Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've a few queries on motorbike licencing relating to my father and myself.
    Firstly, I have had a provisional A1 since around 2007, I then renewed this in early 2013 and obtained a provisional A2 (I was 23 at the time). I have done no lessons or IBT to date, however I have recently turned 24.
    My father has a provisional A1 since 2009, he sat the theory test and has done nothing since. This expired late in 2013 and has yet to be renewed.
    We are both looking at buying a bike and doing our tests over the summer. Could anyone confirm our best course of action? Realistically, the A2 licence would be more than sufficient for both of us. However, I understand we will both need to do 18 hours of IBT regardless of if we pursue the A2 or A route, so it would seem like it makes more sense for us both to do the A and leave our options open in the future.
    Is there anything else which we should consider in relation to this? Would I be correct to assume we should both renew and get provisional A licences and go on from there? No bike or equipment is bought yet and we will probably hire the bike for the test, so that side of things shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks for any help.

Regards,
    Patrick.

Hi Paddy,

Yes the IBT course is the same for category 'A2' or 'A' modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours).
    You would be best to apply for an 'A' permit and complete IBT for category 'A' as then you are then unrestricted and would not have to cpmplete any more IBT training.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Hi Paddy,

Yes the IBT course is the same for category 'A2' or 'A' modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours).
    You would be best to apply for an 'A' permit and complete IBT for category 'A' as then you are then unrestricted and would not have to cpmplete any more IBT training.

Thanks for that. I assume the only other difference is if we both renew and get an A licence, we would have to wait 6 months to sit the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 colinjp

Hi is the 175kg min weight a wet or dry weight? ie: the weight of the bike with or without a tank of petrol ?
    For example the triumph street triple is a 675cc with 79kw but has a dry weight of 168kg and wet weight of 183kg

Thanks
    You should have covered all of this during your IBT, new plastic card learner permit is unrestricted, so if you have this & IBT complete you can ride any motorcycle that you can get insured on.

If you want to use your own bike for a driving test it must be min 595cc, 50kw, 175kgs, so something to think about when buying a bike.

colinjp wrote: »
    Hi is the 175kg min weight a wet or dry weight? ie: the weight of the bike with or without a tank of petrol ?
    For example the triumph street triple is a 675cc with 79kw but has a dry weight of 168kg and wet weight of 183kg

Thanks

Triumph speed triple is o.k. for the 'A' test.
    Have a look at the list of suitable bikes for the driving test on the RSA website.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Triumph speed triple is o.k. for the 'A' test.
    Have a look at the list of suitable bikes for the driving test on the RSA website.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/
    looked at the list and a bit confused :confused: can it be clarified for me here if I want to go on to get my full A on a Suzuki bandit 600 does the bike need to be a certain year???:confused: I had the old paper licence and was of the impression that if I had a 600 bandit and done ibt 1,3 &5 i'd be on the pigs back,clearly not it seems

• Advertisement

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    looked at the list and a bit confused :confused: can it be clarified for me here if I want to go on to get my full A on a Suzuki bandit 600 does the bike need to be a certain year???:confused: I had the old paper licence and was of the impression that if I had a 600 bandit and done ibt 1,3 &5 i'd be on the pigs back,clearly not it seems

For full 'A' you would have to have plastic card 'A', complete IBT 1,3,5. on a category 'A' Bike, them pass test on category 'A' bike.

Bandit 600 is ok for 'A2' test with restrictor & for 'A' test unrestricted.

For full 'A' you would have to have plastic card 'A', complete IBT 1,3,5. on a category 'A' Bike, them pass test on category 'A' bike.

Bandit 600 is ok for 'A2' test with restrictor & for 'A' test unrestricted.
    is there something about it not being permitted to be registered from 90-00???i'll need to get the licence renewed once ndls sort out their sh1te they are very disorganised

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    is there something about it not being permitted to be registered from 90-00???i'll need to get the licence renewed once ndls sort out their sh1te they are very disorganised

No, any Bandit 600 unrestricted is ok for full 'A' test.

No, any Bandit 600 unrestricted is ok for full 'A' test.

Thanks for your reply,will look into that,unrestricted ones are also cheaper i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Hi , im going to start the long comeback to biking but even after reading lots of pages here im slighty confused to my situation , I had a provisional license for motorbikes up to 2004 then i went back to the car and did not keep renewing bike license :( , so now im in my mid 30s and looking to get back on the bike , whats my best option for doing this ? Am i better off going straight for A learner permit and do if i get my ibt finished for A does the bike need to be restricted still for 2 years after a test? thanks in advance ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

jo06555 wrote: »
    Hi , im going to start the long comeback to biking but even after reading lots of pages here im slighty confused to my situation , I had a provisional license for motorbikes up to 2004 then i went back to the car and did not keep renewing bike license :( , so now im in my mid 30s and looking to get back on the bike , whats my best option for doing this ? Am i better off going straight for A learner permit and do if i get my ibt finished for A does the bike need to be restricted still for 2 years after a test? thanks in advance ..

Category A is unrestricted. Once you have you ibt done you can ride whatever size bike you want as long as you can insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Roadskill wrote: »
    Category A is unrestricted. Once you have you ibt done you can ride whatever size bike you want as long as you can insure it.

Ok thanks so once I do my ibt do I not need to have bike restricted? Plus Will the ibt courses for A category have many people who have not rode for a few years as I would be slighty nervous if asked to jump on high power bike i never rode before and be expected to perform ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Can anyone answer me this, I have a full A1 license since 2002, but haven't had a bike since 2004. Now I want to return to biking and get my full A. I also have a full car license since 2006. So do I need to do my theory test again? Do I need to do all modules of the IBT if I have a full A1?

Also, can I do the cat A test on a 650 Dragstar?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Can anyone answer me this, I have a full A1 license since 2002, but haven't had a bike since 2004. Now I want to return to biking and get my full A. I also have a full car license since 2006. So do I need to do my theory test again? Do I need to do all modules of the IBT if I have a full A1?

Also, can I do the cat A test on a 650 Dragstar?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

You will have to complete your full ibt for category A. You will need to get the learner permit for A then do ibt. This will allow you to ride unrestricted. The Dragstar 650 is not eligible for the A test as it must be over 595cc minimum 175kg and minimum 50 kW power.
    Once your ibt is complete you should be able to get a full A2 without doing another test as you have held a full A1 for over 2 years. You will have to be tested again for the A.

You will have to complete your full ibt for category A. You will need to get the learner permit for A then do ibt. This will allow you to ride unrestricted. The Dragstar 650 is not eligible for the A test as it must be over 595cc minimum 175kg and minimum 50 kW power.
    Once your ibt is complete you should be able to get a full A2 without doing another test as you have held a full A1 for over 2 years. You will have to be tested again for the A.

Ah ok, thank you for that answer. So once I complete my IBT they will just give me A2? What modules do I need to complete in IBT? But what I really want to know about is this theory test, do I really need to do it again if I already have an A1 and a full car license? This would save me three weeks and €45. This stuff just isn't explained properly on the website. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate it.

Ah ok, thank you for that answer. So once I complete my IBT they will just give me A2? What modules do I need to complete in IBT? But what I really want to know about is this theory test, do I really need to do it again if I already have an A1 and a full car license? This would save me three weeks and €45. This stuff just isn't explained properly on the website. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate it.
    No you shouldn't need another theory test.

Ok, that's great, thanks for your help Roadskill.

No joy. Went down to the license centre this morning, they won't let me apply for my cat A learner without doing the theory test first. I explained I had full A1 and B but no good, have to do another theory test.

/money racket.

No joy. Went down to the license centre this morning, they won't let me apply for my cat A learner without doing the theory test first. I explained I had full A1 and B but no good, have to do another theory test.

/money racket.

Get onto the RSA first and get them to check. You only need to do a theory test if you never did one before or you had to start over because your licence lapsed for too long.

Get onto the RSA first and get them to check. You only need to do a theory test if you never did one before or you had to start over because your licence lapsed for too long.

Ok, I'l give them a shout, thanks for the help.

I went into Clonmel motorcycles this morning. Man, the smell of bikes when you walk in the door was a rush of nostalgia for me, just an awesome feeling. Had a look at the Dragstars and Shadows they had there, just wanted to jump on and drive off :pac:

Gotta make this happen!

• Advertisement

Just rang the number from the RSA website there. The answer I got was, if the NDLS said I had to do the theory test again, then thats it I have to do another one. Just gonna have to suck it up and do it I guess.

Theory test passed today! Wooooo! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Good man yourself. You're on your way now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

My 3rd provisional licence is due to expire next June.
    If I have taken but not passed a test by then will I have to start from scratch again? Ie theory test and it?

My 3rd provisional licence is due to expire next June.
    If I have taken but not passed a test by then will I have to start from scratch again? Ie theory test and it?
    nope just produce the test applicantion or your most recent test result for that category

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dmeaney

What is the story with eleictic bicycles and the Irish law do they need to be under a surten power the government was road tax off me what the laws with them?? I like to make or bike a ebike that goes well over 50mpr it be handily for going to college next year like to hear comments it help a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Electric bikes usually do about 12kph - 20kph... a 50xxx petrol scooter genarally does about 40 - 50kpk...

To get 50mph you would need a large capacity scooter or a motorcycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dmeaney

See getting a scooter be to expensive and im tall 6.2 and 77kg I'm to big the bike be too slow and annoying the electronic bike I like to try it. It be only travelling 20.2km a day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

A friend of mine got the catagories of the notorbike, scooter etc. when he paid 35 euro for the trailer licence.. how did this work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

job seeker wrote: »
    A friend of mine got the catagories of the notorbike, scooter etc. when he paid 35 euro for the trailer licence.. how did this work?

When you're getting a learner permit you can just tick all the boxes you like and get learner for any A category and M.

Advertisement