Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow vest movement ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Luckily I have two (well one is green) so I can sell you one for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

Korvanica wrote: »
    Yellow vest movement Ireland thread

Topic: Carrying your Driving License

Never Change after hours :pac:

Theres various other items I started out with as I said just a collection of things I see on social media.
    I did point out the one that annoys me is the tax on fuel.
    Its up to the individuals posting if they want to single out one thing or add other things

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Theres various other items I started out with as I said just a collection of things I see on social media.
    Its up to the individuals posting if they want to single out one thing or add other things

Nothing will change unless you take the French approach. It needs to be proper civil unrest. They need to fear us.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

I always find the phrase "the fighting Irish" a complete joke. Mostly we are a nation of cowards who love to ring the Joe Duffy show instead of protesting. The ballot box is the right place for change i hear you shout, give me a break. FFG, Labour, SF??? :pac:

The establishment have made a right horses arse out of us all these last few years. Fighting over scraps whilst we repay billions per year interest on the banking debt. Funny how we never hear about that in the media anymore? It couldn't be an agenda could it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It seems the young working class have no hope of getting on the property ladder.

The PAYE equivalent French have it easy compared to a number of other EU countries and our own particularly punitive tax regime.

In France there is a mass of diehard anarchists / wanabe revolutionaries who would organise any old riot just for the hell of it. During this particular debacle the 'yellow vests' were blockading the countries motorways and stoping the 'working classes' from actually getting to work. Camped out with liberal quantities of booze - these lovely citizens are a menace to themselves and others.

To point - if you think it is just 'young working class' people here who can't get on the property ladder you're mistaken tbh.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    How hard is it really to carry your licence in your pocket or bag? The things people get upset about is astounding to me sometimes.

So you have never forgotten your wallet ever in your whole life?
    I find that hard to believe.
    And for the leave it in your car argument,all grown ups drive different cars at times.
    The punishment doesn't fit the crime simple as.
    The people that drive without tax/insurance don't care if they lose their licence because they will continue on without it anyway.
    Its the law abiding honest person (the 99%) who will suffer from ****e like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just wait 'till there's a tachograph card reader in yer car

gctest50 wrote: »
    Just wait 'till there's a tachograph card reader in yer car

Just wait until there's only fully automated self driving cars ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Nothing will change unless you take the French approach. It needs to be proper civil unrest. They need to fear us.

Yes we need a good few changes. We need someone in government who will stand up and speak out about all the bad decisions being made and not be fearful of losing their cushy number and pensions etc etc.For one Could start by addressing the ludicrous wages paid to rte presenters through normal people's TV licence instead of rioting we could all stop paying. I don't agree with what happened in France destroying peoples cars and defacing national monuments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I wonder is it time something like this happens here.
    Personally the fuel tax here bothers me the most.

Fuel taxes are sensible, and should be increased.

50% marginal income tax rates on earnings of 35k approx are crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

gozunda wrote: »
    The PAYE equivalent French have it easy compared to a number of other EU countries and our own particularly punitive tax regime.

Direct taxes are higher in France than in Ireland.

Geuze wrote: »
    Fuel taxes are sensible, and should be increased.

50% marginal income tax rates on earnings of 35k approx are crazy.

Theres nearly a 70% tax on fuel here if you think that should be increased you are nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It will never happen here cos it would be hijacked by sinn fein or some other gob****es and used to push a different message. Plus the people who should be protesting will be too busy trying to make a wage to survive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Health and safety will be very important when storming the Barricades !

Make sure ya bring your Hi - Vis . Snipers like a target .

Yes we need a good few changes. We need someone in government who will stand up and speak out about all the bad decisions being made and not be fearful of losing their cushy number and pensions etc etc.For one Could start by addressing the ludicrous wages paid to rte presenters through normal people's TV licence instead of rioting we could all stop paying. I don't agree with what happened in France destroying peoples cars and defacing national monuments.

As bad as rioting is, i think without it Macron wouldnt have caved into the protestors demands. It can still be done without targetting ordinary joe soaps vehicles. Specific targets.

The defacing of the monuments was disgusting but we know who was behind that.

blinding wrote: »

Hard hat boots and safety goggles make sure no one falls if you organise it as you will have a personal injury claim

It will never happen here cos it would be hijacked by sinn fein or some other gob****es and used to push a different message. Plus the people who should be protesting will be too busy trying to make a wage to survive

PBP rent a mob would turn into being about refugees or some other shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Not hard at all, but it is also not hard to forget it.
    Nipping out to get some milk, or get a call to pick someone up from the station cause its raining, easy enough to forget it.

The punishment doesn't match the crime.

How are you paying for the milk? With the cash or card that's in your wallet beside your licence by any chance?

blinding wrote: »

Like was said about the TV licence if everyone refused to pay it theres nothing they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd say five years in a row of tax cuts and massive expenditure increases probably negates some of the cause for such a protest.

Not to mention regular min wage increases.

Obv, massive housing and health issues but money doesn't appear to be the limiting factor there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah. Business owners will no doubt thank you for smashing their shop and stealing their stock. Sure people living in towns don't need cars anyway, you're doing them a favour by burning them for them.

noodler wrote: »
    I'd say five years in a row of tax cuts and massive expenditure increases probably negates some of the cause for such a protest.

Not to mention regular min wage increases.

Obv, massive housing and health issues but money doesn't appear to be the limiting factor there.

Only ones that benefitted from the last 5 budgets were the unemployed

Geuze wrote: »
    Direct taxes are higher in France than in Ireland.

For a proper comparison add all other additional taxation and the absolute dearth of matching public services and our system is indeed punitive for those that work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

You mean you have to use your licence during a sweaty dogging session

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Lux23 wrote: »
    How hard is it really to carry your licence in your pocket or bag? The things people get upset about is astounding to me sometimes.

You have never forgotten and you are 100% sure that you will never ever in your life will forget? What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

The water protests were fairly effective without breaking the place up or burning it down.

The water protests were fairly effective without breaking the place up or burning it down.

Effective in delaying the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Only ones that benefitted from the last 5 budgets were the unemployed

Tax cuts.

Pension increases.

Health and housing record increases.

There's quite a bit above and beyond the fiver increases for unemployed.

noodler wrote: »
    Tax cuts.

Pension increases.

Health and housing record increases.

There's quite a bit above and beyond the fiver increases for unemployed.
    Cost of living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The tax on fuel annoys me too. It is far too low and should be doubled to help us meet our climate change targets.

Advertisement