Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crew available / crew wanted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

That sounds really interesting.

I've been nattering on about sailing to so many people over the last year, this is the sort of thing that's needed to get a few of them to give it a go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fergal.b wrote: »

Mid-March - brrrrrrrrr! You'd need your woolly long-johns for that!

But a great opportunity for anyone looking for some offshore experience, or to build miles.

The 31.7 is a lovely boat!

If anyone out there is looking for a spot racing in Dun Laoghaire, here's a new interactive website that aims to match potential crew with boats.

www.crewzone.webs.com

It's based at the National Yacht Club, so that's where the boats will be racing out of (some NYC boats are based in the Marina though), but you DON'T have to be a member of the club to join the website. It's designed to cater for the upcoming week's DBSC racing (www.dbsc.org) mainly, so you need to update your availability regularly until you find a regular spot. Skippers who are short crew for individual days and/or longer term can refer to the site and see who's available for the following week's races.

There's also a section for the ISORA series (www.isora.org), which is 12 offshore (mostly day) races, and also includes the Dun Laoghaire - Dingle race.

You can input a "sailing CV" describing your experience and interests, and pick one or more fleets that you'd be interested in sailing in - from dinghies to the big keelboats and everything in between, from handicap classes to one-designs.

It's brand new, so hopefully the numbers of members will grow and it'll work for both boats and potential crew to get themselves sorted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

HeidiHeidi, great idea!

Just as a heads up in case you're involved with it or know someone who is, the website is being a little finiky. Stuff isn't always loading and I'm getting a lot of error messages, with some saying the pages don't exist. Don't know if it's just me though.

ETA: Having trouble registering, too. Apparently I was sent a confirmation email but there's no sign of it in my inbox, spam or anywhere else. :(

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi, great idea!

Just as a heads up in case you're involved with it or know someone who is, the website is being a little finiky. Stuff isn't always loading and I'm getting a lot of error messages, with some saying the pages don't exist. Don't know if it's just me though.

ETA: Having trouble registering, too. Apparently I was sent a confirmation email but there's no sign of it in my inbox, spam or anywhere else. :(

Thanks for the feedback!

Stuff takes some time to actually register and load and show up - it took a while for my confirmation email to come as well, and our ad for crew about an hour to be visible. I'll pass your comments on to the organisers - they're not web designers and stressed that at the time! Hopefully any initial glitches will be ironed out and won't put people off registering....

If anyone else has problems with it feel free to post here and I'll pass the comments on to the guys running it :) (hope that's ok with the mods, let me know if not!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback!

Stuff takes some time to actually register and load and show up - it took a while for my confirmation email to come as well, and our ad for crew about an hour to be visible. I'll pass your comments on to the organisers - they're not web designers and stressed that at the time! Hopefully any initial glitches will be ironed out and won't put people off registering....

If anyone else has problems with it feel free to post here and I'll pass the comments on to the guys running it :) (hope that's ok with the mods, let me know if not!)

Thanks, the confirmation email has literally just come through :) It's in early days still, glitches like slow loading are par for the course so nothing but credit to the people organising it for stepping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

Pretty good idea, although I always liked reading peoples messages on this thread for some weird reason :D.

alph wrote: »
    Pretty good idea, although I always liked reading peoples messages on this thread for some weird reason :D.
    Oh golly, it wasn't intended to replace this thread, or any other noticeboard for that matter :eek:

Just seemed like a good place to make people aware of the website if they fancied using it (and if DL suits them for sailing, of course).

I love reading the posts on here as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Hi folks

I'm interested in crewing for sailing , How do i put my name forward for available boats in the south east ?

cheers

Brian

• Advertisement

figs666 wrote: »
    Hi folks

I'm interested in crewing for sailing , How do i put my name forward for available boats in the south east ?

cheers

Brian

I'm not sure how active this thread is as a source of boats for sailing... I think I've seen one, maybe two matches made on it - but maybe there's more contacts being made by PM, I couldn't say.

I'm not at all familiar with the sailing scene in the SE, but you should maybe get in touch with any sailing clubs near you or within travelling distance for you, and there's bound to be a noticeboard or some means of putting your name out there as available.

One thing is for sure, where there's racing (I'm presuming you're interested in racing), there's always boats looking for crew. It's just a matter of trying to get in contact with them!

ETA - just remembered this section on the ISA website http://www.sailing.ie/Racing/CrewAvailableWanted.aspx - we got a guy from an ad there who crewed with us for a few years - you might be lucky and find someone in your neck of the woods.

ETA again - have just looked at that properly, doesn't seem to be very active at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Hi Guys,

Looking to get involved in some racing over the summer.

Have experience on 1720's, squibs and J80's but a bit rusty.

Interested in anything from dinghy to larger keel boat and I am based beside Dún Laoghaire so naturally that would suit best.

Eager to get stuck in and commit.

I know a guy looking for someone to crew with him on a squib on Saturdays out of the NYC, if that's of any interest to you? He's a very good sailor and quite competitive.

You can PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with him.

I'll also use this opportunity to plug the website crewzone.webs.com, which has some ads for boats looking for crew, and you can advertise your own availability as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

@ Running Bing

We are a new boat and crew sailing out of Dun Laoghaire, Beneteau First 34.7.

Looking for crew for this Saturday if you are interested.

I have pm'd contact info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Higgy12

We're looking for a crew member for club racing. We sail from Malahide YC through out the summer. Some experience would be good.

Higgy12 wrote: »
    We're looking for a crew member for club racing. We sail from Malahide YC through out the summer. Some experience would be good.

Size of boat/crew? Position(s) on offer? Days/times you race?

I won't be applying for the job! But these bits of info may help people if they're interested.

Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

hey ya tigger maes ere I am doing my competent crew with eddie English this weekend I am looking to crew on boats im based in Killarney co Kerry so I would be looking at Kerry cork limerick Waterford area any body have any ideas of how to get into crewing cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Competent crew member from Kinsale looking to help with yacht deliveries.

Please message me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrmacg

Hi All,
    New to this boards.ie world finding it a very interesting read indeed,

I'm looking to get into sailing, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't the first clue how to start,

I've been a passenger on a 31.7 and a j109 and find the sport a wonderful experience, and would be very appreciative for some guidance

Thanks

Mac

mrmacg wrote: »
    Hi All,
    New to this boards.ie world finding it a very interesting read indeed,

I'm looking to get into sailing, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't the first clue how to start,

I've been a passenger on a 31.7 and a j109 and find the sport a wonderful experience, and would be very appreciative for some guidance

Thanks

Mac

First question - do you want to race or cruise or both? People who do one tend not to do the other (a very general rule, with lots of exceptions!)

Second - when you say you were a passenger - did you do anything at all? If you don't have the first clue about sailing, then I'd recommend a basic dinghy/sportsboat course - there's any amount of them around, over weekends or evenings, and they'll teach you the basics so that you know your way around a boat. You can also often make contacts through these courses that might get you out sailing.

Thirdly - where are you based? I'm familiar with Dun Laoghaire, I know there are others here who are based elsewhere. If you say where you are / where you want to sail, someone might know someone.

If you're interested in racing, there's always demand for reliable crew - not necessarily hugely experienced, but you need to turn up when you say you will! - for weekly racing. It's just a matter of getting a toe in the door.

Stheno on here is going great guns, having sailed for the first time recently in Howth http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056943426

Anyway, give us a bit more details about yourself and what it is you want to do, and we'll do our best to help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mrmacg

Thanks H for the quick reply

Answer to (i) I'd like to race if at all possible ( I have a few pals who race 31.7's and I believe that they are very good, so I'm a bit apprehensive about asking them to show the the ropes as I do not want get in their way )

(ii)I did nothing, went out to see the tall ships and sail along with them, it was very just leisurely, not knowing what to do I just took in the sight

(iii) I'm out in Castleknock so either Howth or DL would be perfect

27 Relatively fit, and def enthusiastic with a appetite to learn, I've a more hands on approach, I retain information by doing rather than being taught in a classroom, very willing to learn and reliable showing up to what I promise

Answer to (i) I'd like to race if at all possible ( I have a few pals who race 31.7's and I believe that they are very good, so I'm a bit apprehensive about asking them to show the the ropes as I do not want get in their way )

We were actually talking about this a couple of weeks ago in the yacht club. Good reliable crew are worth their weight in gold. Doesn't matter if they can't sail - skills can be learned - but if they turn up on time and consistently... That's valuable.

Ask your friends, a 31.7 is big enough to bring you along and let you get familiar with what's going on. Aside from that, get into a dinghy and have a few lessons.

You should book yourself onto a basic Level 1 sailing course then. There's little if any classroom work - you'll do all your learning on the water - and you'll know your way around a boat, which makes you much more attractive as a crew prospect. There's a million particular names for things that will be shouted (nicely, hopefully!) at you, and if you don't know the terminology you're hobbled from the start.

The INSC in Dun Laoghaire are great - I did lots of evenings and bits and pieces with them years ago, and a girl who has just started crewing with us did a basic weekend course with them recently and was delighted with it. I also have a pal who does racing-orientated crew courses in his own boat (Beneteau 21.1, so small enough to get a real feel of what's going on) - he's based in Dun Laoghaire Marina. The NYC in DL is running a four-week adult sail training course soon - they use Topper dingies (gets you right down to water level, you'll learn loads!) and 1720 sportsboats (smallish keelboats). Wednesdays and Fridays for four weeks, something over 200 quid all in.

Those are just ones I know of, there's loads and loads of courses out there. PM me if you want any more details - I don't want to be plugging things just because I know about them!

And yes, get out on your pal's boat. 31.7's are very competitive - I crewed on one last season, and had a ball, it was very hard work! - but there's room to keep out of the way and get an idea of what's involved in racing, as Miss No Stars says. But you'll never learn about sailing by racing. There's just no time to explain what's going on and why, you just wind up doing what you're told (probably very efficiently) with no real idea of the theory behind it - especially on a bigger boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

I started sailing just under two years ago. I did a adult sailing course in Howth, and got crewing there. After that I figured DL was a lot closer to me, and found another sailing course, again ran by one of the clubs.

The clubs tend to run courses because its a good way to introduce people to the club, and they tend to do them at very good prices. Howth and most of the DL clubs do similar style courses. Email them and ask, and they will point you to these course. If you have friends in one club, go with that.

In the current club I'm in in DL, I was asked to go along to a race night by one of the boats, and because I showed up on time, week after week, they didn't let me go and I ended up learning more from those guys then I did from any course.

I have since completed and the comp crew and day skipper course. If you do crewing, learn knots and get involved on the boat, the comp crew is probably a waste, and you are better just moving on to the day skipper. If you get that, you can rent a boat in the Med!

I've heard that learning to sail in a dinghy is highly recommended, but this is not something I have done. It can be good to do, without a doubt, but isn't necessary at all. What is very necessary is to get on boats, and jump in with two feet. Learn how to stay out of the way, and on the boat! Learn what is going on, the rules of the races, the basics of trimming a sail, the aerodynamics of the boat, and enjoy yourself.

31.7s have a good fleet I believe, and I would also recommend cruiser 3. The boats are small, so you will be forced to participate. They also act like dinghys as they are so light. You can even do roll tacks! Either way, jump in and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 random_punter_2

Hi All,

I recently bought a 30 foot sailing cruiser and the person who was going to help me sail it back has let me down so I'm looking for an experienced sailer to help me sail it from Southampton to Greystones as soon as possible. If you've done it before, or know some who has please let me know. We can come to some sort of arrangement with the costs and travel. I'm easy going and pretty flexible when it comes to the details. I'm an RYA day skipper myself but this will be the longest leg that I've ever sailed so someone who is comfortable plotting a safe course would would come in very handy on a trip like this. The journey would be a lot of fun if the recent weather holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Hi All,

I recently bought a 30 foot sailing cruiser and the person who was going to help me sail it back has let me down so I'm looking for an experienced sailer to help me sail it from Southampton to Greystones as soon as possible. If you've done it before, or know some who has please let me know. We can come to some sort of arrangement with the costs and travel. I'm easy going and pretty flexible when it comes to the details. I'm an RYA day skipper myself but this will be the longest leg that I've ever sailed so someone who is comfortable plotting a safe course would would come in very handy on a trip like this. The journey would be a lot of fun if the recent weather holds.

talk to:
    -The manager of the commercial pier Crosshaven - i did crosshaven to cowes with him - he is the man ur lookig for -qual skipper - memeber of rnli -top lad -think his name is kieran - dont get a cowboy to help you!!!-
    -James Lyons Soverign sailing Kinsale - will prob help woth crew - he trains yachtmasters offshore courses
    -Victor Fusco Kinsale outdoor education center -he might know some students to help you
    if your boat is seworthy with proper tech gadgets - and u get a skipper/ qualified offshore yachtmaster ill go as watch or deckhand for 150 per day plus tarvel/food accommodation expenses. Cant see a professional doing for less that 200 a day plus expenses

Personally id buy a boat in Crossshaven and sale it up if its only worth under 15k.

Best of luck - safe travelling

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

(ii)I did nothing, went out to see the tall ships and sail along with them, it was very just leisurely, not knowing what to do I just took in the sight

(iii) I'm out in Castleknock so either Howth or DL would be perfect

27 Relatively fit, and def enthusiastic with a appetite to learn, I've a more hands on approach, I retain information by doing rather than being taught in a classroom, very willing to learn and reliable showing up to what I promise

Hey mrmacg :)

Howth are just starting their second block of adult training this Thursday 18th July, it's different courses aimed at different levels, on J80s which are fun and fast boats. Part of the objective is to encourage people to get involved in crewing

You can email coaching@hyc.ie for details, as Heidi said, I've recently started (two months ago now!) and am really enjoying it, started with no experience crewing on a whitesails boat in Howth, and as miss no stars has said, the fact I turned up week in week out seems to have stood to me, I've learned loads, and in that few weeks have gone from hopping from one side of the boat to the other, to actually playing a part really contributing to sailing the boat.

I've done the start sailing and introduction to sailing courses myself, and am hoping to start basic skills this week, and would definitely recommend them as if you want to race, even on slower boats, you'll not learn much, it's a completely different language :) On both the courses I've done so far, it's maybe 10/20% theory and then 80% practical, so you can really apply what you learn given how you learn.

I've found especially since doing start sailing, and probably coupled with the fact I show up as much as I do, that I now feel comfortable (to an extent) taking a small part in discussing what we are going to do as a group, rather than being a passenger. It really is tremendous fun :) even when you are being slagged off for getting something you have learned wrong (I decided to move clocks 180 degrees last week, and announced a mark ahead was at six rather than 12 o'clock) much to the mirth of my fellow crew/skipper :D Racing is a great way to learn the rules and how they work if you hook up with a good crew/skipper.

If you want any details on the courses, send me a pm, I'm not even a member of Howth, but can be out there three times a week at the moment!

P.s. in relation to courses on dinghies or bigger boats, I did both my first two courses on dinghies, and found it really gave me a great perspective that applied just as well to the cruiser I race on :)

And p.s. 2: If you are racing, there will inevitably be some shouting, when you get caught in ropes, something gets stuck, the **** just hits the fan, or there is an argument about boats. At first it's a bit freaky, but unless you are with an ass of a crew/skipper, it's never ever personal, I nearly died the first time I a. had an accident and ended up with rope for the jib wrapped around my knee preventing a tack, and the roaring, and b. was involved in other boats all jostling for position and the yelling that went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hi,

I am looking for someone to provide on boat training on an Marieholm 25 on a paid basis.

Please PM to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

@Stheno: sounds like you're getting on well. you gonna head out during the week to watch the J24 worlds ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

alph wrote: »
    @Stheno: sounds like you're getting on well. you gonna head out during the week to watch the J24 worlds ?

YUP, hoping to get out at least one of the days :) It's been fun watching all the prep this week!

Advertisement