
    Ha that's interesting. I had you down as an FG voter, albeit a non committed one.

My friends and family are all FG so I'd be sympathetic to them but I voted Green as well (for both).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

SF.1 Green .2 Independent.3 and 4 for me voted at 8 this morning nice and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 OneEyedORourke

I have seven candidates to choose from in my area.

3 - Independents
    2 - Fianna Fail
    1 - Sinn Fein
    1- Fine Gael

Two of the Independents are former Fianna Fail candidates and the other guy is a ghost - I can't find any information on him.

I think my best option is to spoil my vote....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Faugheen wrote: »
    If people are voting on environmental issues (which is a big one for Europe) then you’re better off voting for a party that’s been talking about them for 35 odd years rather than the rest of the bandwagoners.

I didn’t know who I was voting for until this week (swing voter, leaning FG in the past) but I’m absolutely voting Green tomorrow.

Aye Greens will bring more taxes in. Its what they are good at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Greens might be popular in urban areas like dublin but they know they haven't a hope over here in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Greens might be popular in urban areas like dublin but they know they haven't a hope over here in the west.

Funny, cause I doubt they could be any worse for rural Ireland than FG or FF
    Especially for farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Funny, cause I doubt they could be any worse for rural Ireland than FG or FF
    Especially for farmers

They are against turf cutting which makes them toxic in areas like mine.

BTW I'm not saying they are wrong in what they are saying but it does kill their chances of getting voters to back them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Have found it all very low key for a L.E.

Gave SF 1,2 in my neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

No Female councillors in Offaly!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Faugheen wrote: »

I just realised there's a Maria Bailey joke in this paragraph somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Maybe it's just me getting older, but it seemed like there are a lot of great young candidates running this time. I think this is quite a positive trend. In particular there's a lot of great young women runing for People Before Profit and the Social Decrats. I wouldn't give PBP my first vote because there's a lot of nimby stuff that goes on in the councils with them, but by and large their TD's are good with the likes of Richard Boyd Barret and Bríd Smith, which means there's quite strong mentorship available for the younger councillors. I was happy to give them 4th and 5th preference. I've a feeling they might take up a good few seats this time around.

Síomha Ní Aonghusa is an example of what I'm talking about, from the Pembroke ward, and she would have been my first or second preference if I was a couple of streets over. She's young, has a solid message, and good engagement with community through twitter, youtube etc. e.g
    https://twitter.com/SiomhaH/status/1127977819009626112

I've a feeling they could steal a few seats from Sinn Féin at least and maybe some of the people who have abandoned Fine Gael.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Sheeps wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me getting older, but it seemed like there are a lot of great young candidates running this time. I think this is quite a positive trend. In particular there's a lot of great young women runing for People Before Profit and the Social Decrats. I wouldn't give PBP my first vote because there's a lot of nimby stuff that goes on in the councils with them, but by and large their TD's are good with the likes of Richard Boyd Barret and Bríd Smith, which means there's quite strong mentorship available for the younger councillors. I was happy to give them 4th and 5th preference. I've a feeling they might take up a good few seats this time around.

Síomha Ní Aonghusa is an example of what I'm talking about, from the Pembroke ward, and she would have been my first or second preference if I was a couple of streets over. She's young, has a solid message, and good engagement with community through twitter, youtube etc. e.g
    https://twitter.com/SiomhaH/status/1127977819009626112

I've a feeling they could steal a few seats from Sinn Féin at least and maybe some of the people who have abandoned Fine Gael.

I can't see them taking from SF nobody in the south has embraced PBP , their candidates are irrelevant if they parties aren't in touch with the hearts and minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Seen a comment in the journal earlier.

“Hopefully Marie doesn’t win her seat back today after the swing incident”

A lot of people actually think this is a general election.

I wouldn’t be surprised at a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I can't see them taking from SF nobody in the south has embraced PBP , their candidates are irrelevant if they parties aren't in touch with the hearts and minds.

Would have to disagree. They made a very vocal impact on the campaign for repeal. They've been there to soak up the anger from the housing crisis like a sponge. They've shown their heads up when it matters for people (again, usually over nimby stuff), but they're activists and people see that. They had one of the largest groups of people at the Raise the Roof rally too. I could be wrong, but I would expect them to increase the number of seats they have currently.

Advertisement