Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So instead of a private company evicting someone (though why anyone has an issue with this I don't know, it's an issue between a private company and its customer) , the Gardai should do the bidding of a private company looking to recover debts? And your ok with that?

Or is it just so rent a mobs can line up and chant at the Gardai for having nothing better to be doing and asking them are they proud of themselves?

it's better then hired goons. not ideal but preferible. the issue is that law enforcement must only be enforced by enforcers of the state, directly employed by the state. private goons for hire are not legitimate enforcers of the state in my view. the gardai on the other hand, are.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

bubblypop wrote: »
    Gardai are there to prevent a breach of the peace.
    That is it. They should not be involved

They should protect the elderly from illegal home invasions by a bunch of roaming and out of control loyalist thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

awec wrote: »
    UDR.

Can we at least use the right acronyms here? One is a paramilitary organization, the other is a former regiment of the British Army. One still exists, the other hasn't existed for over over 25 years.

Which one was Ian Gordon in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Civil contempt is regarded as an offence. If you defy an order in the civil courts, you are now guilty of a criminal act.

If you defy an order of the court, then an application must be brought to the court and it must be shown that you received the order or were aware of it and still refused to comply. You must also be informed that a failure to obey the order could result in imprisonment (committal), via a penal endorsement on the order when it's served on you. Only then can the Court declare you in contempt and only then, if you continue to refuse to obey the order can you deemed to be acting criminally. It's completely a civil matter albeit with sanctions usually reserved for criminal law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

UDR.

Can we at least use the right acronyms here? One is a paramilitary organization, the other is a former regiment of the British Army. One still exists, the other hasn't existed for over over 25 years.

Im old enough to remember when they were both closely intertwined. One and the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You want to see gardai acting as personal debt collectors? Forcing people to leave their homes?
    There is enough animosity towards Gardai without employing them to carry out evictions.

I see no problem in Garda observing a legitimate eviction to ensure there is no violence by either side.
    What happened this time was that they were there to support violence by one side and ready to step in if the other side retaliated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

klaaaz wrote: »
    They should protect the elderly from illegal home invasions by a bunch of roaming and out of control loyalist thugs.

Don’t be worrying about those tans they’ll be put up the yard again and won’t be back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mrsmum wrote: »
    How does anyone think it's sensible to try this eviction again when tensions are so high.

Just to be clear, I am 100% anti-eviction and I'm not arguing for trying it again - I am merely stating that I entirely object to the involvement of private security thugs in enforcing any type of court order. So if we must have these incidents - and I would still support people resisting them - it should be the public law enforcement of our state, which is accountable to the government, the public, and several independent oversight bodies, as opposed to some random and unknown thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sheriff's not involved by all accounts. Just a dodgy security firm with dodgy employees and now appears with a dodgy court order.
    Glad you're happy with it.

And another dodgy issue is the 8 heavies legality to operate in ROI without a PSA licence.

They may have had the SIA licence which covers NI and UK only , not in the ROI.

That said what legal authority and basis have these heavies at the scene of the the initial Tuesday eviction, Im sure the Garda at the house checked their creditionals or did they, was a blind eye turned and no company in IRELAND would want to be associated or do the dirty work of physically removing the evictees from the house, bad PR especially coming up to Xmas.

https://www.get-licensed.co.uk/licence/security-guard-licence

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Which one was Ian Gordon in ?

UDR I believe I saw somewhere at the start of this thread (I stand to be corrected).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

UDR.

In fairness, there was a good bit of overlap in membership between the two :P

Bambi wrote: »

Massive overlap in IRA members and MI5 agents too. It's far too confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Apparently not, it seems that the loyalist security firm produced a letter with bank lettering without no actual names of the family on it, there was no actual court order from an actual court!. An illegal eviction on the day.

Again, it was the Sheriff that evicted the family. The Sheriff does not do so without being satisfied that there is a Court Order. Seriously, common sense is flying out the window with statements like this. A letter from a Bank will not convince the Sheriffs' Office and the Gardai that they have the right to takke possession of a property

Bambi wrote: »

Probably, but the mixing up is annoying my OCD.

Just to be clear, I am 100% anti-eviction and I'm not arguing for trying it again - I am merely stating that I entirely object to the involvement of private security thugs in enforcing any type of court order. So if we must have these incidents - and I would still support people resisting them - it should be the public law enforcement of our state, which is accountable to the government, the public, and several independent oversight bodies, as opposed to some random and unknown thugs.

Who do you think hired these guys?

If you defy an order of the court, then an application must be brought to the court and it must be shown that you received the order or were aware of it and still refused to comply. You must also be informed that a failure to obey the order could result in imprisonment (committal), via a penal endorsement on the order when it's served on you. Only then can the Court declare you in contempt and only then, if you continue to refuse to obey the order can you deemed to be acting criminally. It's completely a civil matter albeit with sanctions usually reserved for criminal law.

And that's exactly the procedure which should be followed in the case of evictions or repossessions which are defied. At no point should any private citizens, in any capacity, be legally authorised to engage in the kind of violence shown in the video of the eviction. Use of violent force in any capacity other than self defence is supposed to be the exclusive province of the state, and even then only in very limited circumstances.

What I'm saying is that if anyone - security company or not - behaves in the manner that the individuals shown in the video behaved, they should be immediately arrested for assault. Nobody should be "authorised" to behave in this manner, unless they are police officers doing so within the strict parameters in which such physical force is permitted by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

arctictree wrote: »
    If this guy owes the revenue 400K in 2015, how come KBC comes after him first? Surely the revenue should have forced the sale before now?

Revenue will never do that. They do not evict people from their homes. The Revenue have an order of last resort that in the event of establishing that the tax payer / home owner has no liquid assets or otherwise assets then they attach an order to the property so that when at some stage in the future if and when the taxpayer / home owner dies they can then enforce the sale of the property and they have 1st call on the proceeds ahead of any will.

This has happened numerous times

Again, it was the Sheriff that evicted the family. The Sheriff does not do so without being satisfied that there is a Court Order. Seriously, common sense is flying out the window with statements like this. A letter from a Bank will not convince the Sheriffs' Office and the Gardai that they have the right to takke possession of a property

You sure of that. Because to date in this case there is no mention of any Sheriff being involved? Genuine question.

Who do you think hired these guys?

I'm assuming it was the bank. If it was the cops or another arm of the state, that is even more scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Can you verify that ?

Not everyone here is making that assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

RTÉ reporting the family are BACK in the house tonight.

They interviewed some village idiot outside the house who said he didn’t know anything about court judgments or if the family were in contempt of court.
    I’ll have you know that we have had Village idiots as Taoiseachs in this Country .

I'd like to see some info on the court case, I believe there should be a record of it but can not find it.

I would also like to see a record of the Sheriff being present at the eviction. Again I can find no info of this.

How has the reporting of this by news outlets been so poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

blinding wrote: »
    I’ll have you know that we have had Village idiots as Taoiseachs in this Country .

And who would that be ? :D

I'm assuming it was the bank. If it was the cops or another arm of the state, that is even more scandalous.

If there was a court order then it was the sheriff.

If there was no court order then all bets are off, in which case this is an illegal eviction and the individual in question is quite rightly back in his property. I would be pretty much astounded if this was true.

The third option is there was a court order that has subsequently been found to contain some loop hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Apparently not, it seems that the loyalist security firm produced a letter with bank lettering without no actual names of the family on it, there was no actual court order from an actual court!. An illegal eviction on the day.

I heard this too and on the local jungle drums. There will be ructions here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

kravmaga wrote: »
    And another dodgy issue is the 8 heavies legality to operate in ROI without a PSA licence.

They may have had the SIA licence which covers NI and UK only , not in the ROI.

That said what legal authority and basis have these heavies at the scene of the the initial Tuesday eviction, Im sure the Garda at the house checked their creditionals or did they, was a blind eye turned and no company in IRELAND would want to be associated or do the dirty work of physically removing the evictees from the house, bad PR especially coming up to Xmas.

https://www.get-licensed.co.uk/licence/security-guard-licence

Their credentials if even held are irrelevant in ROI. They knew this and so should have Cabot.

Security involved in the execution of High Court orders are not licensable by the Private Security Authority in ROI.

Ask Charlie Flanagan what he is doing to remedy that.

The retired member of AGS who was dragged along the ground saw no court orders according to interviews with the press and he will have seen many I would imagine in his 30 years service. And if that is true, then what were these idiots doing and why weren't they checked by the members of AGS standing idly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What difference does this make?

a massive one in my view. to me it is effectively sensoring the full happenings of the event.
    Absolutely no way should Gardai be involved in civil matters.
    The police of the land cannot & never should be involved in throwing people out of their homes.

It is civil court, civil matter, dealt with by the sheriff & whoever he sees fit to employ.

well then we should have another state force to do it. either way, no private companies.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So the sheriff, responsible for enforcing debt rulings made by the courts of the Irish state, hires private security goons to enforce them?

Yeah, that should clearly be illegal. It should be up to state employees, AKA Gardai, to perform these functions. At no point should any private individual be legally allowed to use this kind of physical violence, that should be the exclusive province of people employed by - and accountable to - the democratic republic, AKA the Irish state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mrsmum wrote: »
    How does anyone think it's sensible to try this eviction again when tensions are so high.
    Surely , they are not going to even try to put them out again before Christmas .

Is Hitler the Public relations officer for this crowd ?

• Advertisement

If there was no court order then all bets are off, in which case this is an illegal eviction and the individual in question is quite rightly back in his property. I would be pretty much astounded if this was true.

The third option is there was a court order that has subsequently been found to contain some loop hole.

If it is an illegal eviction could the Gardai be found complicit considering they oversaw it all?

Advertisement