Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School run mum

• 31-05-2019 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I’m a stay at home mum with a little boy in JI. I do the school run. We’re reasonably new to the area, and being shy by nature, I’ve only made a couple of friends (who are lovely) and wouldn’t know many people. One day I got chatting to a mum after dropping my son off. It was a nice warm chat and then I went home. Ever since, whenever I pass this woman on my own, she is quite sneery towards me, almost smirking at me when she passes me. This is not in my head, it’s very obvious. She is very confident and is very friendly with the other mothers but seems to have a problem with me. When I’m with other mothers, she’s friendly to me. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

Shop40 wrote: »
    I’m a stay at home mum with a little boy in JI. I do the school run. We’re reasonably new to the area, and being shy by nature, I’ve only made a couple of friends (who are lovely) and wouldn’t know many people. One day I got chatting to a mum after dropping my son off. It was a nice warm chat and then I went home. Ever since, whenever I pass this woman on my own, she is quite sneery towards me, almost smirking at me when she passes me. This is not in my head, it’s very obvious. She is very confident and is very friendly with the other mothers but seems to have a problem with me. When I’m with other mothers, she’s friendly to me. What should I do?

Ignore her?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

OP don't do anything. Carry on as you are. You say you are shy by nature so just be comfortable in knowing that it's perfectly ok to be shy and still make friends and have great relationships with people.
    Perhaps you and this lady are not compatible as friends but also perhaps she is just giving you a wry smile of acknowledgement as she passes you. I do know sometimes if I'm feeling a bit awkward what I mean as a smile could look a bit more of a grimace to someone who doesn't know me well.
    Either way you know you haven't done anything wrong so maby just a "Hi how's it going " as a greeting to her and see if the situation is as you think.
    Good luck OP I don't have kids myself but from what my best friend tells me school gate politics are a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Hi OP,
    I have a 12 & 6 year old and I gave up worrying about those parents a long time ago! Don't let it get to you. You just don't know what's in other people's heads. I remember vividly dreading drop-offs & collections due mainly to one mum who was seemingly super-confident, loud & friendly to everyone but me. Sure I still don't know what her problem was, or even if there was a problem at all! They're now living abroad. I regret wasting so much time feeling paranoid and self-conscious. There are parents at the school who will be friendly and say hello every single day and then there are others who say hello the odd day, but seem to blank me on other days! Who knows what the story is there. I keep reminding myself that LIFE IS TOO SHORT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

From the info above, sounds like probably reading too much into it?

She smiles at you, but something about the smile you think is a sneer. Could be just her face, if it's a smile, then it's normal.. how do you react?
    She talks to other people. (Normal)
    You say nothing to her, she says nothing to you either. (Normal)

All sounds normal to be honest? I say hi to people at the school gate when I drop off, but god knows I've probably raced past people and not said hi as well if I'm late for work. I think once, in 4 years, I had a day off and stayed around for the stay at home parent chin wag. I hope to god the people I spoke to don't think I talked to them once and from then on I have a problem with them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Thanks very much for the replies and suggestions. I appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement