Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I presume that isn't fulfilled by Amazon so third party and not worth them bothering with vat and customs hassle.

Otherwise it looks like it's BAU for items that are listed under prime and under 150.
    The items under 22 and prime are going to be a bonus for six months.

Might not have been fulfilled by Amazon but have the large Prime icon and button below them. Which is now.. meaningless as the item is 'not in stock' when IRL address selected.

Im of the firm believe that people who think its BAU will be quite surprised that its anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I think it depends on what you are buying. Most of the stuff we buy are fulfilled by Amazon. So hopefully that will keep going.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They gave an example on the news tonight of potential charges. An item costing 162euro would likely attract 62 euro in charges bringing it to 224.

It's pretty sobering, particularly when you factor in the fact that things will be more expensive in our own shops too.

Definitely worth thinking if there's any big ticket items you need this wk. I'm thinking a dehumidifier! Not what I hoped I'd be buying for myself for Christmas.
    That €62 includes €34 Irish VAT. If you're ordering online from the likes of Amazon UK for direct delivery to Ireland, you won't be paying UK VAT so in reality that €34 is not extra cost.

Different story though if you buy via a forwarder like AddressPal or buy in person while in GB. In that case you'll pay UK VAT and then Irish VAT on top when the item hits customs. You MAY be able to reclaim the UK VAT though.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

listermint wrote: »
    Might not have been fulfilled by Amazon but have the large Prime icon and button below them. Which is now.. meaningless as the item is 'not in stock' when IRL address selected.

Im of the firm believe that people who think its BAU will be quite surprised that its anything but.
    Things should improve in six months when the new EU I-OSS regime comes into effect.

From 1st July marketplaces like Amazon, eBay etc become responsible for VAT collection on consignments under €150 imported into the EU by sellers on their platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Quackster wrote: »
    That €62 includes €34 Irish VAT. If you're ordering online from the likes of Amazon UK for direct delivery to Ireland, you won't be paying UK VAT so in reality that €34 is not extra cost.

The quality of financial journalism here can be quite poor at times, either the writer doesn't know enough about their subject or they are deliberately going for clickbait sensational headlines, this point seems to be missed in multiple articles about the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

listermint wrote: »
    Well i just went to buy some water filters from my usual Amazon Supplier top up as im running low.

Price delivery is now 21 Pound Sterling from this supplier. (from free previously)

Checked other suppliers for similar products and all marked as not in stock for IRL address - AND funnily enough the NI address too , but when changed to UK address the items appear in stock and ready for delivery.

Its happening and its happening now.

Well at least i can cancel prime. Bye Amazon, come back when you are willing to service the IRISH market itself otherwise your a waste of cash!

I just had the opposite experience. Went to but something which previously i had to route via parcel motel as delivery to RoI want an option even with my Prime account but today delivery to RoI is not just an option but it's free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭torrevieja

so folks would it be better now to leave Amazon.co.uk and move to a different Anazon site ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

torrevieja wrote: »
    so folks would it be better now to leave Amazon.co.uk and move to a different Anazon site ?

I never had to set up a new account for the different Amazon sites. My UK one works on German France Spain Italy and American Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I never had to set up a new account for the different Amazon sites. My UK one works on German France Spain Italy and American Amazon.

But your Prime benefits are not transferable. You need to sign up for Prime on each individual Amazon site.

So better pick the best one for you. I think I am going with DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Poncke wrote: »
    But your Prime benefits are not transferable. You need to sign up for Prime on each individual Amazon site.

So better pick the best one for you. I think I am going with DE.

There's no point signing up to Prime on other sites. There's no free delivery to Ireland.

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    There's no point signing up to Prime on other sites. There's no free delivery to Ireland.

Well there is definitely a point to signing up for Prime, in some occasions there is free delivery, and if it is not free it is at least reduced. And the delivery time is also shorter.

Depends on how often you order I guess. I placed 314 orders in 2020, so I am sure Prime has some benefits for me.

Well there is definitely a point to signing up for Prime, in some occasions there is free delivery, and if it is not free it is at least reduced. And the delivery time is also shorter.

Depends on how often you order I guess. I placed 314 orders in 2020, so I am sure Prime has some benefits for me.

There's no point signing up to Prime on other Amazon sites. Obviously it's very useful on Amazon UK. I find it great. If you sign up to Prime on other European Amazon sites you don't get any free delivery whatsoever. You pay the exact same regardless of whether you're a prime member or not. The only benefit is Prime Video.

There's no point signing up to Prime on other Amazon sites. Obviously it's very useful on Amazon UK. I find it great. If you sign up to Prime on other European Amazon sites you don't get any free delivery whatsoever. You pay the exact same regardless of whether you're a prime member or not. The only benefit is Prime Video.

There is definitely a point to signing up for Prime ON OTHER SITES, in some occasions there is free delivery, and if it is not free it is at least reduced. And the delivery time is also shorter. I speak from experience.

I had free delivery with Prime from Amazon.de and reduced shipping on Amazon.es.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

When I signed up to Amazon.de it said free shipping was only available to Germany and Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Will stuff ordered before 1 at Jan but not delivered before then be tariff free in the event of no deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The fact is that ordering from Amazon UK means very very little. Its all one system with different accounting bodies.

Two prime items today, both from .co.uk :
    1. Luton, Manchester, Dublin
    2. Venetie in ALASKA, Singapore, Manchester, Dublin (Did all that in 3days too)

The stock held is globally available. Not all storefronts sell all items but for the most part which you use just sets the price and currency you pay in. Often items come from Poland through the UK store.

If you live in Dublin shipping should probably be pretty rapid no matter what storefront you order from as it'll all go MANx -> DIS1 and to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Will stuff ordered before 1 at Jan but not delivered before then be tariff free in the event of no deal?

Don't think so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its the date it arrives at the state, not the date ordered or dispatched.

TI had free delivery with Prime from Amazon.de and reduced shipping on Amazon.es.

I had two free Prime trials on Amazon.de and it made zero difference. I've not once got free delivery. It said free delivery on the product page but as soon as I got to the checkout I had to pay. It was the exact same rates as non-prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

ED E wrote: »
    The fact is that ordering from Amazon UK means very very little. Its all one system with different accounting bodies.

Amazon would dispute this version, according to the e-mail (and press release) they published earlier in the year advising GB-based traders that they would no longer fulfill EU orders from GB stock and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Going forward it wont be, my point was in transit as it stands really. If we order UK and it comes from Szczecin and in Jan we order .de and it comes from Szczecin the minor difference will be the shipping charge. Performance should be similar (though theyll have to hub from somewhere other than MAN to feed DIS).

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

ED E wrote: »

Two prime items today, both from .co.uk :
    1. Luton, Manchester, Dublin
    2. Venetie in ALASKA, Singapore, Manchester, Dublin (Did all that in 3days too)

The stock held is globally available. Not all storefronts sell all items but for the most part which you use just sets the price and currency you pay in. Often items come from Poland through the UK store.

I'm very curious to see how this ends up. Amazon would need to know upfront where the order will be shipped from, otherwise they won't know whether to apply the customs fees or not. And this question is pertinent regardless of the delivery address:

Delivery in the UK, order from the .uk site, but shipping is from the Netherlands, and you're liable for import taxes. However, if shipping is from UK, there should be no import taxes.

Delivery in Ireland or other EU country, order from the .de site, but shipping is from the UK, and you're liable for import taxes. However, if shipping is from Germany, there should be no import taxes.

Obviously, it could be argued that, if you order from a UK site to a UK address, then it's up to the seller to make sure you don't end up with additional fees regardless of where the item is actually shipped from. Likewise, of course, if you order from an EU site to an EU address.

Amazon also can't legally apply customs charges for a shipment that ends up not crossing a customs border, so it seems to me that this could end up as quite the logistical challenge.

So does it mean, perhaps, that orders from the .uk site will always be shipped from the UK, and orders from any of the other EU sites will never be shipped from the UK?

This seems to me to be in line with the instructions given to third party, fulfilled by Amazon, sellers, which are to specifically ship to the UK any items to be sold through the .uk site, while items for the other sites will still be distributed around the EU by Amazon themselves (this is my understanding at least, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Might this lead to reduced stock and reduced selection on the .uk site over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I had two free Prime trials on Amazon.de and it made zero difference. I've not once got free delivery. It said free delivery on the product page but as soon as I got to the checkout I had to pay. It was the exact same rates as non-prime.

So the real benefit is Stay with Amazon.co.uk with Prime, so keep ur order under the €150 and you wont pay extra on vat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

torrevieja wrote: »
    So the real benefit is Stay with Amazon.co.uk with Prime, so keep ur order under the €150 and you wont pay extra on vat ?

I don't think we have 100% confirmation they won't be charging UK VAT as well as Irish VAT. EU rules forbid the double charging of vat between member states. I'm not sure if WTO rules forbid it.

The UK could declare that any .co.uk website has to pay UK VAT on sales. And we would still have to pay Irish vat on importing.

If the products are shipped from somewhere other than the UK it should be grand if they still offer the benefits of prime. You could lose prime TV if you have it.

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't think we have 100% confirmation they won't be charging UK VAT as well as Irish VAT. EU rules forbid the double charging of vat between member states. I'm not sure if WTO rules forbid it.

The UK could declare that any .co.uk website has to pay UK VAT on sales. And we would still have to pay Irish vat on importing.

If the products are shipped from somewhere other than the UK it should be grand if they still offer the benefits of prime. You could lose prime TV if you have it.

It depends on how bloody minded the UK want to be. They could lose out on the VAT on exports, but support their export industry. Or keep their pound of flesh and make their exporters uncompetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

whiterebel wrote: »
    It depends on how bloody minded the UK want to be. They could lose out on the VAT on exports, but support their export industry. Or keep their pound of flesh and make their exporters uncompetitive.

Only Borris knows. Unless it has been published and we haven't found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Just cancelled my Amazon prime membership, it was due to renew on 26th. I don't see the point now and don't see the point in signing up for prime on the EU stores as it doesn't give free shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ordered 5 items from Amazon.co.uk yesterday. 2 just delivered now, 1 tomorrow and the final 2 it says Tuesday. Seems strange way of doing things

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

RasTa wrote: »
    Ordered 5 items from Amazon.co.uk yesterday. 2 just delivered now, 1 tomorrow and the final 2 it says Tuesday. Seems strange way of doing things

What's strange about items from different warehouses arriving on different days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Even paying all the extra taxes it will still be cheaper to buy items from Amazon.uk than buy off Irish sites.

Advertisement