Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Your wife sounds like my type of gal, DvB - don't let chocolate go to waste, even the horrid ones! I went thru the tub of QS pretty much on my own as I do every year. Mr. CL doesn't like chocolate (weirdo) & had about two out of it. Every year, he says "are you going to eat them all by yourself" and every year, my proud response is "yep" :pac::o:P

Funnily enough I'm not a huge chocolate fan & can take it or leave it 99% of the time, but tubs of QS between Nov 1st - Jan 2nd (or when the goodies run out) is the exception to that rule. I seem to leave all my sweet cravings to then. Rest of the time its the savoury that I crave, tortilla's, crisps, peanuts etc.

But having gone through 4 tubs, thats pretty much a tub each! No wonder I put on a few pounds :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love how our motivation thread has turned into a discussion about Quality Street. I love ye guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

i always believed chocolate in the morning is fine, as we get the chance to burn it off during the day !
    Thankfully these days I am off the taste of rich food, less temptation then, happy days.
    Avocado salad for dinner tonight, was yummy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Avocado is quite high in calories though- I'd stick with the old Quality Street just to be on the safe side. :pac:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My favourite quality street are the brown toffee ones, followed by the green plain chocolate ones and then the long toffee ones and then strawberry. Oh Jesus I'm craving quality st now. I think I prefer them over Roses, ever since Cadbury got rid of that red and gold Brazilian one. It was my favourite.

Weighed myself this morning and I'm down 1lb! Delighted with myself, and it was motivation to stick to the healthy eating plan, especially when I had to go grocery shopping while starving this afternoon. I just avoided the junk aisles completely.

• Advertisement

Well done, Toots!

I'm up 1lb. Quite happy with that, going to have some jaffa cakes now to celebrate. :)

My favourite Quality Streets are the purple one, green triangle, regular caramel and the strawberry. I still have an unopened tin in the kitchen waiting to do some damage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    My favourite Quality Streets are the purple one, green triangle, regular caramel and the strawberry. I still have an unopened tin in the kitchen waiting to do some damage.

Great choices!

How much for the unopened tin of sweets? Asking for a friend :pac:

Operation transformation back on RTÉ tonight for anyone looking for more inspiration :)

Loughc wrote: »
    Operation transformation back on RTÉ tonight for anyone looking for more inspiration :)

We're watching it now....

Cheesy curry? Yuck!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Think we should do a quality street exchange thread on this forum :D

My strawberry, coconut and fudge will go in the bin. Love all the chewy caramels and toffee penny, then both green, oranges and purple. Soft caramels I can take or leave.

I fell off the wagon a little yesterday and opened a tube of pringles. Won't get back on until Monday as it's my birthday weekend but I'm determined to start back on Monday. Honest!

• Advertisement

Any leftover sweets I don't like get given away/ brought into work. I hate throwing away food!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

We got through two tins, one in Nov and one in Dec. Mine are the toffee coins, sticks, brown toffee ones and the purple ones.

I did sprints last night with the dog on a green at the back of the estate. She was barely running. I didn't get up this am for the gym as I have a 3pm client meeting that I need to be awake for.

I will go tonight,

Another 6.30am gym session done and dusted. Nice to have it done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The making up excuses why I got fat show, I only ever saw one person on that show that kept up the weight loss, inspiration me arse.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The making up excuses why I got fat show, I only ever saw one person on that show that kept up the weight loss, inspiration me arse.

Their meal and exercise plans on the OT website are quite good tho. :)

I genuinely felt for the guy from Donegal weighing in at 26 stone. I got the impression he had zero faith in himself & this doing anything for him long term. If nothing else I'd love to see someone like that get control of their life back, suspect we'll keep an eye on him for the series & hope he gets something genuinely life changing from it. I suspect its a huge mental challenge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

My sister was on the show a few years back and it was life changing for her, she's doing really well now, just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Raging that I forgot OT was back last night! Must catch it on the player.

Went to SW last night and to my very great surprise, I was down 2.5lbs. Delighted with myself as I didn't really have a great week. I think it was mostly that I had zero bread for the week, whereas over Christmas I was having sandwiches galore! The consultant that I go to does five groups I think over two days & over all of her groups, there was a collective weight of 30 stone lost :eek: Two girls in our session lost 9lbs and 8lbs each! How do you do that in a week?!

Anyway, have made a promise to myself to stick to it 100% this week so have planned out all of our dinners for the week & have my work out gear on already so I've no excuse to not go out for my lunchtime walk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Very good section on IrelandAM yesterday(Wednesday 9th Jan) Fiann ONuallain the Holistic Gardener, did a slot on
    Beating the Cravings.....gave lots of tips, and mentioned a tinture or herbal tablet, Gymnena Sylvestre, that you place on your tongue
    to beat sugar cravings. Well worth looking this slot up on the IrelandAM player. About 10 mins viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

26 stone!! How the hell do you get to that size. That's impressive in itself.

Profiting off this is bit weird. It's like something you'd see on tv from the states in the 80's/90's and laugh. Seems to be normalising at home.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    26 stone!! How the hell do you get to that size. That's impressive in itself.

And as large as he was I've seen bigger guys strolling around, theres definitely a normalising of the general population carrying extra weight. What we used to refer to as overweight is almost the norm nowadays from what I can see.

I still consider myself as probably carrying about a stone (FTR I'm usually 11'7 & was that before christmas, 11'10 as of today, sorry dont to the kg thing)
    but the vast majority of people tell me i've lost too much weight & should put some back on as I looked 'healthier' when I was heavier. To me that says alot as to how we're percieving ourselves nowadays.

I think you are right DvB. It's becoming the norm to deem only people who are obese as overweight. I've got a stone to lose (stone and a half if I'm totally honest) so I am overweight, yet any time I've mentioned it to family & friends, they've always said "oh you're grand, you don't need to lose anything". But I do need to lose it because I can feel that it's making me unhealthy - my asthma is worse when I have additional weight on, I'm more tired etc & it has an affect on my mental health too. But very few people would look at me and say "she's overweight" - do you know what I'm saying?

Campaigns like Dove's "real women" can make women feel bad about themselves for being a healthy weight and looking after their bodies. Obesity is being normalised, especially in America where a plus size model could be 20 plus stone! :eek:

Managed to get out and do my second run/walk of the week. Was a bit slower today than Tuesday but think that is because I was listening to a particularly emotional podcast & it was hard listening. Must aim for something more upbeat tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

470053.jpeg

I stuck to my plan to get out at lunchtime for the three days I was WFH this week. Delighted with myself, plus I really enjoyed it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

:D at that previous image!
    I need to shift some jelly belly....think I will wait for the ad breaks on Operation Transformation to get me a$$ in gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Free Slimming World magazine in tomorrow’s Irish Daily Mirror

Had my first Weigh In today. Lost 2lbs. Happy enough with that all meals were on plan and I went to the gym 3 times in the last week so there’s a bit of muscle soreness and water retention going on too.

I also weighed in last Sunday so it’s 2lbs in 6 days.

Slow and steady but I honestly would be delighted with 1-2lbs a week as long as it’s moving in the right direction. :)

• Advertisement

Had my first Weigh In today. Lost 2lbs. Happy enough with that all meals were on plan and I went to the gym 3 times in the last week so there’s a bit of muscle soreness and water retention going on too.

I also weighed in last Sunday so it’s 2lbs in 6 days.

Slow and steady but I honestly would be delighted with 1-2lbs a week as long as it’s moving in the right direction. :)

Good work, well done. Will weigh myself tomorrow morning, suspect there'll be little change though as despite cutting out junk didn't get in as much exercise with work killing me already. Coaching the kids and a 10k run today might help a tad so holding off until I get them in!!

Advertisement