Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foreign object in chocolate bar

• 24-02-2021 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, I was eating a chocolate bar last week and when I bit into it, there was something in the bar. It is like a metal bit encased in plastic. Does anyone know what the complaints procedure is? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contact the manufacturer, and if you don't think its taken seriously, the FSAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

I had this a couple of years ago with pitta breads. It was a bit of plastic that was baked into one of them. I contacted the manufacturer who investigated. They wrote to me about 2 weeks later to advise that a knob of one of the ovens they were using had broken and a piece had fallen into the pitta bread dough and got baked in to it! They were very apologetic and included a €50 voucher. They also advised that they were in the process of checking all of their production line facilities to check that all the ovens were undamaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

spit it out, eat the rest and enjoy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

silver2020 wrote: »
    spit it out, eat the rest and enjoy.

That's never the appropriate response.

It would not be recommended to eat the rest, and it would always be sensible to inform the producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

L1011 wrote: »
    That's never the appropriate response.

It would not be recommended to eat the rest, and it would always be sensible to inform the producer.

life's too short - throw the whole bar out then

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    life's too short - throw the whole bar out then

If you've the time to post here, you've the time to let the manufacturer know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Let the manufacturer know. They actually love to hear stuff like this because otherwise they wouldn't know their QA process sucks.

They are usually generous.

A bit of wood in a Mars bar years ago (yes) got me several boxes of chocolates through the post.
    A pringle covered in weird brown goo netted me €40 of pringles vouchers which brought about 15 packets of pringles (on a 3 for 2 offer) which kept the entire office fed for one very unhealthy lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Let the manufacturer know. They actually love to hear stuff like this because otherwise they wouldn't know their QA process sucks.

They are usually generous.

A bit of wood in a Mars bar years ago (yes) got me several boxes of chocolates through the post.
    A pringle covered in weird brown goo netted me €40 of pringles vouchers which brought about 15 packets of pringles (on a 3 for 2 offer) which kept the entire office fed for one very unhealthy lunchtime.

It used to be like that but not anymore in my experience anyway.

I recently returned a bag of sweets to the natural confectionary company, the bag cost €1and €2 postage to return it, I got vouchers for €2 in return, when I rang to point out that I was still at a loss they sent me on another €2 voucher.

More recently I sent back two tins of cat food to whiskas, took ages to sort out, follow up emails and calls because I wouldnt let it go (dog with a bone ironically). really gave me the run-around.

Ended up getting €15 in vouchers even though I pointed out that it had cost me €9 in postage, €1 for the padded envelope and €2.50 for the two tins of pet food !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i'd say it depends on the problem.

If your jellies had a foreign object in it that could have injured your child, as opposed to a discolored jelly that would have done no harm, or were stale, then i would expect the response to be more serious.

Again with the cat food- if they could have made your cat seriously ill or even worse, vs a less serious issue, the response should be graded on the severity of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Re opened this up. Just cut mouth as a result of a piece of metal in a double decker bar( dont mention buses). Contacted Cadburys and they said send it back. It is about 4mm in length. Would I be better to send it back or forward to someone else especially as it is a bar a child would eat. Cadburys getting recalls for a number of their products lately. Wonder if it would just disappear and noone else would be informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

what is your endgame here? Do you want manufacturer to resolve this issue so it doesn't happen again or do you want the best payout you can get?

if the first, then return it to the manufacturer and allow them to examine and find the root cause. this is the sensible solution.

if payout then document your injuries, and speak with a personal injury solicitor & see if they will take the case. this is the 'murrica is mad' solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I found a sharp piece of plastic in a bar or chocolate before and I sent it back. They dismissed it and sent me the price of the bar and the postage.

Wanted to make sure they took it seriously. Worried it would happen to someone else. Metal in a bar should have been picked up by their metal detectors and it was not. Happy to send it back but worried that there could be more metal as it looked like it broke off something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Fill in the form and send in some photographs with it (don't forget to include something for scale and gory pictures of your cut mouth to make the point). Then you can send the item back to the manufacturer and let them know you have made a complaint with the FSAI.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement