Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Anime & Manga? Just looking for some recommendations? Search no further!

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justoon

Appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

Hi all,
    Is anyone here into shoujo-type mangas? I used to read these back in secondary school and quite enjoyed them, would like to get back into it but unsure where to start. Another type of manga/anime I'd look to get back into is shounen (I think? Like when a group of friends/ heroes go off and fight bad guys, all the while uncovering some dark secrets/conspiracy and becoming better friends etc etc fairy tail-style). Any recommendations?
    Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

DreamByDay wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Is anyone here into shoujo-type mangas? I used to read these back in secondary school and quite enjoyed them, would like to get back into it but unsure where to start. Another type of manga/anime I'd look to get back into is shounen (I think? Like when a group of friends/ heroes go off and fight bad guys, all the while uncovering some dark secrets/conspiracy and becoming better friends etc etc fairy tail-style). Any recommendations?

Hmm...I don't think you could go wrong with Gurren Lagann.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DreamByDay wrote: »
    Hi all,

Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun/Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: http://www.crunchyroll.com/monthly-girls-nozaki-kun

Shoujo tropes/elements but really a shounen romantic comedy. I found it funny anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, so still well within my withdrawal symptoms from Hunter x Hunter (and the fact that there's no 'affordable' merch out there!), i decided to give Attack on Titan Brotherhood a go (recommended). And while it's good, and i'm about half way through (middle of Part 3), it's just not HxH good. I'm not entirely sure what HxH has that the others don't, but it has something.

I did a quick Google, and learned that my tastes are probably Shonen and Seinen. I believe HxH was shonen and AoTB is seinen, so i'm beginning to think that i'm more of a shonen fan. I've searched, and the main recommendations are Fairy Tale and One Piece, but these are massive animes that will take a bit of a build up to get into, so i'm not going to try them just yet (don't want to ruin my recent love of anime by trying to watch something so long...).

Anyway, what would you recommend for me? I'm going to finish AoT first, but i wouldn't mind having something lined up. I have Netflix and Crunchyroll, so if it's on either of them, that'd be great! And, again, something along the lines of HxH would be great! I think it's the progression in it that got me, there was rarely an episode where Gon or Killua didn't gain experience or 'power up'. That's what's missing from AoT at the moment, it doesn't feel like they're getting better/stronger. I've been told to be patient, that it's coming
    I'd imagine it will be soon, considering they're close to figuring out Alkahestry

Thanks in advance again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ok, so still well within my withdrawal symptoms from Hunter x Hunter (and the fact that there's no 'affordable' merch out there!), i decided to give Attack on Titan Brotherhood a go (recommended). And while it's good, and i'm about half way through (middle of Part 3), it's just not HxH good. I'm not entirely sure what HxH has that the others don't, but it has something.

I think you've got a combination of two separate anime going on here: Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood. Going by the rest of your post, I'm going to assume what you're watching is FMA:B. In which case, you should watch Attack on Titan next, sorted!

Konata wrote: »
    I think you've got a combination of two separate anime going on here: Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood. Going by the rest of your post, I'm going to assume what you're watching is FMA:B. In which case, you should watch Attack on Titan next, sorted!

Ah crap, my bad!

I've watched AoT, well, the first season, in English but quickly changed to Japanese with subs (it's better!). It was good. Currently on FMA:B, just started Part 4. I think, having spoken to a few lads last night, i prefer animes that have constant progression, like HxH where nearly every episode Gon and/or Killua (or someone important) 'levels up', or progresses somewhat. That's what i'm missing in FMA:B and AoT. Naruto Shippuden (i think) was recommended, but i'm not sure if that'll be too 'childish', whereas HxH appeared childish but was more mature in the end.

Plus, i'm lost with so much choice!!! Stupid crunchyroll...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

The thing is in FMA:B no one really gets more power as the series goes on, they do get more knowledge and experience. Ed's fight with Greed has a good example when Ed figured out how the ultimate shield works and got the upper hand.

I will say, it is getting better, just at a slower pace. I'm interested in the story now, so that's good at least. Plus, because i watch it in Japanese, i can go straight into Season 2/Part 6. I've an idea of how i think it's going to go, so that will keep me interested for now.

Still building myself up for Fairy Tail... And completely petrified of One Piece...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What animé is worth consuming on Netflix? Their selection has greatly increased recently and I see they're adding their own originals. I've previously watched and enjoyed Death Note, Code Geas, Attack on Titan (reading the manga currently), and Fullmetal Alchemist.
    I do see Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood is there and aware it's different to FMA but any other titles worth my time? Generally prefer a serialised story.

• Advertisement

Along the lines of what you've already watched - Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill*, Knights of Sidonia, and Bleach.

Good but not for everyone - Elfen Lied, Black Lagoon, and Devilman Crybaby.

An the "no, I'm not joking" suggestions - Little Witch Academia, and Your Lie in April*.

*subtitled

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

ixoy wrote: »
    What animé is worth consuming on Netflix? Their selection has greatly increased recently and I see they're adding their own originals. I've previously watched and enjoyed Death Note, Code Geas, Attack on Titan (reading the manga currently), and Fullmetal Alchemist.
    I do see Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood is there and aware it's different to FMA but any other titles worth my time? Generally prefer a serialised story.

Fate/Stay Night, Durarara, Samurai Champloo and Black Lagoon are all great

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ixoy wrote: »

Bleach if its still on there.

Ok then, time to update this a bit.

I finished FMA:B and it was good, but it must not be rated as good in my head as I can't remember much of it. That could also be down to the serious amount of anime I've watched since I last posted.

Currently, the king of anime for me, One Piece, is up to date. It's really hard to wait the weeks when I literally watched the entirety of it within 3 months, up to the end of May last year when I got up to date. Such an amazing show, it's the best television I've watched. Such an epic saga, and can't wait to see how it finishes up, be it within a couple of years, or for another 15!

Since then, I've watched/finished the following:

Fairy Tail - Pretty good, but the latest season is lacking, I haven't kept up to date with it, but I'll binge the whole lot once it's finished.
    Black Clover - Another show I love, but Asta needs to calm down the shouting a bit at this stage. It's quirky, and my main interest right now is to see what Gordons power is!
    Attack on Titan - Didn't start the second season. It didn't have what I wanted, even if it was super violent. Maybe I should go back to it.
    Bleach - Flew through this in a few weeks. Amazing. Pity it's finished, although Ichigo was starting to become a moany bitch, so probably no harm there. Wouldn't mind more of it though, Rukia was a great character.
    Naruto/Shippuden - Once I was up to date with the above ones, I decided to give Naruto a go. The first season was good, but it really did amp up in Shippuden. Thoroughly enjoyed it, even if I can't bring myself to watch the last 9 episodes, as they seem pooh.
    One Punch Man - Watched about 4 episodes, not for me.
    My Hero Academia - Brilliant, brilliant stuff all the way through. This is most definitely one to watch I think.
    That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - Another amazing new anime. Moves at a crazy pace, and treats flashbacks like actual flashbacks, quick and to the point. Another one which will be massive in the years to come.
    The Rising of the Shield Hero - Heavily invested in this too, it's starting to come together now, and I wonder if it will be a one off or have multiple seasons. The way it's laid out, they have many options, so avidly looking forward to this.
    Goblin Slayer - Gritty, vivid and shocking at times, really enjoying this. Hoping there's a lot more. The first episode sets the mood nicely!
    Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Another more modern one and one I really like, ever since that kick I've been hooked. Interesting character choices, can't wait to see the evolution.
    Blue Exorcist - I started watching this recently, because it's new according to Crunchyroll, and apparently i should have watched the first 16 episodes of the initial run. Was confused for a while till I figured this out. Could be one to watch out for.
    Twin Star Exorcists - Another new one, and i'm not 100% on it yet. Has promise, but the pace seems off. Will keep watching.

And that's my anime life since August 2017. My friends recommend Dragon Ball, but I can't stand the sound of the main dudes voice, reminds me of Charlie Day, the reason I can't watch It's Always Sunny. So Dragon Ball is out. I'm looking for another epic saga, loads of episodes. The rest that I'm up to date with, I call into the lads every Sunday to watch the latest episodes, so need something for during the week. Open to suggestions, and ye can see what I like above!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Ok then, time to update this a bit.

I finished FMA:B and it was good, but it must not be rated as good in my head as I can't remember much of it. That could also be down to the serious amount of anime I've watched since I last posted.

Currently, the king of anime for me, One Piece, is up to date. It's really hard to wait the weeks when I literally watched the entirety of it within 3 months, up to the end of May last year when I got up to date. Such an amazing show, it's the best television I've watched. Such an epic saga, and can't wait to see how it finishes up, be it within a couple of years, or for another 15!

Since then, I've watched/finished the following:

Fairy Tail - Pretty good, but the latest season is lacking, I haven't kept up to date with it, but I'll binge the whole lot once it's finished.
    Black Clover - Another show I love, but Asta needs to calm down the shouting a bit at this stage. It's quirky, and my main interest right now is to see what Gordons power is!
    Attack on Titan - Didn't start the second season. It didn't have what I wanted, even if it was super violent. Maybe I should go back to it.
    Bleach - Flew through this in a few weeks. Amazing. Pity it's finished, although Ichigo was starting to become a moany bitch, so probably no harm there. Wouldn't mind more of it though, Rukia was a great character.
    Naruto/Shippuden - Once I was up to date with the above ones, I decided to give Naruto a go. The first season was good, but it really did amp up in Shippuden. Thoroughly enjoyed it, even if I can't bring myself to watch the last 9 episodes, as they seem pooh.
    One Punch Man - Watched about 4 episodes, not for me.
    My Hero Academia - Brilliant, brilliant stuff all the way through. This is most definitely one to watch I think.
    That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - Another amazing new anime. Moves at a crazy pace, and treats flashbacks like actual flashbacks, quick and to the point. Another one which will be massive in the years to come.
    The Rising of the Shield Hero - Heavily invested in this too, it's starting to come together now, and I wonder if it will be a one off or have multiple seasons. The way it's laid out, they have many options, so avidly looking forward to this.
    Goblin Slayer - Gritty, vivid and shocking at times, really enjoying this. Hoping there's a lot more. The first episode sets the mood nicely!
    Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Another more modern one and one I really like, ever since that kick I've been hooked. Interesting character choices, can't wait to see the evolution.
    Blue Exorcist - I started watching this recently, because it's new according to Crunchyroll, and apparently i should have watched the first 16 episodes of the initial run. Was confused for a while till I figured this out. Could be one to watch out for.
    Twin Star Exorcists - Another new one, and i'm not 100% on it yet. Has promise, but the pace seems off. Will keep watching.

And that's my anime life since August 2017. My friends recommend Dragon Ball, but I can't stand the sound of the main dudes voice, reminds me of Charlie Day, the reason I can't watch It's Always Sunny. So Dragon Ball is out. I'm looking for another epic saga, loads of episodes. The rest that I'm up to date with, I call into the lads every Sunday to watch the latest episodes, so need something for during the week. Open to suggestions, and ye can see what I like above!

Hunter X Hunter if you haven't seen it. 148 episodes and you will be left wanting more.

Hunter X Hunter if you haven't seen it. 148 episodes and you will be left wanting more.

It was my first (proper) experience of anime back in 2017, and kick started my love of it. Still waiting... will always be waiting by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I'm the mood for a good sci fi flick, not too old and I want a serious atmosphere i.e. no cute manga with gawky characters.
    Harlow Space Pirate looks interesting. Any recommendations?

auspicious wrote: »
    I'm the mood for a good sci fi flick, not too old and I want a serious atmosphere i.e. no cute manga with gawky characters.
    Harlow Space Pirate looks interesting. Any recommendations?
    I haven't seen Harlock. It's not a film but Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These ticks those boxes. It's the future humans have moved out into space and a war breaks out between two of the nations. It's 24 episodes and it's not finished yet, there's another season this year, if that puts you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Thanks for the suggestion but it looks dated plus it's a series. I have since come across Gantz and Vexille. Are they any good?

auspicious wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion but it looks dated plus it's a series. I have since come across Gantz and Vexille. Are they any good?
    That's the old version from the 80s/90s Die Neue These started in 2018. I've seen both Gantz and Vexille they were fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

deleted

Advertisement