Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

20 years away.

Same as it has been for the last 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    I imagine the moment they all realize their TV license money has to go to RTÉ instead of BBC they'll vote no to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Not in my lifetime.... thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Interesting there is no option in the poll for the people in the republic to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Interesting there is no option in the poll for the people in the republic to say no.

A recent opinion poll showed that only 38% of respondents in the Republic would vote for unification with NI if it meant higher taxes.

It would mean higher taxes.

The actual number who would vote in a real referendum for unification I would predict is considerably lower than the 38% - probably around 25%. Most of those 25% pay fcuk all of the taxes anyway - quelle suprise

The reality is that people place far higher value on their taxes, schools, hospitals, roads, pensions, etc. than a misty-eyed unification with a people we've little in common with.

In the meantime of course, we'll all pretend to want unification, for as long as its not a real possibility. The reality is that it's never going to happen - and most of the Republic, discounting the bar-stool brigade, are totally fine with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭thomil

15-20 years
    I think ten to fifteen years is a good, if slightly optimistic option. However, events have a tendency to "run away" from people, certainly people in Germany in April 1989 had no idea that by November of that same year, the intra-German border would be open and the Berlin Wall would be history.
    It would be prudent to start planning for a post-reunification political & economical structure now, rather than waiting to be smothered by events. However, I see nothing at all of that sort coming from those political parties pushing for a border poll.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Hopefully it will never happen. The Brits don't want it, and the majority of Ireland don't want it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

zapitastas wrote: »
    The biggest issue to determine how quickly events could unfold will be brexit. A disorganised exit will see a lot of people in the north looking to re-enter the EU through unification. An interview with a unionist farmer in fermanagh a few weeks ago was pretty telling. He said he was a unionist but at the end of the day his family can't eat a union flag so if he loses European subsidies that other options would have to be looked at and that the Dublin government looked to be doing more to protect the livelihoods of farmers than his immediate representative

Money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A recent opinion poll showed that only 38% of respondents in the Republic would vote for unification with NI if it meant higher taxes.

It would mean higher taxes.

The actual number who would vote in a real referendum for unification I would predict is considerably lower than the 38% - probably around 25%. Most of those 25% pay fcuk all of the taxes anyway - quelle suprise

The reality is that people place far higher value on their taxes, schools, hospitals, roads, pensions, etc. than a misty-eyed unification with a people we've little in common with.

In the meantime of course, we'll all pretend to want unification, for as long as its not a real possibility. The reality is that it's never going to happen - and most of the Republic, discounting the bar-stool brigade, are totally fine with that

And I totally agree with that. I just thought it was interesting that the OP decided not to include it as an option on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i like the idea in a sort if misty eyed hypothetical way but as soon as i put any thought into it, the whole scenario snowballs into extreme difficulty. i think a lot of things will need to change massively in order to make it a viable path. I'm not prepared for a bloodletting however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

15-20 years
    You have to think for yourself on this. Whenever the topic comes up, you will get the scaremongers shouting about how awful this will be for everyone. They don't have a clue how it would work out but they will continue to shout. It's a bit like with the abortion referendum, these people will do anything to try to get their way.
    Truth is, we would need a big discussion on what it would entail. The EU and Britain will give huge funding towards this. We already have loads of cross border initiatives, in all parts of life. Economic, social, the huge majority of sporting organisations are cross border. We are all very similar on this island. What huge difference is there between the people of Donegal and Derry? Monaghan and Fermanagh?
    Being a member of the EU would be hugely beneficial for the people in the north. Also, those who support the rights of the lbgtq community should be in favour of reunification and women's rights activists.
    It would take a lot of work to draw up the details but if done right, this is a great opportunity for all Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Censored11 wrote: »
    Whatchu talkin' bout Willis...
    I only voted once.
    It's a public poll, and I noticed that your username appeared twice (and nobody else's did). I'm not saying you did anything wrong...but I'm not ruling it out. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

We respect our past (the good and the bad). Nordies seem to want to continue living in it. I've nothing in common with such people and wouldn't want anything to do with them

Would you say the same thing if ROI independence never happened and the people the Republic were still under the control of the British monarchy?

Nationalists in the North were subjugated to serious discrimination and appalling conditions and civil rights violations, many of them who witnessed it are still alive And bare those scars, you were lucky enough to be born into a republic free from all those problems post independence. I find the view of many people in the South hypocritical on these matters because those very people in the Nationalist Northern terrorities fought for Irish Independence but got left behind and they too have a lot to do you you living in an independent state today free from the civil rights abuses and segregation they suffered from in the North for decades after.

I think many people in the Republic have very short memories because it suits them to have it that way. In the North, 900 years of history doesn't just dissapear in 20 years and many of the problems that exist there are governmental mismanagement and a gerrymandered border that should have never existed. Much of what you have seen in your lifetime in the North was what was going on all over the Country 100 years ago, the South had civillian guerrillas, partisan policing and social unrest in the very same circumstances as the North has faced since partition. The people in the South take great pride in gaining Independence like that but many of the same people label those in the North as delinquents for wanting to break free from it. The hypocrisy of it is rife.

On how far away unification is, I think it's very far away yet and even with my highly Nationalist tendencies towards a United Ireland, it's not something I want to see without unionists been welcomed and given concessions even in the event of a majority landslide for a United Ireland. History can't repeat itself again but this time against Unionists because we all know how important identity and rights are in North.The GFA was a miracle in itself and trying to renegotiate the other way around for a second time will be a serious can of worms as well. I do believe it's a partition that was destined to fall from the very beginning and should never have existed because of it's fragility, desperation moves by both sides lead to partition within partition and it will never last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

30-40 years
    A United Ireland is probably one of the worst things that could happen to regional towns and cities in the Republic. You’d see a massive inflow of FDI to Belfast at the expense of investment into Galway, Cork, Limerick etc.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Squeaky bum time for the Cruise-O'Brien set :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A United Ireland is probably one of the worst things that could happen to regional towns and cities in the Republic. You’d see a massive inflow of FDI to Belfast at the expense of investment into Galway, Cork, Limerick etc.

Be careful what you wish for.

Why?

If we get NI levels of public services i.e genuinely free first and second level education no cost for books low-cost school meals lots of support staff in schools on the other hand massive third level fees funded by students loans. There are too many things to mention local councils provide far more services in the NI and UK that they do here.

The NHS free at the point of use GP services ect.

If we get all the good bits and its not going to cost us anything why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

mariaalice wrote: »
    If we get NI levels of public services i.e genuinely free first and second level education no cost for books low-cost school meals lots of support staff in schools on the other hand massive third level fees funded by students loans. There are two many things to mention local councils provide far more services in the NI and UK that they do here.

Would people be happy to pay the much higher property taxes that people in the UK pay to fund the councils?

For example, 1,200 euro pa LPT instead of the 225 that many people pay.

Also, many people in the UK pay 500 euro pa for water charges.

30-40 years
    Why?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

10-15 years
    Hopefully soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

2011 wrote: »
    Many have this romantic view of a united ireland, but few have actually thought of how the reality would work in practice. There is the cost for a start, every second person in the north seems to be some sort of civil servant. People up there also have certain expectations in terms of public services which we are incapable of delivering on. As has been pointed out already we would have to deal with intransigent unionism. On top of all of that we would have to deal with terrorists groupings on both sides who would have have to keep "the lads" busy with criminality / drug dealing /extortion etc. to an even greater extent than they do now. Our security forces are not equipped to deal with that.

The underlined above is the big question mark. The Brits (to their credit in some ways) saw the inequalities in NI which led to the restarting of The Troubles and sought to address that by buying peace as a policy. By pumping money in, providing more jobs, better housing and facilities - look at the number of public swimming pools up there as a measure. There's a nice fairly well heeled cross community middle class now who live in comfortable suburban houses and who are bank rolled by the state. No way they'll be looking to give that up too quickly.

I used to think of the unionist community as more characterised by business and industry and I think they still are to some extent but it's industry with a small 'i' now. That they'd be pragmatic at the end of the day and see that they'd be better off throwing their lot in with the south. But I think they've been subverted too by the lure of public funding and state jobs, so that business incentive has been dissipating. From their POV, they may as well cling to the Union as that pays the bills.

What?

Why investments go to Belfast as opposed to any other city in Ireland, in an united Ireland.

15-20 years
    We could introduce the Éire Nua system of federal governments. This will have huge benefits for Munster, Connacht, Ulster and Leinster.

NI always puts me in mind of this poem.

I have lived in important places, times
    When great events were decided, who owned
    That half a rood of rock, a no-man's land
    Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.
    I heard the Duffys shouting "Damn your soul!"
    And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
    Step the plot defying blue cast-steel -
    "Here is the march along these iron stones."
    That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
    Was more important? I inclined
    To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
    Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
    He said: I made the Iliad from such
    A local row. Gods make their own importance.

Patrick Kavanagh

30-40 years
    Why investments go to Belfast as opposed to any other city in Ireland, in an united Ireland.

Higher population, proximity to Dublin, good transport including an airport, generally lower wages than ROI, basically a mini-Dublin but with a lower cost of living. Belfast today is similar to Dublin 15 years ago.

Higher population, proximity to Dublin, good transport including an airport, generally lower wages than ROI, basically a mini-Dublin but with a lower cost of living. Belfast today is similar to Dublin 15 years ago.

The cost would merge over time, Cork and Limerick have airports.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    We will have a vote in approximately 10 years

.....and regardless of how the vote goes in the north the ROI is highly likely to vote no to reunification. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

It's a public poll, and I noticed that your username appeared twice (and nobody else's did). I'm not saying you did anything wrong...but I'm not ruling it out. :pac:

Has to be the ghost of Ian Paisley corrupting the poll... scary stuff!

15-20 years
    2011 wrote: »
    .....and regardless of how the vote goes in the north the ROI is highly likely to vote no to reunification. The end.

You are just making that up. The end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

20-30 years
    I voted 15-20 Years in the poll but it really is impossible to say if or when a United Ireland could happen. The biggest game changer is Brexit and nobody knows how this will pan out. Brexit has pushed the possibility of a United Ireland back into the political landscape where as before 2016, nobody other than Sinn Fein was really giving the idea much attention.

A united Ireland would not happen overnight, there would have to be a long transition period with a defined end date. There are so many things that would need to be sorted out before then like dealing with a hostile unionist population, creating a re-organised civil service, training teachers to teach new syllabuses and subjects to move from GSCE and A Levels to Junior Cert and Leaving Cert, dealing with the status of the Irish Language (would it still be compulsory for JC & LC?), sorting out things like taxation, electricity supplies, communications, water... the list is endless.

I believe a united Ireland would be beneficial in the long term, especially to the border counties, but would have several short and medium term difficulties that will be hard to overcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement