Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian canoe v Kayak/sea kayak?

• 21-06-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

I'm considering selling my 16ft canadian canoe. It's a bit cumbersome for one person to put on and take it off a roof rack. I'm tempted to buy a used Kayak which has decent storage chambers. Can be a one person or a two person, sea kayak or ordinary kayak.
    What are the pros and cons of the canadian v kayak, and is there much difference in a kayak and a sea kayak regarding stability, speed and movement in the water. Hoping you more experienced paddlers out there can be of some assistance. Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

I've had all 3 over the years. Lot depends on where you intend to use.
    A river type kayak doesn't store much and can be slow on lakes / sea.
    Sea kayak has lots of storage, generally stable enough.  Sea kayaks tend to be narrow so feel a little wobblier.  Also turning is slower and can require different leaning to carve compared to a normal kayak.
    Another alternative is a cross over kayak, has same stance as normal kayak and storage compartment at back.  
    If the sea kayak has a rudder / skeg this adds to maintenance off the kayak over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

So I took the plunge and bought a 9ft one person SOT kayak. 2 storage chambers and room for a large dry bag. It has a seat with backrest and 5 rod holders. I've been out on it 3 times in 2 days, lake and sea. Very stable so I'm over the moon with it. Planning on doing an overnight paddle soon. What do you guys take with you when you're heading out on the water for a couple of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Sounds terrific. I've angling Kayaks, heavy and wide but, loads of storage, easy to handle, not too wobbly and good for beginners too. I've only hit the water for about an hour or two at a time so far

I take with me
    Lunch (obviously), water sambos etc. in a lunch bag with cooler pack.
    Some small safety extras like a paddle leash, rope and tow belt
    My phone in a waterproof/ watersports thingy
    I have a water proof bag for all those bits.

For longer trips and winter paddling I plan on bringing my alcohol (Trangia type) , tea bags etc. Camera &/or binoculars

That's pretty much what I take too. I've now added a compass to that just in case a heavy fog was to catch me out. Hopefully camping gear very soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

spoke2cun wrote: »
    So I took the plunge and bought a 9ft one person SOT kayak. 2 storage chambers and room for a large dry bag. It has a seat with backrest and 5 rod holders. I've been out on it 3 times in 2 days, lake and sea. Very stable so I'm over the moon with it. Planning on doing an overnight paddle soon. What do you guys take with you when you're heading out on the water for a couple of hours?

Nice one :) Which one did you get? Did you sell the canadian canoe?

• Advertisement

I got a Bluefin Galaxy. Yes, sold the Canadian canoe.

I got a Bluefin Galaxy. Yes, sold the Canadian canoe.

Nice one. Is there much storage space in it? I've decided to go for a sit in either a pyranha fusion exp or a dagger axis 10.5E.

Going to take a look at them next week hopefully. I still think I'd prefer an open canoe but will see how it goes.

Good storage at the back for a large dry bag tied down with bungee cord. Dry hatch in front of you and another at the front. Holds loads of bits n pieces. Took my tent, sleeping bag, roll mat, stove, mesh tins, food, water, even a 6 pack of beer plus other bits n pieces no problem. Went for a trip across a local lake. It's southern shore is an hours walk from the nearest road. Great isolation. I'll try and post some pics.

Uploading photos seems a bit too complicated for me! You can see them on my Facebook page if you like. https://www.facebook.com/Kayak-Camp-Donegal-215724315799642/

Uploading photos seems a bit too complicated for me! You can see them on my Facebook page if you like. https://www.facebook.com/Kayak-Camp-Donegal-215724315799642/

It certainly looks like you're in the right location for it anyway. Thanks for the info my main interest will be kayak camping and some fishing so will check out the kayak you mentioned also. :) I'm still unsure of SOT/Canoe as I like the idea of an enclosed cockpit with the approaching winter.

• Advertisement

The enclosed cockpit is probably a good idea for winter alright. I got the SOT so that the kids can have some fun with it on the beaches. Best of luck with whatever you decide to get. Be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 J6TM1

Nice post. Like the Facebook link. Looks like fun is being had and life is being lived...

Advertisement