Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my doctor report me to social services if I seek help quitting marijuana?

• 25-06-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was wondering if I tell my doctor I'm having trouble quitting smoking weed can I be reported to social services because I have a child? Iv been smoking nearly every day for the last 9 years and I'm absolutely sick to death of it. Iv tried so many times to quit and I always fail! I have been accepted into college in September and I really want to get myself sorted out before then as the course I'm doing has a lot of stuff that needs to be learned and memorized! I really need help quitting but I'm so scared of risking loosing my son if I say something. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I have searched online and can't find an answer anywhere. Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I was wondering if I tell my doctor I'm having trouble quitting smoking weed can I be reported to social services because I have a child? Iv been smoking nearly every day for the last 9 years and I'm absolutely sick to death of it. Iv tried so many times to quit and I always fail! I have been accepted into college in September and I really want to get myself sorted out before then as the course I'm doing has a lot of stuff that needs to be learned and memorized! I really need help quitting but I'm so scared of risking loosing my son if I say something. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I have searched online and can't find an answer anywhere. Thanks 😊

No. They are legally forbidden to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No. They are legally forbidden to do so.

That is complete nonsense. There is no legal bar on doctors reporting illegal activity. I've no idea where you got that idea.

That said - there is no reason a doctor would report you - especially if you're looking for help in quitting. Your doctor would only be concerned if there was a risk to your children - if they thought there was a risk to a child they would be legally obliged to report to Tusla. That said - being a smoker of weed is not in itself a risk to anyone bar yourself. Any doctor would be more interested in helping you than reporting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You could also contact http://www.drugs.ie/drugs_info/getting_help/ anonymously if you still have a concern.

Best of luck getting help - and fair play for wanting to ensure your child is a part of your life and definitely good luck in college.

Advertisement