Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1,000 marchers march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its just you're typical "clanish siege" rural irish mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'll bet they all marched after reading about the "news" on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Mrsmum wrote: »

Far more likely that the locals know everything, from every angle including the people involved. That's what being local in a country area is all about........

Except when the local priest was at the alter boys.
    Then they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seamus wrote: »
    Easy to whip small towns into a "show of solidarity" without the full facts.

Remember when some of the population of a town shook the hand of a convicted rapist on their way out of a courtroom?

Also "Garda brutality" is a lovely way to whip up some anger.

It sounds like a case of mistaken identity that resulted im a Garda using force against the wrong people.

"Brutality" makes it sound like they're constantly dragging people off the streets to beat seven shades out of them. The word is used by people with a clear agenda.

everything-is-fine-nothing-to-see-here-carry-on.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

gctest50 wrote: »
    Then they don't

You must be really stuck for an opinion on the topic under debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I do love when the predictable "unemployed waster" attempt to discredit any objections to how things are run in this country falls flat on its arse like this :p

Like most here I think, I don't know the full background to the case in question but I've seen the video and read/heard the coverage (side note : Newstalk really need to do something about their new entirely one-sided on everything breakfast team) and seeing the 2 Gardai stand watching while 2 men are physically dragged out the gate is disgraceful from our supposed law enforcement agency.

AGS is broken beyond redemption anyway IMO and this is yet another example. As I've said before, only a complete RUC/PSNI-style restructuring is going to restore general confidence in the organisation at this point.

You're confused about what this thread is about.

Anyway, if people won't leave the banks house, all that's left is to drag them out.

As for not knowing the back story, sure when is that required before having a rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lots of good guards but there are an awful lot that are crooked.

Add in the many who have just become disillusioned and don't care.

We have had enough in the last few years to warrant a complete restructuring of the force.

randd1 wrote: »
    The obvious solution here for the people of Castlerea would be for the Gardaí to remove any presence of themselves from the town and remain vacant from the District until such a time as the people of Castlerea have come up with an alternative policing authority (locally sourced and funded by local taxes from within the Castlerea District area) that applies the letter of the law.

Or move towards having a functional force, a bit radical I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mrsmum wrote:
    You must be really stuck for an opinion on the topic under debate.

I'm feeling embrassed for him now after his stupid attempt to protray them as wasters for marching on a Sunday.

Then they don't

Was there Justice Minister or Garda Commissioner in the last 90 years who wasn't aware of the industrial scale of abuse, the very most let it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

People are mixing this case up with what happened with the eviction in strokesTown, not too far away. These are two separate cases

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Roscommon is a power keg, primed to explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Roscommon is a power keg, primed to explode.

On a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

What is a dissident member of the public?
    emo72 wrote: »
    Who decided to use the term "dissident". That's bizarre. Was everyone polled for their political views?

A dissident is a member of the public protesting against state authority and in this case the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

There is probably no smoke without fire.

If 500+ people are publicly protesting against the local Gardai, then something is almost certainly rotten in Denmark.

As I understand it, a shop burglary was reported, two men walking home nearby were stopped by the Guards. Skirmish ensues. Locals shout about police heavy handedness. This is what we know, yes?

While it it seems not good, I am surprised that an isolated incident such as this on its own would bring out 500 people protesting the local Gardai. This kind of thing happens in Ireland every now and again and the town do not uprise. I wonder if there have been other previous incidents in the town or whether a member of the local Gardai is a bit of a cnut with a temper.

Would like to hear from a local maybe?

klaaaz wrote: »
    A dissident is a member of the public protesting against state authority and in this case the Gardai.

I don't think that is what dissident means. It is not protesting authority, more protesting policy. So in this case the use of the word is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

klaaaz wrote: »

Excellent. What is a 'dissedent' though? I saw a lot of people changed their middle name to this on Facebook during the whole water charges fiasco.

Dreadful affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Was that pot smoker ming there with his greasy hair and smelly wooly jumper? Shrieking away in to a megaphone.

Was that pot smoker ming there with his greasy hair and smelly wooly jumper? Shrieking away in to a megaphone.

Rousing the rabble so that he can continue collecting the big pay cheque over in Europe.

Standing up for the little man. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah yes.. feckin' hippies. Lets point the finger at pot smoking Ming. Maybe he beat up the Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

TCM wrote: »
    Ohh, that's a realy witty retort.
    By the way, the march was on a Sunday.

They just went for a stroll after mass
    0% effort job

Same as this lad :

DSNr0l9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Then they don't

Well look at you!!

Undeterred that your first dig at the protesters left you looking stupid...here you back at a 2nd attempt.
    God loves a trier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The town hasn't been this united since the campaign against gay marriage.

wow.
    I thought the country had moved on from that one

Rousing the rabble so that he can continue collecting the big pay cheque over in Europe.

Nothing like a bit of whataboutery.

gctest50 wrote:
    They just went for a stroll after mass 0% effort job
    Scarlett for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

So many posts but still nobody has explained the real reasons behind this.

Cant just be that one single minor incident described above.

Can someone please explain more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

green123 wrote: »
    So many posts but still nobody has explained the real reasons behind this.

Cant just be that one single minor incident described above.

Can someone please explain more ?

It is and one of the lads is very badly injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Then they don't

Don’t look at this ->

<- look at that. That thing that happened years ago.

Anyway i dont know much about this place but am
    inclined to believe something is up.

The use of the term dissidents is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They just went for a stroll after mass
    0% effort job

Same as this lad :

DSNr0l9.jpg

Wtf are you even talking about right now?

Advertisement