Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

listermint wrote: »
    Must be a sign from above then

Hasn't rained this much in months ....

Lovely weather earlier this year for the referendum success too. A sign from above perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Gael23 wrote: »
    Looks like the begrudgers didn’t get their way.
    Huge turnout
    Certain angles make the crowd look huge along with the free for all on the popes route.
    The aerial views paint a different picture- low density of people in the segregated areas away from the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I am delighted that mine and others silent protests against the RCC have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

To be fair.....it's filled out a bit along with a lot of the busmobile chasers not being in their spots as the cars went around.

300k probably, but no more than that which is probably a realistic figure expected IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Stunning venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

road_high wrote: »
    The rain hasn't been that bad in Leinster this morning.

It was bloody awful in a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Huge turnout

Are we watching the same thing? Nothing like the hype would have had us believe I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

100,000 and no more from that overhead shot from the helicopter just now. The last hurrah for the catholic church in this country. Hopefully we'll never see such delusion again in the future.

And an almost obligatory shot of Brian D'Arcy. You would think he would have left the church by now given how vocal a critic he has been. Is he still hiding Peter Darragh Quinn up in his parish BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McDermotX wrote: »
    To be fair.....it's filled out a bit along with a lot of the busmobile chasers not being in their spots as the cars went around.

300k probably, but no more than that which is probably a realistic figure expected IMO

Not a mission is that 300,000 in the overhead shot. Max 150,000

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Those 280,000 people dressed head to foot in green are making it look sparse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

It's funny though even for people who are against it, everyone seems to be watching

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sounds like Glastonbury which sells out in 4 minutes every year.

But there is no religious element to it, just great muddy fun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Huge turnout

Ahem. I took this about 15 minutes ago:
    906_C1282-81_E0-4_FEF-_AA15-8_BD09069_D4_B9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

road_high wrote: »
    They have been quick to move on from that angle each time!

To be honest, I think RTE needs to show this.
    It’s an important moment for Ireland and it’s not meant to be doing a PR job.
    If the place is empty. Let’s see it empty. That’s a very important message being sent by the Irish public.

It's funny though even for people who are against it, everyone seems to be watching

No law against that. I think a lot are watching to see how low the crowd is and comment is free!

I think it is the marking of the passing of such religious events in this country anymore, so is therefore historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

all very giddy watchig it too lol.

I am enjoying the music and singing. Very good.

I was expecting Kumbaya on a loop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

From a social history point of view, it’s interesting. Not that surprising.

Not a mission is that 300,000 in the overhead shot. Max 150,000

Official figure is 299,992. So not a bad guess :p

FWIW I'd say you'll see about 300k mentioned as a turnout, whether thats accurate is another thing, but all things considered it's probably a realistic ballpark expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

FWIW I'd say you'll see about 300k mentioned as a turnout, whether thats accurate is another thing, but all things considered it's probably a realistic ballpark

Official from who ? The gardai are the only ones that will give an official figure, and it wont be until after the event.

• Advertisement

All those priests in dresses and headgear. It is so unnecessary to me and looks medieval.

Frankie I think, would prefer it to be much simpler, with maybe just a server or two to help him.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Official from who ? The gardai are the only ones that will give an official figure, and it wont be until after the event.

Whoosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

No way there is even close to 300k people at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FWIW I'd say you'll see about 300k mentioned as a turnout, whether thats accurate is another thing, but all things considered it's probably a realistic ballpark expectation.

That is probably based on tickets issued.
    It is no were near 299,000. think about that for a second and look at the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Whoosh

Whoosh what ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ahem. I took this about 15 minutes ago:

That picture doesn't show it all though.

They had those corrals all over the place In the park. Not just in front of the cross. By the football pitches, chapelizod gates, all along chesterfield avenue.

The tickets an attendee got, gave them a designated area to go to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The resident Unionists giving out about the Pope. Talk about a complete lack of self-awareness.

How dare people be critical of the Pope and his pedophile organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

He really knows how to work the altar. Look at that chalice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

jrkb wrote: »
    No way there is even close to 300k people at it.

Any figures from the protest gathering yet?(assuming some people on here are there)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

It's even funnier that those that are complaining will and probably have got married in a Church and their kids will or have already made their Communions.

Advertisement