Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a rural county councillor

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a rural county councillor, AMA

spindex wrote: »
    What mobile phone do you have and did the tax payers of Ireland pay for it ?
    I have an iPhone 7 at the minute, it was an upgrade and cost me about €200 and I am paid by the tax payer and I am a tax payer so both myself and the tax payers of Ireland paid for the phone.

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a rural county councillor, AMA

Do you think more powers of government should be delegated to Councillors?
    In short, yes I do.

The powers of councillors have been really pared back over the years and over time its officials who have a lot of control but we still have a large say in the council budget and county development and they are arguably the two most important/biggest elements of any council.

Happy to go on further if you have anything specific in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Do you think the buffoonery antics of the Healy Ray brothers paint an unfair picture of rural councillors?

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Who has been most co-operative with you on projects etc.

Fianna fail councillors
    Sinn Fein councillors
    Independent
    Oh good grief!!!!

Right, our independents work well with us and are reasonable, shinners are actually ok until HQ get involved and then its just opposition to everything and Fianna fail are the most dysfunctional outfit I have ever seen, literally like having extra independents. some really good thinkers and all but useless as a group. labour councillors are good too.

Stanford wrote: »
    Do you think the buffoonery antics of the Healy Ray brothers paint an unfair picture of rural councillors?
    I think it's unfair to use the term buffoonery.

I'm envious that what they do seems to work but I couldn't do what they do, I just think it's dishonest.

I hope they don't paint a picture of all rural councillors because in my experience they are unique to themselves even in Kerry they seem to be the odd ones out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Blaming climate change on God, wearing flat caps in the Dail, mentioning every Kerry village in every speech....thats buffoonery to me but thank you for your answer, they make Shane Ross look clever..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Do you ever find their is no pleasing some people?
    I see this locally no matter what somebody in county council or government does it's never good enough.
    Examples would be.
    They give out more medical card. They say there's to many and they don't benefit the working man.
    If they are cut they say shame on the government for doing this.
    If a pot hole is filled they say they needs to be more public transport.
    When the rural bus is introduced they say the roads are filled with pot holes.
    Same with housing/etc.
    How do you and colleges deal with these people?

miamee wrote: »
    Is politics something you aspired to get into or something you fell into after seeing a need for things to be done/done differently? If so, what was it that gave you that push to go for it?

Do you get much job satisfaction from it? I'd imagine being contactable 24/7 you'd have to enjoy it to some degree!
    Great question!!

I guess it was all about timing.

My dad was a member of FG but politics wasn't that big in our house. I was heavily involved in my local town from GAA to tidy towns to all kinds of things really. I happened to be a very young volunteer in my community and when the elections were coming around I was approached to run, I guess I had a little bit of a profile but I didn't know the first thing about the council but knew that it was a way for me to influence my town and said sure why not run, the town needs someone.

If I wasn't a councillor I'd still be as involved with my community as I am now but once elected you see a whole new side of the job and whats expected of elected members. When you a local volunteer you're great but when your a councillor you're now the local volunteer (FOR EVERYTHING) and you're also the guy who know peoples personal business inside and out and it can be hard to know which you should be putting more time into.

Hope that answers your question somewhat, please come back to me if you would like more info

How much does each election campaign cost you? How much of this do you fund personally?
    Excellent question!

It costs about 5k to run a campaign in my experience.

Obviously there are people who can do it for 500 and others who go all the way to the cap but each to their own.

The party in my case would fund a certain amount of posters and leaflets but everything else is down to me and thankfully a very supportive family who will do driving and make the odd small donation. (50 or 100 euro) but theres no big business or anything behind it.

I think my last campaign was approx 3k? Off the top of my head anyway.

Stanford wrote: »
    Blaming climate change on God, wearing flat caps in the Dail, mentioning every Kerry village in every speech....thats buffoonery to me but thank you for your answer, they make Shane Ross look clever..!!!
    lol maybe I'd agree with you more than I initially thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Perhaps this question won't make sense to you but anyway:

What do you think is the general public's biggest misconception of what a county councillor's job entails?

How often do you get abused - either physically or verbally?
    What was the worst instance?

Do you think there is good value in the political system for the taxpayers?

What is your take on corruption - the programme on rte about the councillors taking cash bribes for a fake windmill generation? It doesn't help the public perception.
    Very rarely would I ever be abused either way.

Once or twice around the time of the water charge protests, but that was just shouting. Called a bollix once or twice over the years but it's very rare in my experience.

Good value for tax payers?

Very simply, the tax payers have a vote and they decide what value they get by using their vote. At the moment, I think there are good people in the Dail, and a lot of good councillors too, unfortunately theres always exceptions who bring down the value but in general I think we are served pretty ok- what do you think?

"What is your take on corruption - the programme on rte about the councillors taking cash bribes for a fake windmill generation? It doesn't help the public perception".

Interesting question on corruption... my take? NONE! obviously.

That program was astonishing but the fact the councillors actually believed such a big company albeit a fake one, wanted their help first and not a CEO? Would tell me it was the first time they had ever encountered such a thing. Even the guy in Donegal seemed to be winging it from what I could see.

In my experience I have never seen evidence of corruption. I have seen officials use discretion on a minor personal matter to benefit a member of the public in an exceptional circumstance, I have seen councillors use their own money to help constituents, but I have never seen anything that I deemed to be corrupt happening.

You get people asking you to help them get jobs with the council but in most cases canvasing disqualifies, and we usually can't help anyway...

hope that answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What's your view on the abolition of town councils and (2) what is your view on the amalgamation of city and county councils, ie Limerick and proposed Galway?

Do you ever find their is no pleasing some people?
    I see this locally no matter what somebody in county council or government does it's never good enough.
    Examples would be.
    They give out more medical card. They say there's to many and they don't benefit the working man.
    If they are cut they say shame on the government for doing this.
    If a pot hole is filled they say they needs to be more public transport.
    When the rural bus is introduced they say the roads are filled with pot holes.
    Same with housing/etc.
    How do you and colleges deal with these people?
    Yes, unfortunately, you have hit the nail on the head.

Enda Kenny was 100% right what he said about whingers.

Are there serious issues in the country YES. Does the government get it wrong sometimes? YES

But make no mistake about it, some people cannot be pleased.

I had a case where a a couple were writing to me every second day requesting help in getting housed by the local authority.

After about a year of writing to me (on FB of course) and about 5 years on the list they got offered a house but they just couldn't accept it because it was a bungalow and she really wanted a two storey house.

I kid you not!

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What's your view on the abolition of town councils and (2) what is your view on the amalgamation of city and county councils, ie Limerick and proposed Galway?
    I could see the sense in abolishing town councils at the time but in hindsight it hasn't been great and I fail to see where all the money that was saved from a reduction in councillors has gone. I think town councils did serve a good purpose but in a lot of cases their budgets were way beyond their means. I think the new restructures might work well in that the town area returns and hopefully with its own engineer and staff etc, but we shouldn't go back to the mad budgets of the past.

I don't like the idea of amalgamating city and county councils. I think you can create a reporting structure that links both but city and county councils are totally different animals and I don't think amalgamating them is wise.

osarusan wrote: »
    Perhaps this question won't make sense to you but anyway:

What do you think is the general public's biggest misconception of what a county councillor's job entails?
    Makes perfect sense.

I would say probably housing.

"Oh Cllr. Joe Bloggs got me my house"

No, he most certainly did not. Maybe in the old days councillor had more of a say, in fact, they had all the say, but these days houses are allocated on a need and circumstance basis and it's nonsense when people accredit councillors with "getting them a house" that entire phrase irks me. Yes councillors make reps to housing officials but every applicant will likely have a rep from one or more councillors so it all balances out.

The next biggest misconception is that people just assume you know how or who or why everything happens. They expect you to get involved in domestic disputes with neighbours, they literally think you have the answers to everything.

I would also think very few people realise that our main role every year is to pass a budget. That we get a say in property tax, that we can raise commercial rates that we can change the county development plan.

Instead you're a pothole filler, a house getter, a form filler, a grant giver etc.

I could probably think of more if I had time. lol

Why did you join FG?

Do you have hopes of higher office and how long do you think you’ll have to wait to get there?

Why do councils still allow planning permission for one-off houses? Towns and villages are dying throughout the country, people are bemoaning the loss of communities yet it is the councils that allow the towns/villages to die with appalling planning decisions.
    Why did you join FG?

I joined FG when I was asked to run for the party. My dad had been a member and most of his side of the family were involved.

Do you have hopes of higher office and how long do you think you’ll have to wait to get there?

No, I don't have hopes of higher office, maybe if the timing, need, opportunity arose I'd consider it, but I've a lot more work to get done before I'd ever consider it. I'm passionate about my own local area and county but I don't know if I would be a better benefit to my county by being a TD, but you never know! And sure as everyone says "The salary would be alright!"

Why do councils still allow planning permission for one-off houses? Towns and villages are dying throughout the country, people are bemoaning the loss of communities yet it is the councils that allow the towns/villages to die with appalling planning decisions.

I would agree that there have been appalling planning decisions but if one off houses are being built it is because there is a demand for them. Yes, there is trouble coming down the line when the room runs out in the country and the towns are empty but I suspect the direction for change there will need to come from leinster house and I cannot see rural politicians agreeing with the removal of one off housing. Would take a serious change in mindset.

Yes, unfortunately, you have hit the nail on the head.

Enda Kenny was 100% right what he said about whingers.

Are there serious issues in the country YES. Does the government get it wrong sometimes? YES

But make no mistake about it, some people cannot be pleased.

I had a case where a a couple were writing to me every second day requesting help in getting housed by the local authority.

After about a year of writing to me (on FB of course) and about 5 years on the list they got offered a house but they just couldn't accept it because it was a bungalow and she really wanted a two storey house.

I kid you not!

Thanks for the response.
    In my town the council bought a house on the edge of town in the mid 2000's. It was renovated at the time and had bits and pieces done over the years. The family now say they want a new house because the current one isn't safe due to disrepair and have turned down a house in the local estate because they want a stand alone house for more freedom/etc.
    It must be very frustrating when people like yourself who are trying ye're best for people.
    I can't see the housing crises being fixed if people can keep on turning down houses.
    Between this situation and the one you described. Can you?
    Just to note I have no issue wit council/social housing. It's a very good ting and most people are grateful for it but some people's expectations are to high and I feel they are rubbing onto others more and more. Party due to the media/social media.
    People of my parents(50's/60's) generation would have jumped threw hoops if they got offered a house but this is becoming less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hi..any chance of a reply to my earlier post ..as a taxpayer logging into fixmystreet as you mentioned to an earlier contributor certainly ain't my job and highlights just how removed from everyday life some local authorities are.

In fairness, reporting an issue via FixMyStreet is no more difficult that reporting an issue any other way. You're going to have to tell them the location and the nature of the problem, so FixMyStreet is as good as any way of doing this.

The real question is how the Council respond to these reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thanks for talking the time.
    No agenda just a thought but what would you think about making TD interference in council matters illegal and likewise making council rep to housing officials illegal. Just two examples but you get the idea , clarifies the rules and allows folks to focus on what they should be doing. Haven't thought it through but would genuinely be interested in your view, thanks again.

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate on what you mean by reports please?

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was referring to reports from people submitted via FixMyStreet of potholes or litter or illegal adverts or broken street lights.

I've had very mixed responses to these, some things fixed within days, others get zero response and are still outstanding years later.

Is there any proper process around these? Is anyone monitoring the number of reports submitted and actioned by department or section?

T
    I can't see the housing crises being fixed if people can keep on turning down houses.
    This has a minimal impact on the housing crises. If family A refuses the house, family B will accept it. If family A refuses three houses, they get thrown off the housing list.

This has a minimal impact on the housing crises. If family A refuses the house, family B will accept it. If family A refuses three houses, they get thrown off the housing list.

How about when people who are housed and it goes into disrepair and demand another house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Why Fine Gael?And no the fact your father or grandfather was an FG supporter is not an answer. What is your political mantra?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

But on average, a councillor gets approx 22k per year.

That's pretty sh*te!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I could see the sense in abolishing town councils at the time but in hindsight it hasn't been great and I fail to see where all the money that was saved from a reduction in councillors has gone. I think town councils did serve a good purpose but in a lot of cases their budgets were way beyond their means. I think the new restructures might work well in that the town area returns and hopefully with its own engineer and staff etc, but we shouldn't go back to the mad budgets of the past.

I don't like the idea of amalgamating city and county councils. I think you can create a reporting structure that links both but city and county councils are totally different animals and I don't think amalgamating them is wise.

What was your opinion of Phil Hogan? Do you think FG are hard wired to self destruct when they get into power? By this I mean seem to always go for the most unpopular choices.

How about when people who are housed and it goes into disrepair and demand another house?

Then the Council's own processes for dealing with difficult tenants kicks in. You can 'demand' all you like from Housing officials, but you don't get unless you meet the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Is this "three refusals" and you're out (or at least back to bottom of priority list depending on your priority such as disability or family size etc.) across the board or does it depend on individual local authority?

In the case of the lady last week I have empathy with Dub City Council or whichever LA is responsible; how do you find a house with sufficient rooms for a mother/father and seven kids; one's a baby, some're toddlers, rest're children.

In that case you need a four bed property by my Maths; that's not easy to come by and if the family increase in size (and the lady's only 28 so it's a distinct probability) it gets even more difficult to house them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

That's pretty sh*te!

With that pay scale, 22k, wouldn't a Cllr. qualify for social housing?

Does the threshold in terms of low income differ from LA to LA?

Obviously the optics of a Cllr. securing social housing aren't great but if they've no other means of income then they're as entitled (that word!) as anyone else.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response.
    In my town the council bought a house on the edge of town in the mid 2000's. It was renovated at the time and had bits and pieces done over the years. The family now say they want a new house because the current one isn't safe due to disrepair and have turned down a house in the local estate because they want a stand alone house for more freedom/etc.
    It must be very frustrating when people like yourself who are trying ye're best for people.
    Between this situation and the one you described. Can you?
    Just to note I have no issue wit council/social housing. It's a very good ting and most people are grateful for it but some people's expectations are to high and I feel they are rubbing onto others more and more. Party due to the media/social media.
    People of my parents(50's/60's) generation would have jumped threw hoops if they got offered a house but this is becoming less common.
    Housing crisis will be fixed, not today or this year but it will.

I'm familiar with similar cases like the one you described but neither your case or mine are the main problem but they don't help.

You're right about your parents generation, they valued things like a home more. Then again, that was when there was really no choice. Maybe the issue these days is that you can stay in private rented accommodation subsidised by the state, maybe a four bed house with ensuite rooms so why accept a smaller house when your bills could be similar?

The answer to that question should be, because you are being offered this and nowhere else maybe... but then again, everyones circumstance are different and it's not as simple as we'd all like it to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement