Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature entry medicine 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hopeful2015

I figured this might be the case. Fascinated that they can see your CAO choices in front of them while they decide but definitely playing the odds and I am sure there will be plenty doing the same.

Fingers crossed it won't go against me.

Thanks though!
    hey ahorseortwo did you get an offer without interview from a uni or is it out of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ahorseortwo

hey ahorseortwo did you get an offer without interview from a uni or is it out of Ireland?
    Offer was from Trinity but is not for Med, for Physio which is the backup plan should I not get anything from RCSI or UCC or UCD.

I did interview for it however

Thanks for letting me know, good luck with rcsi, ucd and ucd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Hi all sorry to hijack the thread
    Just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to cover the cost of the course? Did you save? Get a loan? I'd be really grateful as I have always loved medicine, would read about it all day if I could but don't see a way i could afford it...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

cinnamony wrote: »
    Hi all sorry to hijack the thread
    Just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to cover the cost of the course? Did you save? Get a loan? I'd be really grateful as I have always loved medicine, would read about it all day if I could but don't see a way i could afford it...

BOI will give you the GEM loan.
    That loan pays your tuition fees for four years (It pays €15k a year for you, currently RCSI is €16k a year so you'd have to pay the balance).
    You'd leave college with a €60k loan, which you start paying back when you graduate, paid back over 10 years.
    Bare in mind however that undergrad is a 5 year course so you'd have to fund one year yourself.

Some colleges are cheaper however, for example I think NUIG is €9k a year.

I'm also a physio so I do locum work which can pay quite well and that does me for spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

BOI will give you the GEM loan.
    That loan pays your tuition fees for four years (It pays €15k a year for you, currently RCSI is €16k a year so you'd have to pay the balance).
    You'd leave college with a €60k loan, which you start paying back when you graduate, paid back over 10 years.
    Bare in mind however that undergrad is a 5 year course so you'd have to fund one year yourself.

Some colleges are cheaper however, for example I think NUIG is €9k a year.

I'm also a physio so I do locum work which can pay quite well and that does me for spending money.

Thank you so much for the info, I'll look more into it :)
    60k is crazy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BohoBoo

Would appear that UCC are offering interviews by means of  a phonecall today, in case anyone was holding out on a move to Cork .
    Ah I spoke to Cork on Thursday and they said they would send out communication on the 8th or 9th of May...?
    Has anyone else been offered an interview at Cork?
    Also, does anyone know if UCD carry out interviews? I've called them twice and they said they don't usually interview for their courses but surely this can't be true of Medicine?
    And good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

lizzie101 wrote: »
    Emm I didn't receive that email- Not sure what it means :S . Have you completed a degree before? How are you feeling about the interview? If you don't mind me asking are you a girl/boy and what county you are from?

Hahaha I'm a boy or dare I say man of 24 😊 yes two previous degrees plus a fetac in pre nursing, a BSc. In health and society and finishing as I type my masters thesis for my mph Master in Public health. . IM hoping to get into the public health medical registrar training after it. I feel good also a trained actor so I like.interviews over exams !!!!

vladcount wrote: »
    Hahaha I'm a boy or dare I say man of 24 😊 yes two previous degrees plus a fetac in pre nursing, a BSc. In health and society and finishing as I type my masters thesis for my mph Master in Public health. . IM hoping to get into the public health medical registrar training after it. I feel good also a trained actor so I like.interviews over exams !!!!
    Oh and from Dublin

Oh and from Dublin

The only thing im dreading I got Thursday the 11th for interview im 4th in th morning and have an exam later that day :( a part of my masters

• Advertisement

BohoBoo wrote: »
    Ah I spoke to Cork on Thursday and they said they would send out communication on the 8th or 9th of May...?
    Has anyone else been offered an interview at Cork?
    Also, does anyone know if UCD carry out interviews? I've called them twice and they said they don't usually interview for their courses but surely this can't be true of Medicine?
    And good luck everyone!

Youre correct BohoBoo. Cork notified me of my interview the other day by phone actually and then by email later. I was told they would send communication of rejection by the 9th when I had first called them about it but that could very well have been codswollop. They did mention on the phone there was a significant waitlist for interview and to let them know if I wasn't attending ASAP.

Have heard the similar story from UCD actually. Appears they don't seem to have any interviews for their matures for a lot of courses! Would like to think they do at some point but have never heard of anyone doing so!

Best of luck with it !

Hadn't realised you had been a physio before nairy hipples. Would love to pick your brain about the differences if I could by PM even?

Currently have a Physio offer and a few med interviews and not sure which route I truly want to go down.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Hadn't realised you had been a physio before nairy hipples. Would love to pick your brain about the differences if I could by PM even?

Currently have a Physio offer and a few med interviews and not sure which route I truly want to go down.

Thanks

Yeah no problem ask away!!

Anyone else get their panel email lol feeling excited !!! Quick get the grannies to light the prayers candles :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bam_Bam_7777

How are the RCSI interviews? Any advice for someone who is in tomorrow?

How are the RCSI interviews? Any advice for someone who is in tomorrow?

Sorry I didn't see this til now. I hope your interview went well regardless Bam_Bam_7777 !

No problem at all ahorseortwo. I think I got on ok! How does everyone else feel it went?

only seen this now also, hope it went well, i got head of surgery in my first panel, he asked me the same question at the start and end, hoping he either liked my direction of my logic or im totally f***ed

It's very hard to know, the interviewers are very hard to read but at least we don't have long to wait until the verdict. Fingers crossed!!

I actually got asked to expand more on an answer too but immediately after I finished. I'm not sure what that means

• Advertisement

very true not a long wait at all ! 1 in 3 chance lads ! the second panel loved me, the first was grand , i explained I love the history of rcsi and the fact it just specializes in health and the fact that 6 years ago doing first hpat i fell in love with the campus. The head of resp.med and physc. and other woman cant for the fogginess of my memory remember who she was but they both liked me. I was relaxed but had to stop my hands from doing all the talking.

it would be great if we all got in here, just randomly shout out usernames on induction day lol

I was the last of the day at RCSI!

The first room went terribly, second room much better.

Does anyone know when we find out?

And how is everyone going to fork out 16k a year??

Also, anyone in Galway tomorrow?

em, Next friday by call and email and im working as a hca and research assitant so im saving and getting a loan from aib for first yr and getting boi loan for yr 2-5/6. and id say it wasnt that bad, if it was due to nerves youd be surprised they do account for that, let me guess a certain Hull was your destroyer ????

em, Next friday by call and email and im working as a hca and research assitant so im saving and getting a loan from aib for first yr and getting boi loan for yr 2-5/6. and id say it wasnt that bad, if it was due to nerves youd be surprised they do account for that, let me guess a certain Hull was your destroyer ????

I felt fine when I arrived, I don't know why I was so thrown off, nerves I wasn't expecting!

I can't even remember what their roles were, a woman and a man. To be honest they were all very friendly so was completely my own fault.

Did anyone happen to ask the trinity panel when we would hear the verdict?

Has anyone heard from tcd at all yet?

Has anyone heard from tcd at all yet?

Other than them saying I was out if the running race back two months ago nada.

• Advertisement

Anyone who got a RCSI interview, who feels modestly happy with it... is it only me or is the suspense killing you... like we could actually get the chance to become what we want in life physicians and surgeon's !

Just 54 hours to go...... assuming they tell us by email at 8 :)

I just want to know.....

How my of us here got an interview... from rcsi that is and any word from UCD yet ive sent an email and am planning on popping into school office tomorrow so if.I.hear anything ill pass it on to u.guys.

Advertisement