Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

This thread has become a salient illustration of the reasons behind the ‘never argue with an idiot’ maxim.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

is this where Anthony lived https://binged.it/2LsyN6u

This is where the heretofore unmentioned 3rd brother PJ lives on his 200 acre farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

pablo128 wrote: »
    That's a no, then.

Did you read the link? It says Garret Fitzgearld was not perused by the AIB bank for a substantial amount of money that he owed to the bank. A large portion of his debt was written off. I think there may have been another FG minister who also left people out of pocket as a result of money she owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

There were three people living in the house, and it is only one of them that owed the money, Why take them from the home when there was land that could have been taken,

it was unfair to the other two, not their doing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Did you read the link? It says Garret Fitzgearld was not perused by the AIB bank for a substantial amount of money that he owed to the bank. A large portion of his debt was written off. I think there may have been another FG minister who also left people out of pocket as a result of money she owed.
    What's the relevance?

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Ah we're onto someone else didn't pay their debts so that exonerates Anthony again!

Certainly not, I think we should all pay our dues including this fellow up in Roscommon. It's just that people like Garret Fitzgerald also set bad examples by not doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ancient history to back up a current claim.

Not surprised, you are probably claiming a link to the Cromwellian evictions of the current situation.

kippy wrote: »
    What's the relevance?

Relevance to what?

Certainly not, I think we should all pay our dues including this fellow up in Roscommon. It's just that people like Garret Fitzgerald also set bad examples by not doing so.

There's lots of bad examples, there are far far more good examples. Luckily most individuals act honourably in these types of things otherwise the country would be more of a basket case than it already is. Anyway enough of the strawmen.

Relevance to what?

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/1219/1018092-Roscommon

“Over the last 24 hours, searches have also taken places in houses in Dublin and in Co Meath, where detectives recovered a number of items including documentation and phones as part of the investigation.“

“Gardaí say they expect to interview up to another 15 men in the coming days, after they complete a trawl through video footage from body cameras worn by the security guards.”

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ancient history to back up a current claim.

Not surprised, you are probably claiming a link to the Cromwellian evictions of the current situation.

When people like Fitzgerald set bad examples people follow unfortunately, like this guy in Roscommon, he sees a bad example and he thinks he can get away with leaving others out of pocket.

This is the Garda press release,

As part of an ongoing investigations into an incident at Falsk, Strokestown on Sunday 16th December, 2018 a number of planned searches were carried out this morning (19/12/2018) across Co. Roscommon.

During the operation four separate locations, including houses and out-houses were searched. One firearm was recovered and a number of vehicles including a lorry and teleporter were seized. Two men aged in their 50s and 60s were arrested and are currently detained under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act,1939 at Castlerea Garda Station.

This morning’s operation follows a number of searches carried out in counties Dublin and Meath on Monday (17/12/2018), where members of the Special Detective Unit recovered a number of items including documentation and phones as part of the investigation.

Speaking today at Castlerea Garda Station Chief Superintendent Tony Healy said, – ‘We would again like to thank the community for their continued support following recent events in Strokestown and would again appeal to anyone with information to come forward and contact us here at Castlerea Garda Station on 094 9621630 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.’

The investigation is ongoing and further updates will follow.

No mention of body cams, it seems that it has been reported by a journalist but not the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They were filmed by the security teams bodycams which were handed over to the Gardai.
    Link?
    Link?
    No link then. You should not claim things that you cant back up.
    heroics wrote: »
    Surely you can use google at this stage. Link to the gardai having footage from bodycams

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1217/1017554-roscommon-gardai-investigation/

“Gardaill speak to some of those who were injured and examine the footage from body cameras worn by the security guards.”

Do you want to acknowledge that link you asked for there? It would be good decorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When people like Fitzgerald set bad examples people follow unfortunately, like this guy in Roscommon, he sees a bad example and he thinks he can get away with leaving others out of pocket.

Fitzgerald got a write down, that's a fact. What's also a fact is that he fully engaged with the bank and even voluntarily sold his house to pay down as much of the debt as possible.

Somewhat ironically, the relevance of this story to the case in hand is that debtors who face up to their problems and engage with the banks will probably have a better outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Absolutely agree on Garrett, Regina Doherty is the current minister you are talking about but her loans were business and her house was not put up as collateral against it. I used to deal with that company as well. It went to wall around 2007 like an awful lot of other businesses. Haughey had debts expunged as well. Don't mention the twat who didn't have a bank account. I agree with none of these.

However the fact that these guys got their debts exonerated doesn't give Mr. McGann a free pass. Mr. McGann could have dealt with this like an adult and paid his way or if he wasn't able to communicate with the Bank and try and come to a deal. It appears he has tried to "hard nose" his way out of his commitments.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Fitzgerald got a write down, that's a fact. What's also a fact is that he fully engaged with the bank and even voluntarily sold his house to pay down as much of the debt as possible.

Somewhat ironically, the relevance of this story to the case in hand is that debtors who face up to their problems and engage with the banks will probably have a better outcome.

Maybe but you might also say that Fitzgerald got a write down because he was politically connected. The optics of what happened was not good.

Absolutely agree on Garrett, Regina Doherty is the current minister you are talking about but her loans were business and her house was not put up as collateral against it. I used to deal with that company as well. It went to wall around 2007 like an awful lot of other businesses. Haughey had debts expunged as well. Don't mention the twat who didn't have a bank account. I agree with none of these.

However the fact that these guys got their debts exonerated doesn't give Mr. McGann a free pass. Mr. McGann could have dealt with this like an adult and paid his way or if he wasn't able to communicate with the Bank and try and come to a deal. It appears he has tried to "hard nose" his way out of his commitments.

I would agree with most if not all of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Maybe but you might also say that Fitzgerald got a write down because he was politically connected. The optics of what happened was not good.

Your farmer friend might have gotten a write down too if he had engaged with the bank in some shape or form. He also wouldn't have been fined so heavily by revenue if he had engaged with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I would agree with most if not all of your post.

So you think McGann should get a free farm then? Free Land Rover, Free Stone from a quarry, not have to pay taxes and free plasters for Mr. Taylor.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Your farmer friend might have gotten a write down too if he had engaged with the bank in some shape or form. He also wouldn't have been fined so heavily by revenue if he had engaged with them.

I actually don't know the man in question.

It's possible of course but I believe that he would have been perused for the full amount unlike Garret who was connect.

So you think McGann should get a free farm then? Free Land Rover, Free Stone from a quarry, not have to pay taxes and free plasters for Mr. Taylor.

As I said many times ever one should pay their due debts when able unfortunately some politicains, banks and property developers have set a precedent that their debts can be written off and many people wonder why they should not do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Fitzgeralds political career was long over at the time. You could also ask if he got a write down because of his pre-political career at Aer Lingus but again, that would just be deflection. He engaged with the banks, paid back what he could and the rest was written off. Had our current hero done the same 10 years ago, he'd probably long since been re-established.

Why are you continuing with this?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Fitzgeralds political career was long over at the time. You could also ask if he got a write down because of his pre-political career at Aer Lingus but again, that would just be deflection. He engaged with the banks, paid back what he could and the rest was written off. Had our current hero done the same 10 years ago, he'd probably long since been re-established.

I think he paid back 22% of the loan but I could be wrong. His assets were much more considerable than that, he had access to more money if needed but the bank forgave him, he had a good pension and an valuable house.

I doubt that the farmer would be given such a big write off about 78% I think buy again I may be wrong.

This is the Garda press release,

As part of an ongoing investigations into an incident at Falsk, Strokestown on Sunday 16th December, 2018 a number of planned searches were carried out this morning (19/12/2018) across Co. Roscommon.

During the operation four separate locations, including houses and out-houses were searched. One firearm was recovered and a number of vehicles including a lorry and teleporter were seized. Two men aged in their 50s and 60s were arrested and are currently detained under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act,1939 at Castlerea Garda Station.

This morning’s operation follows a number of searches carried out in counties Dublin and Meath on Monday (17/12/2018), where members of the Special Detective Unit recovered a number of items including documentation and phones as part of the investigation.

Speaking today at Castlerea Garda Station Chief Superintendent Tony Healy said, – ‘We would again like to thank the community for their continued support following recent events in Strokestown and would again appeal to anyone with information to come forward and contact us here at Castlerea Garda Station on 094 9621630 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.’

The investigation is ongoing and further updates will follow.

No mention of body cams, it seems that it has been reported by a journalist but not the Garda.

Thanks to you then, we can all agree that there is real evidence of a substantive investigation into the depraved vigilante mob attack.

We have zero evidence of a substantive investigation into the nosebleed and cut knee.

As I said many times ever one should pay their due debts when able unfortunately some politicains, banks and property developers have set a precedent that their debts can be written off and many people wonder why they should not do the same.

So they resort to vigilante mob assistance to retake their homes?

I actually don't know the man in question.

It's possible of course but I believe that he would have been perused for the full amount unlike Garret who was connect.

I do believe that Garret met them more than half way. He didn’t bury his head in the sand, holding his middle finger up to all he owed money to.

You do of course know why the vast majority of people (including those from the groups that you reference), DONT do the same as the minority.........

Can you give up on this strawman, it's completely pointless.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Why are you continuing with this?

I am answering other posted questions and points. I am drawing a line showing how not taking responsibility for ones debts can lead to a culture of people believing they need not honour their financial commitments.

Advertisement