Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Giants Thread

• 20-03-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

We need to get a dedicated tread going for the G-Men !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I wholeheartedly agree. Since Peyton has gone to the Broncos, I had a look at this Giants list of opponents for the next few years. The Broncos are down tentatively for the 2013 season so unless there's a repeat of Super Bowl XXI next year, we probably won't have another Manning Bowl until the 2013 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

The rumours going around were that Peyton wouldn't pick a team in the same conference as Eli so they wouldnt have to face each other during the regular season and on the off chance that they might meet in the conference championship and stop one of them getting to the Super Bowl. i still have my doubts over the long term health of Peyton so im happy with the Manning in New York !!!

It will be extremely tough to repeat new year, as the Packers have shown after nearly going 16-0. If Eli stays ELIte and Cruz can stay at the same level and we draft well, the losses of Manningham and Jacobs wont be felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

giants suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

giants suck!

Constructive

As a Giants fan i'll counter with Superbowl XLVI!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

:(

• Advertisement

Everyone seems to be mocking David Wilson to the Giants at the bottom of the 1st round. What do ye make of this? What would you do with the pick?

I'd like to take a shot on Kelechi Osemele, think he is a potential star and could have massive impact on our running game. That or take the best available D-Line player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be mocking David Wilson to the Giants at the bottom of the 1st round. What do ye make of this? What would you do with the pick?

I'd like to take a shot on Kelechi Osemele, think he is a potential star and could have massive impact on our running game. That or take the best available D-Line player.

good god how many d-linemen do ye need dont be so greedy let the rest of us have some aswell:D

nerd69 wrote: »
    good god how many d-linemen do ye need dont be so greedy let the rest of us have some aswell:D

The more the merry, also hard to know what will happen with Osi, Tollefson might not be back either. Our interior will have Marvin Austin next year which may help. If we got another edge guy we could always move Tuck inside to partner Canty/Joseph/Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Was thinking off setting up this thread.

Right, Weatherford being franchised. He is a great punter and the game he played in the Superbowl was phenomenal. Some saying he deserved MVP. Delighted to have him stay.

Martellus Bennett. Has a past of being a bit of a nut case and has had a history of injury, but I like this signing. He'll add depth to the squad and if he can stay injury free we might have a nice player on our hands.

Who do you think we should go for in the draft? I was thinking maybe Peter Konz or Stephon Gilmore?

Weatherford has signed new long term deal

giantsb_logo.gifSteve Weatherford, P, Giants. Age: 29. Re-signed with Giants (5 years, $12.75 million)

Which is great. He was fantastic last season. Agree Bennett is a good signing. 1yr deal, great potential but if he doesnt work out nothing lost. Dont mind who we draft in the 1st round as long as it isn't a running back.

• Advertisement

Eagles landed Demeco Ryans for a measly fourth round pick. What a deal.

For me Peter Konz or Luke Kuechly would be my first round pick, but i dont know how likely it is that one of them will still be around come pick 32.
    On a seperate note did i read that Kyle Orton is now with the 'boys? Or am i imagining things !!?

Yea Orton their new back-up.

No-hope Kuelchy gets anywhere near us. Cant see how he makes it past the Eagles to be honest.

Konz might but think it would be very unlikely as well.

David Carr has re-signed as backup QB for next season also

Saw this in Pats forum so decided to stick it in for Giants.

Offense
    QB: Eli Manning (nuff said), David Carr looks excellent holding a clip board

HB: Needs to be addressed in the draft (not 1st round), Bradshaw is excellent but cant stay fit an entire season. Ware & Scott are 3rd choice backs at best.

FB: Hynosarus. What a great rookie year. Pass catching FB who is good in run blocking.

WR: We prob need depth here and a mid/late round pick be no bad thing. Nicks and Cruz are stars. Jerrnigan, Barden, Hixon are not good enough to be 3rd string.

TE: Signed Martellus Bennett- Prob ok if Ballard & Beckum get back fit.

OT: Massive need and expect multiple draft choices for the O-line overall. Beatty & Brewer slated to start (shiver)

OG: Again help needed. Boothe looks capable but Diehl and Snee should be gone.

C: I'd like to draft a guy as i dont think Baas is up to it. But other needs will take priority. Boothe is a good relief as back-up centre.

Defense:
    DE: Our biggest strength but a mid/late round project player be no harm as Osi's situation is up in the Air.

DT: Doesnt really need to be addressed but never underestimate how much Coughlin loves his D-Line players.

OLB: Sigh :confused: Kiwanuka and rookie Williams both seem to be good at rushin the QB. Lost in coverage. Badly need to address he positon

MLB: Sigh :confused: Things are bad when you sign a maths teacher mid-way through the season to be your starting MLB. To be fair to Blackburn he was excellent and his pick against Brady in the supebowl was vital. Still if an upgrade is there in the draft take it.

CB: Its hard to know, depends how Thomas bounces back from injury and Amukamara progresses. I'd nearly like to see someone drafted but its not vital and its a lesser need.

S: Rolle and Phillips are liabilities but are on big contracts and will stay in place. Couple of young back-ups with potential, Tyler Sash stands out

K&P: Weatherford and Tynes are fine. Tynes is slightly hit and miss but does the job. Weatherford had a pro-bowl season and has been rewarded;

Draft Needs: (to be addressed in 1st 3 rounds)

Primary Need: O-Line, young blood is needed if only to push the guys who are there so long. A guard who has potential to play RT would be perfect.

OLB: Someone who is not totally and utterly lost in coverage would be such a novelty for the Giants.

MLB: Copy and Paste above

Obviously the Superbowl run showed what the team is capable of but only a fool would overlook the flaws exposed during the 9-7 season (6 of the wins were 4th quarter comebacks) Brandon Jacobs & Mario Manningham are the 2 big name departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I thought Hixon was showing promise before his injury last season. It could have been him and not Cruz having the breakout season last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants did very little at WR, their nursery at that position has been scary good for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As a Pats fan this post might seem quite strange for you guys. But I could never understand the Eli Manning is he/isn't he an elite quarterback debate. He might have thrown 25 interceptions in the 2010 season, but I have always regarded him as an elite quarterback. So I wasn't surprised when he confimed it against us :(. Not that the Pats helped themselves in that game. But I have always liked Manning and the cool, calm presence he projects on the field.

Personally i think the biggest problem Eli has, in regards to whether he is elite or not, is the fact he has a brother called Peyton !! I have always rated him even if the media havent. If he was just Eli Manning and didnt have a future HOF as a brother then i dont think there would be any question as to whether he is elite or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

wawaman wrote: »
    Personally i think the biggest problem Eli has, in regards to whether he is elite or not, is the fact he has a brother called Peyton !! I have always rated him even if the media havent. If he was just Eli Manning and didnt have a future HOF as a brother then i dont think there would be any question as to whether he is elite or not

Eli is elite. Any other argument is completely invalid. Archie has two sons that will be inducted into the HOF.

Yea anyone who had any doubts got their answer this season. He is one of the best. No arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Eli proved himself spectacularly right when he backed himself at the begining of the season. He is elite. That doesn't change that for alot of the previous seven seasons he verged from elite to second tier to interception machine. Only now has he really realised his potential and I'd question how anyone could have considered him elite before at least 2010 - after his first two seasons with a QB rating more than 77 - because his stats simply weren't impressive enough.

It was confirmed by the NFL on Tuesday that the G-Men will play the Cowboys in the season opener on 5 Sept. The list of opponents for the season is listed aswell athough the exact schedule has yet to be released.

They will host the Green Bay Packers and visit the 49ers in San Francisco – as they did this season.

The remainder of the Giants’ opponents is determined by the NFL’s scheduling rotation. They will, of course, play home-and-home series with NFC East foes Dallas, Philadelphia and Washington. In 2012, the NFC East will play the NFC South and the AFC North. The Giants will host New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Pittsburgh and travel to Atlanta, Carolina, Baltimore and Cincinnati.

Tough schedule to try and repeat with.

49rs away....ugh.

Brandon Jacobs has agreed a deal with the 49ers. Kind of sad to see him leave for some reason, even though he didnt start that many games over the past couple of seasons. Hope he doesnt have a good game against the Giants in Candlestick this year though!

wawaman wrote: »
    Brandon Jacobs has agreed a deal with the 49ers. Kind of sad to see him leave for some reason, even though he didnt start that many games over the past couple of seasons. Hope he doesnt have a good game against the Giants in Candlestick this year though!

Yeah gonna miss him tbh, even tho it's not a massive loss.

Lots of nws regarding the Giants today.

Possible trade with the Bengals for LB Keith Rivers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8283a18f/article/giants-in-trade-talks-with-bengals-for-lb-rivers?module=HP11_headline_stack

Jake Ballard may not play at all next year following surgery

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8283a406/article/jake-ballard-could-miss-season-more-surgery-revealed

Jonathan Goff could be on his way out as not happy with deal Giants offered him. Has visited with the Dolphins and Browns already.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/giants_free_agent_jonathan_gof.html

Back-up DE Dave Tollefson has signed for the Raiders

Personally i'm not over the moon about any of this news. If its the case that they are trading for Rivers to replace Goff then i think its a terrible idea. Goff had started to show alot of potential before missing last season and had to look that he could become the giants 1st pro-bowl backer since Antonio Pierce.

Sad for Ballard coming off a great season but its not a huge loss. Ballard is a functional receiver/blocker but he is nothing special. Can be easily replaced by Bennett/Beckum

Tollefson was a good role player and personally i liked him. His production can be easily replaced but still sad he wont be there next season.

The G Men were busy yesterday. They added Sean Locklear and also Anquain Molden aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Saw this in Pats forum so decided to stick it in for Giants.

Offense
    QB: Eli Manning (nuff said), David Carr looks excellent holding a clip board

HB: Needs to be addressed in the draft (not 1st round), Bradshaw is excellent but cant stay fit an entire season. Ware & Scott are 3rd choice backs at best.

FB: Hynosarus. What a great rookie year. Pass catching FB who is good in run blocking.

WR: We prob need depth here and a mid/late round pick be no bad thing. Nicks and Cruz are stars. Jerrnigan, Barden, Hixon are not good enough to be 3rd string.

TE: Signed Martellus Bennett- Prob ok if Ballard & Beckum get back fit.

OT: Massive need and expect multiple draft choices for the O-line overall. Beatty & Brewer slated to start (shiver)

OG: Again help needed. Boothe looks capable but Diehl and Snee should be gone.

C: I'd like to draft a guy as i dont think Baas is up to it. But other needs will take priority. Boothe is a good relief as back-up centre.

Defense:
    DE: Our biggest strength but a mid/late round project player be no harm as Osi's situation is up in the Air.

DT: Doesnt really need to be addressed but never underestimate how much Coughlin loves his D-Line players.

OLB: Sigh :confused: Kiwanuka and rookie Williams both seem to be good at rushin the QB. Lost in coverage. Badly need to address he positon

MLB: Sigh :confused: Things are bad when you sign a maths teacher mid-way through the season to be your starting MLB. To be fair to Blackburn he was excellent and his pick against Brady in the supebowl was vital. Still if an upgrade is there in the draft take it.

CB: Its hard to know, depends how Thomas bounces back from injury and Amukamara progresses. I'd nearly like to see someone drafted but its not vital and its a lesser need.

S: Rolle and Phillips are liabilities but are on big contracts and will stay in place. Couple of young back-ups with potential, Tyler Sash stands out

K&P: Weatherford and Tynes are fine. Tynes is slightly hit and miss but does the job. Weatherford had a pro-bowl season and has been rewarded;

Draft Needs: (to be addressed in 1st 3 rounds)

Primary Need: O-Line, young blood is needed if only to push the guys who are there so long. A guard who has potential to play RT would be perfect.

OLB: Someone who is not totally and utterly lost in coverage would be such a novelty for the Giants.

MLB: Copy and Paste above

Obviously the Superbowl run showed what the team is capable of but only a fool would overlook the flaws exposed during the 9-7 season (6 of the wins were 4th quarter comebacks) Brandon Jacobs & Mario Manningham are the 2 big name departures.

Personally i think Rivers' biggest problem is staying fit ...he has talent and is easily worth a fifth round pick , he has Pro-Bowl talent but has only managed a season of games in 3 years.

As to your draft expectations ,

RB - the draft is deep at this position , Martin and Miller are 2nd rounders and Polk is a 3rd rounder imo so Jerry Reese will not draft them until those spots

WR - i think a Sanu or a Toon could be a 3rd rounder for instance but the elite recievers are not that elite but the depth is good

TE- i think if Fleener is there at pick 32 , Jerry Reese will take a long hard look. Bennett is a back-up . one of the injured tight ends maybe doesnt see 2012 and the other is more of a blocker

OT - Very hard to draft for , Kalil is not a Joe Thomas, even Reilly Reiff is not a Nate Solder. Martin and Mike Adams all will give away sacks . Very hard to draft these guys . The majority figure to be busts, swing-tackles or demoted to Guards. Bob Massie should be looked at seriously with the 32nd pick or trade up in the 2nd round if still available

OG - I did a mock recently and i could see Peter Konz still available if Baltimore took Mike Adams at Tackle ...just a thought ...again trading up in the second for Osemele is an idea . Ye are scarily thin at Guard ...maybe worse than tackle

C - again a fair fall off from Konz to Jones & Brewster ...they are 3rd rounder , Baas isnt brilliant but he beats gambling with a 3rd rounder unless the guy can play the guard position

DT & DE - fair strength there and fair depth in the draft ...if a star falls to them in the draft ...maybe

Linebackers , O/M/I- this draft is funny with a lot of depth ...i like Bruce Irvin and Zach Browne ...good motors and hard workers

Secondary - Barron is the only 1st round talent and he isnt a superstar....a falling Markelle Martin in the 4th round and couple him with Sash and phase out the starters over time may be a plan. Rolle has some time left in the tank

I think Cornerback is a need. The Giants have no significant playing time from Prince N. and Thomas is coming off an injury . If Janoris Jenkins sits at the end of the first day or Stephon Gilmore , they would have to think about it (Gilmore wont , i have going to Tennessee , the Pats and the Giants if they arent scared off by the serious bad-boy behaviour would ahve to see value in trading back in to the top of the second round for Jenkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

neilster wrote: »
    Personally i think Rivers' biggest problem is staying fit ...he has talent and is easily worth a fifth round pick , he has Pro-Bowl talent but has only managed a season of games in 3 years.

As to your draft expectations ,

RB - the draft is deep at this position , Martin and Miller are 2nd rounders and Polk is a 3rd rounder imo so Jerry Reese will not draft them until those spots

WR - i think a Sanu or a Toon could be a 3rd rounder for instance but the elite recievers are not that elite but the depth is good

TE- i think if Fleener is there at pick 32 , Jerry Reese will take a long hard look. Bennett is a back-up . one of the injured tight ends maybe doesnt see 2012 and the other is more of a blocker

OT - Very hard to draft for , Kalil is not a Joe Thomas, even Reilly Reiff is not a Nate Solder. Martin and Mike Adams all will give away sacks . Very hard to draft these guys . The majority figure to be busts, swing-tackles or demoted to Guards. Bob Massie should be looked at seriously with the 32nd pick or trade up in the 2nd round if still available

OG - I did a mock recently and i could see Peter Konz still available if Baltimore took Mike Adams at Tackle ...just a thought ...again trading up in the second for Osemele is an idea . Ye are scarily thin at Guard ...maybe worse than tackle

C - again a fair fall off from Konz to Jones & Brewster ...they are 3rd rounder , Baas isnt brilliant but he beats gambling with a 3rd rounder unless the guy can play the guard position

DT & DE - fair strength there and fair depth in the draft ...if a star falls to them in the draft ...maybe

Linebackers , O/M/I- this draft is funny with a lot of depth ...i like Bruce Irvin and Zach Browne ...good motors and hard workers

Secondary - Barron is the only 1st round talent and he isnt a superstar....a falling Markelle Martin in the 4th round and couple him with Sash and phase out the starters over time may be a plan. Rolle has some time left in the tank

I think Cornerback is a need. The Giants have no significant playing time from Prince N. and Thomas is coming off an injury . If Janoris Jenkins sits at the end of the first day or Stephon Gilmore , they would have to think about it (Gilmore wont , i have going to Tennessee , the Pats and the Giants if they arent scared off by the serious bad-boy behaviour would ahve to see value in trading back in to the top of the second round for Jenkins

We are fine at CB IMO. We have TT, Prince, Tyron, Coe, Webster and now we have Molden too. That's good enough for me.

I think we have done well in FA. I think you are right about Fleener, if he's around at 32 we take him. I suspect he could be going to Cleveland at 22. Maybe Devon Still if he falls. I think we go RB in the 3rd with Pierce. After that I'm sure Reese will do BPA unless something happens with Osi this year.

• Advertisement

I agree Rivers issue is fitness thats why i dont really get it? What you read about the Goff situation? Big Blue View were saying that it was a disagreement over contract offer.

Janoris Jenkins has 3 arrests. I think its a huge risk if you draft him in the 1st with that sort of record.

Yea the Giants have came out and said Sash will have a bigger role this year which is great. Rolle is ok but not for the contract he is on.

WR is fine and i'd even wait till the 4th and try maybe get Tommy Streeter (big fan :))

I just dont see the attraction of fleener in the 1st. If you wanted a TE i'd rather take a later pick on someone like Ladarius Green who I will be a great value pick for someone.

What would you think of taking a safety in the 2nd. Brandon Taylor from LSU is a very good talent. Overshadowed by Peterson, Clairborne and the Honeybadger but could be an excellent player in his own right.

Advertisement