Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Natural Roof Slates

Options
  • 21-06-2019 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

Is it normal practice to use an adhesive along with copper nails for natural roof slates ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

No there should not really be a need .
    Some cases might require repair or around a vlux window for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 porrige

ZX7R wrote: »
    No there should not really be a need .
    Some cases might require repair or around a vlux window for example.

Interesting, our roofers used it extensively on our new build. Wonder what the possible reasons could be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

porrige wrote: »
    Interesting, our roofers used it extensively on our new build. Wonder what the possible reasons could be ?

Define extensively

Define extensively

On most slates I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not trying to be smart are you sure it's natural slate and not a man made composite made to look like natural slate

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart are you sure it's natural slate and not a man made composite made to look like natural slate

Definitely Spanish Natural Slates

Definitely Spanish Natural Slates

It was a silicone product they used with the slates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

On most slates I think

surely not.

why would they do that , it must have added a hige cost to the job. you would be doing well to stick 20 slates with a small blob of silicone per tube. if the roof has 4000 slates that would be 200 tubes and at 10 euro a tube for example thats 2000 euro

silicone is often used on cut slates or around vents etc

i dont think anyone is that daft. althow last week i fixed a broken slate on a job and all the new quarry slates were put on with clips and no nails. the entire roof

surely not.

why would they do that , it must have added a hige cost to the job. you would be doing well to stick 20 slates with a small blob of silicone per tube. if the roof has 4000 slates that would be 200 tubes and at 10 euro a tube for example thats 2000 euro

silicone is often used on cut slates or around vents etc

i dont think anyone is that daft. althow last week i fixed a broken slate on a job and all the new quarry slates were put on with clips and no nails. the entire roof

Ok. Thanks. The cost high, but silicone not listed. What I’m more interested in is if it would be standard procedure or if there is a technical advantage/disadvantage to using silicone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ok. Thanks. The cost high, but silicone not listed. What I’m more interested in is if it would be standard procedure or if there is a technical advantage/disadvantage to using silicone ?

This might shed some light...

http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips49.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Dud they use clips at the end of the slate ? did they use the silicone instead of clips

Advertisement