Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Russia fires on Ukranian vessels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Conflicting reports about escalation in Donetsk.

That's a near daily and weekly occurance ,till we see something like attack helicopters and jets flying into Ukraine from Russia ,it will be business as usual .
    Russian forces will fire artillery and mortors and Ukraine will return their own artillery and mortors

And then there's sputnik

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Gatling wrote: »
    But you'll expect other children from countries to fight for us.

But give them a keyboard .

I'm sure they will fight with key strokes

Hahahahahahahaha!! Says the keyboard GOC of Boards ffs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's a near daily and weekly occurance ,till we see something like attack helicopters and jets flying into Ukraine from Russia ,it will be business as usual .
    Russian forces will fire artillery and mortors and Ukraine will return their own artillery and mortors

And then there's sputnik

Yeah, I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I think "nuclear winter" has been debunked hasnt it?

Yes someone did a sketch on A4 paper, and said about 6,000 (of the 22,000 global total) large ones (some each up to 100 megatons, making 'little boy' look very little) all going off...

- would only cause a minor interference with growing potatoes and trips to the seaside for candyfloss and rainbow spotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

But you'll expect other children from countries to fight for us.

But give them a keyboard .

I'm sure they will fight with key strokes

I wont expect anyone to fight for us. Nobody is ever and I mean ever going to invade Europe when France and the UK are sitting on enough nuclear warheads to end civilisation as we know it.

• Advertisement

I think "nuclear winter" has been debunked hasnt it?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Yes someone did a sketch on A4 paper, and said about 6,000 (of the 22,000 global total) large ones (some each up to 100 megatons, making 'little boy' look very little) all going off...

- would only cause a minor interference with growing potatoes and trips to the seaside for candyfloss and rainbow spotting.

Millions of strawmen will be radiated to death in micro seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Be terrible if that bridge got dropped, accidentally like, God knows what **** the Soviets dumped in those seas, bound to be some demolition explosive rolling around the bottom on the tides.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I wont expect anyone to fight for us. Nobody is ever and I mean ever going to invade Europe when France and the UK are sitting on enough nuclear warheads to end civilisation as we know it.

I suppose the more likely scenario would be a push up to the borders of EU. Still unlikely I think.

The threat as it is now is via economic sanctions/interference, meddling in elections and such, cyber attacks and proxy wars. All from both sides, to some extent or other.

Millions of strawmen will be radiated to death in micro seconds.

Anything made of straw really, and cotton, paper, concrete, steel.

Think the very largest 100mt wasn't tested as the jet up at high altitudes (dropping it with a parachute) still couldn't escape the resulting inferno and shockwave fast enough even at Mach1/2.

So they tested a smaller 50mt which broke someones window about 500 nautical miles away up in the arsehole regions of the siberian artic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Send in bond Jimmy bond it's the hunt for Red November

From what I recall, the SU did have one bigger than the Tsar Bomba, but were too afraid to test it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Armadildo wrote: »
    I have nothing to live for and would be quite happy to see the world burn.

Speak for yourself if you were around guns going off I would say you would change your mind fast and you would probably need to change your pants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Local schmozzle no need for outside interference.

Its mad isnt it. This has happened no more than a couple of hours ago and some on here have the Russians invading mainland Europe and calling for a European army :pac:

Lets wait a bit and get some facts before pointing the finger at the big bad Russians. I want to know why they shot at the Ukranian vessels in the first place? Where they illegally in Russian waters?

Speak for yourself if you were around guns going off I would say you would change your mind fast and you would probably need to change your pants too.

(S)he missed the chance to be in california recently. I'm sure another opportunity will present itself soon.

Anyways, it's watch and wait time.

Hopefully this situation will fizzle out so we may all sleep soundly in our beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Anything made of straw really, and cotton, paper, concrete, steel.

Think the very largest 100mt wasn't tested as the jet up at high altitudes (dropping it with a parachute) still couldn't escape the resulting inferno and shockwave fast enough even at Mach1/2.

So they tested a smaller 50mt which broke someones window about 500 nautical miles away up in the arsehole regions of the siberian artic.

So you reckon Russia is going to drop a 100mt nuclear bomb on Kiev?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Armadildo wrote: »
    Won't be no nukes hitting Ireland.

Im not in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I suppose the more likely scenario would be a push up to the borders of EU. Still unlikely I think.

The threat as it is now is via economic sanctions/interference, meddling in elections and such, cyber attacks and proxy wars. All from both sides, to some extent or other.

Absolutely. Russian interference in Brexit, US, French elections is often referred to in western media but Western interference in internal Russian or Ukrainian politics is never mentioned.

For countries like the US and UK to bemoan foreign interference in their internal politics after their long history of regime change from South America to Africa to the Middle East is so hypocritical it’s funny.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

So you reckon Russia is going to drop a 100mt nuclear bomb on Kiev?

In a very worse case scenario? Nope.

Too close and too many semi-fertile fields in that region.

Elsewhere, who knows (in an 'very unlikely' SHTF event).

Will there be a global conflict sometime in the next 50yrs, perhaps.
    Are China and others preparing for such an event, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

pri wrote: »
    Any links about the situation in Donetsk?

Reports range from nothing at all is happening to massive artillery barrage by Ukraine. Classic fog of war stuff.

pri wrote: »
    Any links about the situation in Donetsk?

All quiet it seems, from sources on the ground. Russian disinfo at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If this escalates it is fair to assume Ukraine has been given the support of NATO.

Would the US have permitted Mexico to join the Warsaw Pact?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Seems like the Ukranian navy were sailing there ships through the Kerch strait without any Russian authorisation? Why would they do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Never seen that account before so finding it a tad suspect. In addition, Ukraine Security council are apparently meeting in 40 minutes so it will be on table as possibility.
    https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1066804439749660673

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This is what happens when you don't deal with aggressive rogue regimes like Russia properly in the first place.

If they are proven to be in the wrong then there needs to be a strong response from the International Community. Booting them out of the SWIFT system would be a good start along with restricting uber rich Russians ability to travel as well.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    If this escalates it is fair to assume Ukraine has been given the support of NATO.

Would the US have permitted Mexico to join the Warsaw Pact?

I wouldn't assume that that support goes beyond verbal and economic. Could be wrong of course.

Advertisement