Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Equestrian

Options
  • 21-03-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello all,
    Any suggestions as to the size of saddle I should consider for a Miniature Shetland Pony Mare to be ridden by a 7 year old girl (in hand). The pony is 10. Your recommendations will be very welcome. Also if you could name a few makes of saddle that are suitable and reasonably priced or should you have one no longer in use and want to sell please post on your details. Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't think anyone here can really answer your question OP. Saddle size really depends on the thoracic back length and spine width of the pony and every one is different. It also depends on the child as the saddle needs to fit the rider too. It may be a case that the pony is too small. I don't think I've seen a saddle to fit a miniature pony that would fit anyone but a toddler, unless the child is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭e220

I don't think anyone here can really answer your question OP. Saddle size really depends on the thoracic back length and spine width of the pony and every one is different. It also depends on the child as the saddle needs to fit the rider too. It may be a case that the pony is too small. I don't think I've seen a saddle to fit a miniature pony that would fit anyone but a toddler, unless the child is quite small.

Hi Ave,
    Thanks for your very sound advice. I'll take it on board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Every pony or horse is differently shaped, so even if they're the same height they will more than likely take a differently shaped or sized saddle. It could be because they've a high withers, are quite round (without being heavy/fat), have a roched back, etc., etc., etc.

The best thing to do would be to take a look at what a saddler would recommend (even take a look online, but obviously don't rely on it as it's hard to know who's writing it or how reliable/accurate it is. But it can give an insight into what's out there and what issues you may face.

And do not buy a saddle online. As with any saddle for any horse, you'll always need to try it on and fit it before buying it. And you'll also be able to check it for any wear and damage, such as a broken tree.

As someone who grew up living in the saddle on a shetland pony in my childhood, I can confirm that they do exist. However, it will take time to find one that suits both child and, more importantly, the pony. I think I was riding in essentially a pad saddle for a year before I got a 'proper' saddle, which I was then able to take on to my next pony. But it was quite an old saddle as I think it literally fell apart (well, not quite, but it started to become unsafe so had to be replaced) from all the use it got with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭e220

convert wrote: »
    Every pony or horse is differently shaped, so even if they're the same height they will more than likely take a differently shaped or sized saddle. It could be because they've a high withers, are quite round (without being heavy/fat), have a roched back, etc., etc., etc.

The best thing to do would be to take a look at what a saddler would recommend (even take a look online, but obviously don't rely on it as it's hard to know who's writing it or how reliable/accurate it is. But it can give an insight into what's out there and what issues you may face.

And do not buy a saddle online. As with any saddle for any horse, you'll always need to try it on and fit it before buying it. And you'll also be able to check it for any wear and damage, such as a broken tree.

As someone who grew up living in the saddle on a shetland pony in my childhood, I can confirm that they do exist. However, it will take time to find one that suits both child and, more importantly, the pony. I think I was riding in essentially a pad saddle for a year before I got a 'proper' saddle, which I was then able to take on to my next pony. But it was quite an old saddle as I think it literally fell apart (well, not quite, but it started to become unsafe so had to be replaced) from all the use it got with me!

Hi Convert,
    This is exactly why I really like Boards.ie. There are always very informative and intelligent people dedicating their valuable time to help people like me with our queries. Thank you for replying. It really does make a difference.

Advertisement