Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liege

• 29-05-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

TWO POLICE OFFICERS have been shot dead in the Belgian city of Liege.
    A gunman also shot a bystander and two other people have been wounded.
    Public broadcaster RTBF is reporting that the man is now dead.
    It said the gunman fled the scene, taking a cleaning woman hostage at a nearby school, but he was later “neutralised”.

http://www.thejournal.ie/two-police-officers-shot-belguim-4042041-May2018/

Latest reports indicating he took the gun from one of the officers before shooting them both and a bystander. All three dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Yet another shooting in Belgium,

2 police dead, 2 bystanders dead!

Will they never learn that Integration Does Not Work???

History has proven time and again that there are Too many cultural differences between North Western Celtic nations and the Arab/North African nations for integration to work properly!

Opinions please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It seems to me from the reading of it that the hostage situation took place after he had killed the policemen and bystander. So, I don't know - did the person just grab a gun out of a police man's holster and start shooting? Crazy to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Opinions please?

Yeah, I wonder what your opinion is when a school shooting happens, do you blame immigration then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

History has proven time and again that there are Too many cultural differences between North Western Celtic nations and the Arab/North African nations for integration to work properly!

Opinions please?

I dont remember bombings and shootings in Tooting SW London in the late 80s and early 90s, when you had a mix of White English and Irish, Black, Muslims, Pakistani, etc, etc, where you had a Mosque, a Synagogue, a Catholic, and CoE Church, all within a 10 minute walk of wach other.

Intergration can work, where people have repect with each others cultures. The problem is now, people want you to feel alienated, and offended, just because of the actions of a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Yeah, I wonder what your opinion is when a school shooting happens, do you blame immigration then too?

Even when it's not the foreigners, it's the foreigners.

We should have a thread about the Mali migrant who got citizenship for saving a child

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Opinions please?

Belgium is a vastly multicultural country and has been for some time. You're talking nonsense

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It is low blood sugar season after all.
    Took long, this year

Edit:

"Known" to the police
    Released from jail yesterday.
    Allegedly shouting the usual fairy iin the sky is so great message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Intergration can work, where people have repect with each others cultures. The problem is now, people want you to feel alienated, and offended, just because of the actions of a few.

Wahhabism does not encourage respect of others, it does not want to integrate with Jews, Hindus etc.

A generation of people with a low skill set and education are being taught that, their religion means everyone else should get on their knees, or else..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Opinions please?

You show no concern for the victims or their families;? just sensationalising?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It seems that a certain subset of posters, pretty much jump to there agenda any time this kind of thing happens, and if it turns out there wrong, they will either disappear or double down on being wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Speaking as someone who has admittedly quite conservative views on migration, I have to ask is it that hard to wait until details come out before jumping into particular arguments. One of two things has happened;

1. Its not terror related, in which case jumping onto the issue makes you look like an irrational one trick nut.

2. It is terror related, in which case you can still make your argument but you cant be accused of junping to conclusions.

Also, while Im here, if it turns out to be a banal act of criminality or a "home grown" terrorist, try to avoid the schadenfreude of "see it happens to everyone". It just looks smug and tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Weepsie wrote: »
    Belgium is a vastly multicultural country and has been for some time. You're talking nonsense

Multiculturalism doesn't automatically mean proper integration ... as is evidenced in all major European cities

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Amalgam wrote: »
    Wahhabism does not encourage respect of others, it does not want to integrate with Jews, Hindus etc.

A generation of people with a low skill set and education are being taught that, their religion means everyone else should get on their knees, or else..

Who do we blame for that though. Even now, in the 2010s, I would still happily walk down the same Tooting High Street, and do most times I am over, without any fear. People want you to be scared, if you are scared, their agenda is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

bluewolf wrote: »
    Even when it's not the foreigners, it's the foreigners.

We should have a thread about the Mali migrant who got citizenship for saving a child

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057876631

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I'm gonna be really blunt here and horribly insensitive - but what the f*ck?

Honestly, look at the difference between reactions here when it's a school shooting by a white male and a shooting done by an immigrant* who "failed to integrate"?

They are both crimes, done by sick, sick individuals and there is absolutely no need or reason to push personal racial agendas on the matter.

Literally all threads like this somehow end up extreme Muslim bashing whereas there's nowhere near the amount of vitriol when it's a young school shooter off his rocker in the US?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Who do we blame for that though. Even now, in the 2010s, I would still happily walk down the same Tooting High Street, and do most times I am over, without any fear. People want you to be scared, if you are scared, their agenda is working.

Saudi Arabia is paying people a living wage to attend particular mosques in parts of the former Yugoslavia and the Balkans. A strong incentive in typically very very poor communities.

Spain, the Middle Ages, Muslims, Jews, Christians could live alongside each other because the commercial dynamic was different, they, typically, depended on each other for aspects of life their religion forbade. This is no longer the case.

EDIT: Attacks are overwhelmingly a 'Sunni problem' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Must be an absolute nightmare trying to run an armed robbery business in France and Belgium in the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

eat a snackbar you're not yourself when you're hungry

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

An aśśhole with a gun is an aśśhole with a gun.

He can claim religion as the motivation, or he can claim his boss was a prick and that made him do it, or he could have been spurned by some woman.

His main reason is that he is an aśśhole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Killer is Bejamin Herman ... Belgium national

On leave from prison

Its reported He radicalized in prison where he was held for non terror crime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Rabs on the rampage, sponsored by (((gods chosen people))).

tomofson wrote: »
    Rabs on the rampage, sponsored by (((gods chosen people))).

Stay classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

https://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/detail_l-auteur-de-la-fusillade-a-liege-etait-en-conge-penitentiaire-depuis-lundi?id=9930716 (translated)
    Benjamin Herman, from Rochefort, was 36 years old (born in 1982). He was well known to the police for theft, damage to public property and small drug trafficking. The offender was found to be very violent and was sentenced, among other things, for drug trafficking.

His psychological profile was considered "unstable". A "difficult" youth is evoked. He had no contact with his family.

Reported for another fact on the night of Monday to Tuesday. Last night he allegedly committed a crime in the province of Luxembourg.

The shooting in Liege follows a police check that went wrong. The man allegedly used a cutter and seized the weapon of one of the two policemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wahhabism The user Amalgam does not encourage respect of others, it does not want to integrate with Jews, Hindus etc.

Fixed your post. there was a subtext that was going unsaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Stay classy.

Stay sleeping.

Grayson wrote: »
    Fixed your post. there was a subtext that was going unsaid.

Keep being an apologist. The AGS are keeping you safe as I type.

I went to a College with a Jewish curriculum, I have no problem with Hindus. Cheers.

tomofson wrote: »
    Stay sleeping.

Fancy throwing out sheeple now, or do you want to save that one for later on?

Billy86 wrote: »

Ok Mods. Close this one down and chalk it up to yet another alleged but subsequently unproven case of "multiculturalism won't work".

We await to do it all again when someone else jumps the gun on another incident in Europe or the US. (no morbid pun intended).

• Advertisement

Keep being an apologist. The AGS are keeping you safe as I type.

I went to a College with a Jewish curriculum, I have no problem with Hindus. Cheers.

Ah - the old "I'm not racist, I've a mate that's black" defence. Gotcha ;)

Advertisement