Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One Night Stand Debacle

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I think it sounds like she likes you but she is keeping her options open because she isnt mad about you.

This way she can still see you now and again and have sex with you while she is at a loose end or no one else is showing interest, but if she gets a better offer she can let you go easily as she isnt properly attached to you.

This means nothing but headwreck for you - these scenarios dont work when one person is really into the other.

So for your own sake I would say to leave it now and dont get into a casual situation with her.

You are coming across as quite intense for a ONS - but fair enough you liked her and had a great time, shame it wasnt reciprocated from her side but such is life, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

You're completely overthinking this.

You had a one night stand. You then managed to write a nearly 1500 word essay about it. For most people, a ONS is meant to be quick - spontaneous - casual - fun - and usually they move on from it fairly quickly.

By your own admission, you don't do one night stands normally - you seem to have more form for ongoing relationships of sorts, be they casual or longterm. And by your previous posts, you also seem to fixate on the subject of your desires and seem unable to comprehend or accept that they may not want the same thing as you.

Put these together and it's not hard to see why you are failing to grasp that a one night stand is just that for this girl. You don't know her past, you don't know where she is emotionally at this stage in her life, and you have to accept that no matter how you may feel about things, she's not looking for anything more at the moment. Some of those replies you sent her made me cringe, passively aggressively insinuating some kind of perceived slight on your part - she was upfront and honest with you, at least have the decency to respect the fact that she never led you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

She's told you in many ways that she's not interested. Instead of accepting it you have been passive aggressive and obsessive. No one owes you their time or their body, just because you had great sex.

However I do think you've shown more awareness than previous posts you had. Keep working on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

You had a great time and I would leave it at that. She wont change her mind...if you will see her again, one of your will be getting hurt and it wont be her. Move on...she's obviously getting over someone herself (or some other issues). There are so many other great women out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rondog

OP ,i would keep nailing that and keep teh pipes clean.Keep it FWB.

While tapping that you could be on the look out for someone else who may want you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    For me right now it's an infatuation that I'd like to build on, but seems she doesn't think the same way as I do. I dunno, I'll see where it goes I suppose. Ta everyone for the replies so far.

This is the bit that jumps out at me OP. This infatuation you have with this woman. It seems you’ve built up this thing up in your head to something that isn’t real. Infatuations aren’t healthy. You might like to build on it, but she doesn’t. And she’s been very clear about that. You had a great time, but she’s been honest with you about what she wants. You need to accept that and move on, FWB doesn’t work when one person has feelings for the other, trust me I know. It’ll only hurt you more in the long run. Don’t be the guy that hangs around secretly hoping she’ll change her mind, you could miss out on so many other women better suited to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

You had sex. You had a good time. But she doesn’t want it to become anything else.

It’s not a debacle, she didn’t string you along, she was clear with you about what she did - and did not - want.

You seem to think that it would ‘all be ok if only she realised’. Or that she’s somehow wronged you. Those are both very unattractive traits. Especially the latter. She’s done nothing wrong. You had sex, you hung out a bit, and she decided she didn’t want any more. Accept that. Like really ACCEPT THAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

qwerty13 wrote: »
    You had sex. You had a good time. But she doesn’t want it to become anything else.

It’s not a debacle, she didn’t string you along, she was clear with you about what she did - and did not - want.

You seem to think that it would ‘all be ok if only she realised’. Or that she’s somehow wronged you. Those are both very unattractive traits. Especially the latter. She’s done nothing wrong. You had sex, you hung out a bit, and she decided she didn’t want any more. Accept that. Like really ACCEPT THAT.

This x 1000

Just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This is really straightforward, but also really human so I don't judge you OP.

You hadn't had sex in three years. Then this girl came along and you had a great night. So now, you've got all these hormones running around your head like this woman is the saviour of your sex life and, without her, it'll be another three years and all the loneliness and bad feelings will return. That's making you desperate and clingy when you really have no right to be. You don't know this person that well TO be infatuated with them. So what you're infatuated with is really just a projection you're putting onto this woman of who she is and a potential future together that's happening completely in your head but isn't real.

Try take a step back and view this situation as a passenger. What I'm saying makes a ton of sense if you're honest with yourself, right?

So, instead of viewing things that way, view it this way: things are looking up. There's obviously a reason this girl you like wanted to have sex with you and all of the nice afters you had when you woke up the next day. She's probably being truthful when she says she's not in the headspace for a relationship, so that's not even a reflection or rejection of you. Soooo you're obviously doing something, maybe without even realising it, that's making you more attractive to women than you had been in the previous three years. Which means there's absolutely no reason to think that this can't happen again with someone else and hopefully they'll be interested in a relationship!

Here's the only slight flip side: you've GOT to go to counselling and deal with this obsessive side of your personality. PI has been screaming at you about it for years, it's time to acknowledge (from a position of strength as a person who's just got the ride) that it's there and that letting it fester DOES run the risk of it derailing any potential future relationships or happiness you have. What WON'T happen in counselling, especially if you get the right counsellor, is that someone will say "Everything is all your fault!" So don't fear it. What WILL happen is that you'll get someone compassionate, who's on your side, who'll hear you out and help you figure out for yourself where this came from and how to develop different ways of dealing with things in order to enable you to build a happy future for yourself when the right person come along.

Trust us on this and I guarantee that, in time, you'll be walking around like a king with the world dancing to your beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

leggo wrote: »
    Here's the only slight flip side: you've GOT to go to counselling and deal with this obsessive side of your personality. PI has been screaming at you about it for years, it's time to acknowledge (from a position of strength as a person who's just got the ride) that it's there and that letting it fester DOES run the risk of it derailing any potential future relationships or happiness you have. What WON'T happen in counselling, especially if you get the right counsellor, is that someone will say "Everything is all your fault!" So don't fear it. What WILL happen is that you'll get someone compassionate, who's on your side, who'll hear you out and help you figure out for yourself where this came from and how to develop different ways of dealing with things in order to enable you to build a happy future for yourself when the right person come along.

Trust us on this and I guarantee that, in time, you'll be walking around like a king with the world dancing to your beat.

Please read this OP and then make a phone call and book an appointment. Sounds to me like you have a lot to give, but anyone with a moderate level of EQ or experience in relationships can sense obsessive behaviour very easily. Sorting this out will free you up and open up your options, it's a win win. Good luck, be honest with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Op, if you really like her, then fight for her. Don't let her go!

This is nonsense advice. The girl has told him clearly she's not interested. He needs to respect that and also listen to the absolute piles of advice he's been givenover the years about dealing with his fixation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Op, if you really like her, then fight for her. Don't let her go!

Why fight for someone who doesn't want you though?

I'm not aware of the OP's other posts as mentioned by others in the thread but from what I read in this thread alone it seems like a really bad idea for him to pursue someone who has politely made fairly clear that they aren't interested in a relationship. Seems like needlessly torturing yourself to continue to on in those circumstances.

OP, take heart, you had a good time with someone who had a good time with you. That is a success. It sucks that ye aren't on the same page now but for your own sake, and to respect her wishes chalk it up as a good experience and move on. You also know that you are attractive enough to have someone you obviously found attractive sleep with you. That's good and means you can find someone who will want you for you for good.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

If you have it in the back of your mind that you're interested in a serious relationship I'd say goodbye. Let her know that's how you feel and say good luck. Don't plead. She might realise what she is missing. If she doesn't want that at all, she'll let you know. You are losing out the option of a FWB by doing that but I think that is for the best. The FWB would be great if you know you will always be able to walk away at any time she decides that the FWB is done. You need to be able to detach emotionally. Maybe I am wrong (and ignore this if I am) but from reading your post I don't think you are in that frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joeninety90

Keep cool man. You'll scare her off. A shag here and there isn't the worst thing in the world. Also it's not like you met her in a church.

This is good advice. Keep it cool. When I met my other half (we together now over 18 months and madly in love) she told me the first night she didn't want a relationship. We both saw other people on and off and would hook up occasionally but eventually we realised we had deep feelings for each other. So you just never know.

Stay chilled - tell her that's no problem and let's just hand out again some time soon because you both had a good laugh. And then go with the flow.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its not a debacle. it was a one off good time.
    as others have said you are overthinking this.
    speak to someobe about why you do this. it might help with relationships in future.
    take care

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

As the OP hasn't posted here in over a month, I'll lock this thread now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement