Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Realistic WW2 Anime & Manga's

• 08-10-2017 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Anyone else looking for a WW2 Anime/Manga

Saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6-wJUHquQ) on YouTube and thought it was a realistic WW2 anime until you know.

So are there any good, realistic WW2 anime/manga, because i know Japanese publishers will refuse to make one because of the war guilt/refusal, but did any western companies make one or will i have more success making a WW2 Anime/Manga myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone else looking for a WW2 Anime/Manga

Saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6-wJUHquQ) on YouTube and thought it was a realistic WW2 anime until you know.

So are there any good, realistic WW2 anime/manga, because i know Japanese publishers will refuse to make one because of the war guilt/refusal, but did any western companies make one or will i have more success making a WW2 Anime/Manga myself?

I would suggest Grave of the Fireflies and In This Corner of the World, both deal with the war in pretty grounded and depressing ways.

Both movies are set in Japan during the war with the US attacks on the Japanese mainland and the damage caused to the citizens, especially ITCotW which is set around Hiroshima.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The wind rises.

About the creation of the zero and its designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Not direct warfare and conflict related but Giovannis Island is set just after WWII and deals with the Soviet occupation of a Japanese island from the perspective of children on both sides.

Could also try Joker Game, series based on a novel about a spy agency setup in Japan in 1937. Each episode shifts around the world and details individual agents actions, less combat and more the information/surveillance end of warfare.

Warfare and military isnt really glorified in media in Japan as much as it is in the West (outside of more fantastical stuff like mecha or feudal Japan), whether due to war guilt/an enforced ideal by America afterwards to suppress the Japanese. Also the fact Japan doesnt have a "military", just the JSDF could mean they dont view military actions as much of a "thing".

We dont have very much home made shows/films focusing on our military, Siege of Jadgotville is the only one to spring to mind. Most is police or at most dealing with the troubles, which is less outright warfare and more heavy-handed policing.

Advertisement