Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rejected - What Now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

banie01 wrote: »
    This quite true.
    Many of the Course Directors I've encountered have very poor actual interview skills.
    Learning a little about what they may be after, either by attending a Mature student open night or at a push, an email to the course director before the interview to ask a few pertinent questions could be a way to both gain some insight into what they want, and leave a good impression.

Hey Brown nosing never hurt anyone. Go to the open day maybe twice a year. You find your course director and Mature Student Officer. Press the flesh. Talk to them, get the email, follow up. Make sure they know you before you apply for interview. GET HELP from career guidance particularly the statement. I told my career Guidance officer that she was wasted writing my college statement and should be writing dating profiles for lads straight out of Mount Joy. I used "Simon Sinek, Why?" on youtube.

The last interview I had I looked up the papers what my interviewer had written but closed down the questioning by admitting I didnt read them so I didnt look like a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hey I am someone who has been through the educational wringer and know were all the pitfalls and death traps are. I am not the prophet of false hope.

I hate leading people on with false hope. If there are only 4 places for matures and there are students coming out of St John, PLCs, College of Comm and repeat leavings who have invested 2 years in study and the University has a history of taking students from these courses. They are entitled to those places first if the university thinks so. Its not me you have to impress its them.

The OP came here looking for advice about where to go next. They are obviously very disappointed so I don't see the necessity of sticking the boot in by accusing them of having a sense of entitlement that only you can see in your head.

Like I said, the OP needs to get proper feedback from the college (which may be difficult) and work on where they see his/her application needing bolstering. The OP has identified the D in maths as an issue the college have raised, so it may be that the best course of action will be to sit LC maths again, if they have their heart set on UCC. What's worse is that even after that, that doesn't even guarantee entry, we all know that.

A lot of us have been through the wringer when it comes to education with lots of setbacks along the way. Those that have experienced the genuine disappointment that the OP is feeling can have some empathy for their situation without giving false hope or sugar coating the reality, which I haven't seen any of here btw.

Your post though was you needlessly being a dick and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You have a much better chance getting into a third level course if youve a a related QQI level 5 or 6 under your belt.
    Another option is to complete an apprenticeship, you'll be working and earning money. A degree isnt worth much anymore and most employers require a masters and a recommendation from someone they know.

There's a massive shortage of trained programmers. I can't imagine there's too many data analysts floating about either, and it's a growing field.

Between my years of experience as a full stack developer (albeit a junior one) and the degree, I'm sure I'll be fine.

And it's not like I'm against doing a masters anyway.
    I don't know the extent of your experience of programming but if it is strong enough maybe you could get a RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) and have a look at some Springboard courses which can be 1 or 2 year.
    A lot of them will be just getting approval now so will be starting to accept applications.

There are an awful lot of Data Science courses being offered through Springboard.

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/7392
    This course may be a good back up and get you on the right path. Particularly if there is a question over your mathematical ability.

I actually tried to gain entry into the Data Science Springboard in CIT last year, but they were quite adamant about needing a 4 year degree.
    Again, it's a thing I could've completed without too much trouble but I didn't fit the criteria.

I might get some RPL scattered about a CS degree, but it'd be a long way from enough for the whole course.
    Augeo wrote: »

If you've no qualifications beyond the LC did you previously do a 3rd level spell that didn't go as planned or did you never go near 3rd level.

As someone else had mentioned you are up against folk who have spent a couple of years putting themselves back on the academic path.

I would've addressed this in my Personal Statement so they'd be aware.
    I went for a Electronic Eng course in CIT (I needed the C3 in maths to get into UCC, which I missed by 1 bloody %), but I wasn't ready to study out of school.
    It's something that I'm annoyed with both at myself and the school that this wasn't recognised.

Then I stupidly went for an Arts degree because I thought I needed something, and hated it, and chucked it after the end of 2nd year.

Just to be clear on the maths thing, I never had any trouble with anything in maths. Every time we covered a new topic, I generally found it a breeze. It was just that I never studied when I was 17/18 and it's hard to remember the entire maths syllabus even if you're pretty good at it. I really regret not getting grinds throughout 5th and 6th year, because that would've kept me working at it constantly. I can say without any hint of arrogance that I should've been getting an A in maths and it was a massive failure that I did as badly as I did.

It's something I'm aware of about myself now. I've learned how I need to structure my study/work to get it done, but I didn't have a notion when I was a teenager.

Like I said, the OP needs to get proper feedback from the college (which may be difficult) and work on where they see his/her application needing bolstering. The OP has identified the D in maths as an issue the college have raised, so it may be that the best course of action will be to sit LC maths again, if they have their heart set on UCC. What's worse is that even after that, that doesn't even guarantee entry, we all know that.

Appreciate the post.

On this, I've contacted both Admissions and the Mature Student Office, with as much detail and magnanimity as I can muster. Unfortunately, with the bank holiday, and generally it being the time where staff tend to take time off, I'm yet to hear much back from them (although to be fair, the Mature Student Office said they'd be working on it, just that they weren't there until the end of the week).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Gbear wrote: »
    I actually tried to gain entry into the Data Science Springboard in CIT last year, but they were quite adamant about needing a 4 year degree.
    Again, it's a thing I could've completed without too much trouble but I didn't fit the criteria.

I might get some RPL scattered about a CS degree, but it'd be a long way from enough for the whole course.

The courses I listed are level 7s.
    They won't require a degree and they explicitly say they are open to RPLs
    They would certainly open the door for a level 8.

• Advertisement

The OP came here looking for advice about where to go next. They are obviously very disappointed so I don't see the necessity of sticking the boot in by accusing them of having a sense of entitlement that only you can see in your head.

A lot of us have been through the wringer when it comes to education with lots of setbacks along the way. Those that have experienced the genuine disappointment that the OP is feeling can have some empathy for their situation without giving false hope or sugar coating the reality, which I haven't seen any of here btw.

Your post though was you needlessly being a dick and you know it.

That is entitlement is you only applied for one course, had pinned all your hopes on one course and looked to the lecturers like you had no ground work done. The College wont give feedback be cause that might be grounds for discrimination.

Whether I am a dick is besides the point. It annoys me when lads just assume there are places there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, obviously the OP is skipping the due process of preparing for entry. There is no mention of any preparation or progression of education. That looks really bad.

I experience disappointment too. I interviewed 5 times this year for 5 places, 2 that I didnt want said yes. One I wanted said yes and the two I really wanted said No. That's life. I am not crying about it I am getting on with what I have to do and reapply next year.

Appreciate the post.

On this, I've contacted both Admissions and the Mature Student Office, with as much detail and magnanimity as I can muster. Unfortunately, with the bank holiday, and generally it being the time where staff tend to take time off, I'm yet to hear much back from them (although to be fair, the Mature Student Office said they'd be working on it, just that they weren't there until the end of the week).

You didnt?!?!?!?! That really looks bad. You would have been better off going to an Adult Education Officer in the VEC and ask them. That makes you look whingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

It's strange that you couldn't get into CIT data science. I'm about the same age as you and I had no trouble getting onto the course via Springboard. Also got a D in honours maths, and I only have a three year degree. But I don't think they even asked for my LC results. However I have a feeling that "relevant work experience" got me the place.

It was a tough enough course, good few people dropped out towards the end.

Did you put much effort into your cover letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow you just think you can walk on the course without education since you were 18, 10 years ago and when you were there you didnt deliver the goods. WOW that is entitlement.

Buddy it will take you a year to get you into the frame of mind for you to compete with 18 year old who has gotten about 400 point leaving cert. Maths has changed, the maths syllabus has changed. #1 is no longer a prime number btw. Simpsons rule is gone. Massive focus on money and finance.

Seriously dude, who thought it was a good idea to interview you? You need to at least do a PLC and/or spend 2 years resitting your leaving cert before you will be taken seriously. You wont last until christmas without a sound education on that course. There are assignments, honours maths and some fairly serious data structures to learn. You will have wasted a year and someone more deserving could have a place on the course. Pick yourself up dust yourself off and seriously have a look at repeating your leaving cert again so you will be taken seriously.

Walk into near any college class in the country and you'll find the mature students are top of the bunch.
    Simple fact is you've more to lose at 29 than 19.

A 19 fails the year, so what, just repeat. A 29 year old doesn't have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow you just think you can walk on the course without education since you were 18, 10 years ago and when you were there you didnt deliver the goods. WOW that is entitlement.

Buddy it will take you a year to get you into the frame of mind for you to compete with 18 year old who has gotten about 400 point leaving cert. Maths has changed, the maths syllabus has changed. #1 is no longer a prime number btw. Simpsons rule is gone. Massive focus on money and finance.

Seriously dude, who thought it was a good idea to interview you? You need to at least do a PLC and/or spend 2 years resitting your leaving cert before you will be taken seriously. You wont last until christmas without a sound education on that course. There are assignments, honours maths and some fairly serious data structures to learn. You will have wasted a year and someone more deserving could have a place on the course. Pick yourself up dust yourself off and seriously have a look at repeating your leaving cert again so you will be taken seriously.

Lose the attitude please and thanks. The OP is trying to better themselves and shouldn't be berated by you for doing so.
    Who do you think you are, attempting to put them in their place for not doing well in an exam when they were 18, ten years ago. You've no idea what they are or aren't capable of now.

To give you some perspective, I dropped out of school at 15 so didn't even have a D in lower LC maths. I applied to do an undergrad in Electronic Engineering (very maths heavy if you must know). Not only did I complete it but I did so with an average of above 90 across every exam. Only a few years later I'm running a very successful engineering team in a large multi-national.

If I'm able achieve that, anyone can. I'm not brighter, nor smarter than anyone else and people in my situation (like the OP) can piss all over the academic achievements of those hyper smart 18 year olds because we know what we want, we're doing a specific course for a specific reason and we've lived life and will be spending a lot of the college experience in the library not the pub. The first few months of college for a mature student without the academic background is tough work but once semester one is over, everyone is typically at the same level.

There is a standard route to education but it's not the only route and one of the great things about the Irish system is that there are paths to enable those who weren't able to do it first time around. That should be celebrated.

OP, look at the mature student access routes, reach out to the universities to see what you need to do in the next few months in order to improve your chances and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let's keep any replies helpful.

What's done is done. Unless you have suggestions to help the OP, please keep your thoughts to yourself. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

There's a massive shortage of trained programmers. I can't imagine there's too many data analysts floating about either, and it's a growing field.

Between my years of experience as a full stack developer (albeit a junior one) and the degree, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Then go for it :)

Walk into near any college class in the country and you'll find the mature students are top of the bunch.
    Simple fact is you've more to lose at 29 than 19.

A 19 fails the year, so what, just repeat. A 29 year old doesn't have that option.

I am not saying anything bad about the mature students. Its the approach that is taken. All the mature students I know have either come up through the ETB's (old VECs), PLCs and the repeat Leaving certs. One guy I know has come up from a Level three to doing Honours Maths and has a provisional offer of Astrophysics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

With no academic experience and limited places your chances of getting into UCC were slim to begin with.
    But If you have relevant work experience you will walk into any IT course no problem or maybe try UL as I've found them very helpful with my own inquiries in the past.

KeithTS wrote: »
    Lose the attitude please and thanks. The OP is trying to better themselves and shouldn't be berated by you for doing so.
    Who do you think you are, attempting to put them in their place for not doing well in an exam when they were 18, ten years ago. You've no idea what they are or aren't capable of now.

To give you some perspective, I dropped out of school at 15 so didn't even have a D in lower LC maths. I applied to do an undergrad in Electronic Engineering (very maths heavy if you must know). Not only did I complete it but I did so with an average of above 90 across every exam. Only a few years later I'm running a very successful engineering team in a large multi-national.

If I'm able achieve that, anyone can. I'm not brighter, nor smarter than anyone else and people in my situation (like the OP) can piss all over the academic achievements of those hyper smart 18 year olds because we know what we want, we're doing a specific course for a specific reason and we've lived life and will be spending a lot of the college experience in the library not the pub. The first few months of college for a mature student without the academic background is tough work but once semester one is over, everyone is typically at the same level.

There is a standard route to education but it's not the only route and one of the great things about the Irish system is that there are paths to enable those who weren't able to do it first time around. That should be celebrated.

OP, look at the mature student access routes, reach out to the universities to see what you need to do in the next few months in order to improve your chances and best of luck!

Thank you for moderating me. I thought that was the moderators job but that is telling me.

I am not belittling the OP. I am telling him that he hasnt put in the necessary ground work to impress the Lecturers. That is the difference. The OP has nothing to prove to me. I have spent half my life try to work out the system and what they are looking for and failing miserably. Its only the last few years I had to eat a lot of humble pie, admit I needed help and actually spend time to find what lecturers really wanted. Dont hate me, hate the system. I sought help..... and it was difficult.

So you went from Junior cert to Undergraduate Electronic Engineering without any courses in between? Not a city and guilds? not a night class? See the difference. Did you just turn up or did you build up to that course?

The speed that college moves at in the first semester is a total recap of the leaving Cert in relevant areas. You need to be prepared for that. I wasnt the second time around and barely kept my head above water, so I am talking from experience. You need to also be academically prepared as well. I never said the OP couldnt go back and do a PLC or LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just to bring some clarity to this.

There's is tonnes of data analysts. Tons.

We were turning people away three years ago at a jobs fair in Dublin due to other quality candidates for graduate positions.

Theres sizable classes in this sector especially in the likes of NCI

That is entitlement is you only applied for one course, had pinned all your hopes on one course and looked to the lecturers like you had no ground work done. The College wont give feedback be cause that might be grounds for discrimination.

Whether I am a dick is besides the point. It annoys me when lads just assume there are places there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, obviously the OP is skipping the due process of preparing for entry. There is no mention of any preparation or progression of education. That looks really bad.

I experience disappointment too. I interviewed 5 times this year for 5 places, 2 that I didnt want said yes. One I wanted said yes and the two I really wanted said No. That's life. I am not crying about it I am getting on with what I have to do and reapply next year.
    Such nonsense, I hope whatever course you're taking, logic isn't one of them. If I bet all my money on a horse it doesn't give me a sense of entitlement that that horse must win the race. It's risk taking, nothing more.

Although I've not gone through the mature student process, I cannot see any reason why getting feedback would be discriminatory. The public appointments service give feedback on interviews with no issue. The OP will get some feedback if they ask, the only problem is that it might be ****e (it probably will be) and leave them none the wiser as to the next steps. There is no issue with asking for it either, it doesn't make them a whinger. Looking for feedback is perfectly normal in the real world.

I can't see how the OP is skipping due process. They put themselves forward like any other candidate, and unfortunately for them were not successful this time. They didn't play dirty to skip the queue and wasn't suggesting it. They will learn and hopefully get their place next time around hopefully with better guidance on what the college will need.

One could legitimately ask you why you applied for and interviewed for two courses you had no interest in. You wasted the interviewers time and denied an interview for another person who might've genuinely wanted that course.

Although I've not gone through the mature student process, I cannot see any reason why getting feedback would be discriminatory. The public appointments service give feedback on interviews with no issue. The OP will get some feedback if they ask, the only problem is that it might be ****e (it probably will be) and leave them none the wiser as to the next steps. There is no issue with asking for it either, it doesn't make them a whinger. Looking for feedback is perfectly normal in the real world.

I can't see how the OP is skipping due process. They put themselves forward like any other candidate, and unfortunately for them were not successful this time. They didn't play dirty to skip the queue and wasn't suggesting it. They will learn and hopefully get their place next time around hopefully with better guidance on what the college will need.

One could legitimately ask you why you applied for and interviewed for two courses you had no interest in. You wasted the interviewers time and denied an interview for another person who might've genuinely wanted that course.

So you dont know what it is like for a mature student or what is required. Not a great point to start from but carry on. So you dont know about the personal statement for the Course Director to read? Or when they ask you what other courses you applied for? When I asked for feedback once that is the reason I was given, they dont give feedback because it could be viewed as discrimination. I know now why I wasnt given the job. Yes that information would have changed my whole life but it wasnt offered.

The OP is disregarding the prefered channels that Adult Education prefer. Try bucking the natural order in any organisation, nobody will thank you for it, its an unwritten rule. I never said they played dirty, those are your words.

I applied for two courses that I had no interest in because they looked similar on the outside but not the same as the course I wanted, so it showed that I had an interest in a similar subject. I am not going to cross 3 counties to go to college or across Dublin city. Sometimes you need to learn to "their game". I know that I didnt have the Chemistry or Physics to the correct level (I do have them but not at honours level). If it waddles and quacks then its probably a duck, so if you look like you want the course and put the work in and have a plan thought out then you will get it. On the other hand if your personal statement goes on about the undying love for the arts but you are applying for business, construction and Finance then your application looks allover the place. Tell them what they want to hear.

I didnt deny anyone anything because as soon as I got the access course I emailed the other lecturer and cancelled his offer, someone else picked it up a week before exams. No harm done. So you dont know how the system works but yet you feel free to criticise me for working the system. What would happen if I only applied for the other two courses I wanted and didnt get them? What would you say to me then? Because then I would have nothing. I didnt write the rules to this game but I have to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

not hijacking but just want to ask if someone does a course in programming, what are the chances of empmoyment after without experience or without even a placement from the course?

not hijacking but just want to ask if someone does a course in programming, what are the chances of empmoyment after without experience or without even a placement from the course?

Not fully sure but if you even get through something like freecodecamp.com, it's supposed to be very good. I did a good chunk and it helped my skills a lot.

I'd recommend it to anyone before delving into an official third level program. It's webdev but programming is programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 am27

banie01 wrote: »
    am27 wrote: »
    I second that about UL's mature student office. I've applied this year and UL have been great. I had some questions before I filled out the CAO and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Best of luck with getting it!
    With a bit of luck I may see ya from afar during Freshers week and wonder to myself...
    Is that am27? ;)

Best of luck to you too :) Just a few more weeks of waiting. Would love if UL gave the heads up like UCC though!

Sortof kinda vindication today.

I haven't got in. Not yet anyway.

I've got word back from Admissions and the Mature Student Office that they're looking into it, and that the way the decision was made didn't seem to be in keeping with either the whole ethos of mature study or with the sort of red tape required to institute hard and fast qualification requirements. They were quite explicitly positive about my communication with them, and were sympathetic to the points I raised, and probably would've been covering similar points in their own queries.

I won't go into further details because I suppose it's between me and the institution, but at any rate, it seems reasonably likely I'll get some kind of result, whether that's entry, or a clear pathway into the course after completing whatever steps they establish off the back of this problem at some later date.

To a large extent just being pissed off enough and working on the principle that the squeaky wheel gets the grease has helped with this, but I've appreciated the well wishes, good advice and even the stuff that I've largely considered uninformed bollocks, because I had to be sure I was being honest with myself, so thanks all.

One way or another it seems like I'll at least get closure on this, so as far as I'm concerned I suppose the issue can be closed (but there may well be some useful pointers for other people who've found themselves in a similar position).

Thanks again.

Maybe consider discussing a work placement?

An short unpaid trial period, after which they can choose to bring you on.

If you go through a careers counselor or a recruitment agency, you might have less chance of being taken advantage for such a proposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 am27

I've got word back from Admissions and the Mature Student Office that they're looking into it, and that the way the decision was made didn't seem to be in keeping with either the whole ethos of mature study or with the sort of red tape required to institute hard and fast qualification requirements. They were quite explicitly positive about my communication with them, and were sympathetic to the points I raised, and probably would've been covering similar points in their own queries.

I won't go into further details because I suppose it's between me and the institution, but at any rate, it seems reasonably likely I'll get some kind of result, whether that's entry, or a clear pathway into the course after completing whatever steps they establish off the back of this problem at some later date.

To a large extent just being pissed off enough and working on the principle that the squeaky wheel gets the grease has helped with this, but I've appreciated the well wishes, good advice and even the stuff that I've largely considered uninformed bollocks, because I had to be sure I was being honest with myself, so thanks all.

One way or another it seems like I'll at least get closure on this, so as far as I'm concerned I suppose the issue can be closed (but there may well be some useful pointers for other people who've found themselves in a similar position).

Thanks again.

Don't ask, don't get! Well done Gbear on getting the answers you needed, all the best with it.

................. and even the stuff that I've largely considered uninformed bollocks, because I had to be sure I was being honest with myself, so thanks all.

I am the one who put two years into repeating the leaving cert. I have two offers from two separate universities before the interviews were over and I will be in a Level 8 science degree in 15 months in Dublin. Best of luck with UCC.

Thanks again.

That's great, I hope it works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

thanks Gbear. i hope the news is good.
    thanks also for the advice on unpaid placement. i dont think its allowed here but thanks anyway.
    good luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please, no need for any name calling, or pissing contests.

Good thread for people for future reference OP - best of luck with it.

thanks Gbear. i hope the news is good.
    thanks also for the advice on unpaid placement. i dont think its allowed here but thanks anyway.
    good luck

You can get it if you're on the dole. You keep your dole and you can have up to 14 weeks placement, with 20 quid extra a week for travel.

If you're confident you can impress it can get your foot in the door. I don't think you have to complete it. If they offer you the job after a week you can take it then and there.

Speak to an adult guidance counselor. They'll have the all the deets.

• Advertisement

...... and the interm results are in!!!
    In my class we have
    1 Trinity Access course
    2 Trinity Radiogical medicine
    3 Maynooth Science
    1 DCU Science
    1 Maynooth Access
    2 Dunboyne College (stepping stone to Blanch/Maynooth).

The rest are back repeating or waiting for results.
    T'has all for now folks. The system does work.

Advertisement