Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currys and Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

Skipper12 wrote: »
    HI,

I'm in the same situation with a toaster and a kettle. Wanted to pick them up in the local branch but they had no stock.

They promoted a fast delivery so I went ahead and paid for that option. That was on the 3rd January. I naively thought they had a local warehouse with stock.

Items were stuck at International Gateway according to tracking of parcel. Status updates state that they were on their way to Athlone on the 5th and again on the 6th. Now they are on their way to Republic of Ireland since the 8th!!

So should I expect a bill from customs?

Update

Hi, we're sorry it has taken longer than we expected to get your Currys PC World order to you. We can confirm that your parcel is now on its way to Republic of Ireland and DPD will get your parcel to you on or before the 22nd January 2021. We apologise for the delay. Please ignore this message if you have already contacted directly to make alternative requests

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

Same boat as the rest of you I'm afraid... Ordered coffee machine from the Irish Curry's site and paid in Euro.

Despatched and received by DPD on 3rd Jan, last update on 11th Jan. Text from Curry's apologising and promising delivery on 18th... I can't see that happening!

11 Jan 2021 13:18 Sheffield Your parcel is on its way back to CurrysPCW
    07 Jan 2021 11:27 International Gateway There's a delay with your parcel at our hub
    05 Jan 2021 13:44 Hub 4 - Hinckley There's a delay with your parcel at our hub
    05 Jan 2021 05:40 Hub 4 - Hinckley There's a delay with your parcel at our hub
    05 Jan 2021 05:39 Hub 4 - Hinckley There's a delay with your parcel at our hub
    03 Jan 2021 23:34 Hub 4 - Hinckley We have your parcel, and it's on its way to our Athlone depot
    03 Jan 2021 20:01 CurrysPCW We've received your order details, but have not yet received your parcel

Total cluster fúck!!!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm the same. But won't be paying customs when if I'm asked. It will go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Ordered a printer for €30 on the 3rd of January in the sale as no stock in the stores and no click and collect option.

Just got an email from DPD looking for €12.99 customs charge. I won't be paying that and I won't be ordering of Curry's again.

There is a thread on this already - Currys and Brexit.

Its all a big mess apparantly, with DPD sending emails to customers looking for them to pay customs fees and items being returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

Have another reminder from dpd to pay the customs pronto or they are sending back the order to currys. Have heard nothing from curry’s but presumably they haven’t sorted anything with dpd yet if dpd are sending payment reminders. It is so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Currys are now telling me it can take 10 days for DPD to ship by order back to them (its already been 10) and that the order will be relabeled.

They also said there's a chance it might get intercepted by customs and charges will be applied when they resend but to contact them if this happen.

Joke of a company, I ordered from the .ie website and you can't actually get hold of anyone except via twitter, where they are extremely slow to respond.

I just want to cancel the order at this stage but I'm afraid I will be left in limbo awaiting for my card refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

I ordered from Currys on 11th assuming as I was using the Irish website as it was .ie It wouldn’t be subject to duty. Discovered from boards.ie that I wouldn’t probably get caught so rang on 14th to find out. I was told by customer service my order would be cancelled as DPD were returning all parcels to them. She said she would process my refund straight away as I got annoyed on the phone.

I proceeded to order from Soundstore on Saturday & then last night I get an email from Currys saying DPD has my order and tracking says it on the way to Ireland.
    I rang Currys this morning to discover the lady the last day hadn’t done anything. She hadn’t cancelled order or processed refund and the guy couldn’t do anything for me.

I don’t know what to do now. I’ve cancelled Soundstore just in case.
    Do I:
    A-accept the order as recommended by Currys, pay Duty and then request it to be collected.
    B-Do I refuse the delivery and end up if it doesn’t get returned being out of pocket.
    C- Just suck it up pay the duty and take the goods. I paid €700 so God knows how much I’d have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Carodh wrote: »
    I ordered from Currys on 11th assuming as I was using the Irish website as it was .ie It wouldn’t be subject to duty. Discovered from boards.ie that I wouldn’t probably get caught so rang on 14th to find out. I was told by customer service my order would be cancelled as DPD were returning all parcels to them. She said she would process my refund straight away as I got annoyed on the phone.

I proceeded to order from Soundstore on Saturday & then last night I get an email from Currys saying DPD has my order and tracking says it on the way to Ireland.
    I rang Currys this morning to discover the lady the last day hadn’t done anything. She hadn’t cancelled order or processed refund and the guy couldn’t do anything for me.

I don’t know what to do now. I’ve cancelled Soundstore just in case.
    Do I:
    A-accept the order as recommended by Currys, pay Duty and then request it to be collected.
    B-Do I refuse the delivery and end up if it doesn’t get returned being out of pocket.
    C- Just suck it up pay the duty and take the goods. I paid €700 so God knows how much I’d have to pay.

I found this thread a day to late, just paid €100 on an order of €350, done for an easy life, but so annoyed to do it. I know I should have let it get returned and refunded.

I've an order arriving today. No message about customs so far. We'll see how it goes. If they ask for customs charge. I'll just refuse and return it. I'll order it somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

beauf wrote: »
    I've an order arriving today. No message about customs so far. We'll see how it goes. If they ask for customs charge. I'll just refuse and return it. I'll order it somewhere else.

They don't, the charge only comes up once DPD have the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

If the Item is shipping from the UK and originated outside of the UK, then IMPORT DUTY will be due, this has nothing to do with VAT.

Assuming your product was made in ASIA then import duty will be due, but this should be paid by the supplier as you bought from an Irish company, watch prices of electronics in Ireland rise by about 25% in the next weeks as retailers realise the reality of Brexit.

Most UK plug electronics first land in the UK and then ship to Ireland, so it will effect 80% plus of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Joke of a company, ordered coffee machine on the 3rd and have gotten 4 different dates to expect delivery. Mostly by text that cannot be replied to and they don't bother responding to emails. Trying to get through to them on the phone is a waste of time.

They'll never again get a cent from me, bunch of imbeciles running that company.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Staplor wrote: »
    They don't, the charge only comes up once DPD have the package.

I've got messages from DPD none about customs though.

I NEED MY COFFEE!!!!!!!!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Irish Times article.

Brexit: Currys/PC World Irish customers asked to pay import taxes in error
    Retailer apologises and says those mistakenly asked to pay duties will be refunded
    Some customers said they have yet to receive products bought weeks ago.

Irish customers of Currys/PC World have been asking where in the world their products are and why they have to pay import taxes and charges on things bought from a retailer with a significant Irish footprint.

The shop has become the latest to be snared in a web of Brexit-related delays and confusion as people who shopped on its Irish-hosted website have been told more taxes and charges are now owed because the goods have come from the UK.

Others said they have yet to receive products bought weeks ago while still more have expressed frustration at the absence of communication from the retailer as to what is going on.

With homeschooling back on the table Kevin Prendergast bought his daughter a laptop from the Curry’s/PC World website on January 9th.

“We got an email to say to expect it on January 15th,” he said but on that day a message arrived to say the laptop was leaving the UK. Then he received another message apologising for the delay and promising delivery on January 22nd.

Irish officials raise queries with EU over disruptive post-Brexit ‘rules of origin’
    Ferry firms offer new Ireland to France sailings due to Brexit delays
    Industry stakeholders lay claim to Brexit adjustment fund
    Adam Greaney bought a MacBook from the the website on January 5th. It was dispatched on January 7th but then caught up in Brexit-related delivery delays and he has yet to receive it.

Liam Preston bought a laptop from Currys.ie on New Year’s Day and was “not aware it was coming from a warehouse in the UK”.

Not only did that delay the delivery he also had to pay €200.31 in custom duties to DPD before they would deliver the laptop. He complained that the website did not inform consumers they may be liable for customs and import duties on products sourced from the UK.

Paul McGaley ordered a vacuum cleaner for delivery from Currys on on January 2nd and paid Irish VAT and said at no point was he told the product was being shipped from the UK. His delivery was being held by DPD pending customs charges including more VAT.

“I couldn’t get through to a person on Curry’s phone support, tried twitter, got a “please send us more details” reply and then nothing further.”

A spokeswoman for the retailer said that as a result of “a technical error, a small number of our customers in the Republic of Ireland have mistakenly been asked to pay import duty on their orders. We are contacting all affected customers to refund them any costs they may have incurred. We apologise wholeheartedly for the inconvenience.”

Addressing the delays she said that its delivery partner, DPD, had “paused all deliveries from the UK to ROI due to disruptions caused by Brexit. Unfortunately, this means our deliveries to ROI will be delayed. We have contacted all affected customers, and DPD has assured us they will receive their orders by 22nd January. We are grateful for our customers’ patience as we continue to work closely with DPD.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/brexit-currys-pc-world-irish-customers-asked-to-pay-import-taxes-in-error-1.4461105

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pgtipz

Update from DPD (spoke with them earlier) "ignore the text/email re: customs charges as Curry's are paying it".
    My laptop (ordered Jan 1st) has apparently 'landed' in Ireland and I should have it in the next day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Oh that’s great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

DPD being over diligent charging duties when they shouldn't be.....at least one other UK retailer saying to pay the duty to get the parcel ASAP and they will refund.

DPD being over diligent charging duties when they shouldn't be.....at least one other UK retailer saying to pay the duty to get the parcel ASAP and they will refund.

In fairness its no harm someone being over diligent for once.

Forces Currys to get their house in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Ordered from the Currys.ie website on the 2nd of January, the package was delayed and the last update I have gotten is that my parcel is on the way back to CurrysPCW which was the 11th. Has anyone else had their stuff returned to Currys and did it take long? Also, what happened when it was returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

gazump123 wrote: »
    Ordered from the Currys.ie website on the 2nd of January, the package was delayed and the last update I have gotten is that my parcel is on the way back to CurrysPCW which was the 11th. Has anyone else had their stuff returned to Currys and did it take long? Also, what happened when it was returned?

Was told it can take 7-10 days to get back to them from DPD, even though its in the same country. Been 10 days since mine was sent back and still no order update issued. They won't give any more details and keep annoying me more my apologizing without providing other solutions.

I think mine was ordered around the 9th~10th, arrived today on time. No request for any extra payment.

Maybe its sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wateryway

Ordered a laptop on the 5th expecting it to be dispatched from Ireland , DPD still looking for money. I'll be telling them to keep it tomorrow. 5 years to plan for Brexit.. And this is the result. Will buy elsewhere in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

kerdiff wrote: »

They have some neck.

Team "Knowhow" know sweet f*ck all about their job.

I don't care if they are selling the next thing I need at half the price of every other shop, I will never again give them a cent of my hard earned money.

Tosspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 peterted

Ordered a small fridge December 30th and haven't even got a delivery date been told out of stock yet their website did and still does say in stock company is a joke I'll wait another day or 2 and then demand a refund customer services are ignorant hung up on me 3 times after taking an hour to get through each time not answering messages on Facebook never ever again will I order from Currys
    Ps I needed a new dishwasher cooker and hood they lost that business well over €1.5k worth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

My friend bought a laptop from Curry's Irish website. It for some reason was shipped form the UK. DPD are asking for a €200 import tax. But as far as she was aware, she owjdont have to pay anything due to ordering from an Irish website.

What shojdl she do guys? Just request the laptop to be returned and refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

MarkY91 wrote: »
    My friend bought a laptop from Curry's Irish website. It for some reason was shipped form the UK. DPD are asking for a €200 import tax. But as far as she was aware, she owjdont have to pay anything due to ordering from an Irish website.

What shojdl she do guys? Just request the laptop to be returned and refunded?

Did this really happen? How much was the laptop ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Advertisement