Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revolut Megathread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Revolut app seemed to have updated over the weekend and now the option for topping up is Google Pay.

I used the card to pay for something today and received money transferred from another revolut card holder but when I add funds, where it used to be instantaneous, an hour later and it hasn't gone through. Anyone else having issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Is there any difference between freezing/unfreezing your card and going in and selecting/deselecting each security feature individually each time.

You can’t lock/deselect ‘chip and pin’ payments so if you want to block them you need to freeze it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

dollylama wrote: »
    Did anyone get one of the RevP physical Mastercards in the last beta?

I'm using it here at the moment but bizarrely, the card has two valid PINs depending on where you use it. A PoS transaction requires the PIN the card shipped with which thankfully I can recall but ATM transactions require the PIN I set at an ATM after receiving the card. The app shows the PIN as being that I set, twice now, at ATMs but PoS transactions still require the original PIN!!

I've reported it on their beta feedback but I've heard nothing. I'm getting a lot of declined transactions when I forget to enter the original PIN in shops!

I have one but haven't noticed this. I mostly use it for contactless so chances are I either haven't used it for chip and pin or ATM. Or if I did, I probably would have used the same pin.

I've also just noticed that I can now use this in Google Pay for contactless payments. I'm pretty sure only my original Mastercard one worked and that this one didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

Unable to make a purchase from Amazon UK (TV series) using Revolut as it not detected as a UK card even though I changed my address to a UK one. Is there some way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

degsie wrote: »
    Unable to make a purchase from Amazon UK (TV series) using Revolut as it not detected as a UK card even though I changed my address to a UK one. Is there some way around this?

The card may have been issued coded as an Irish one?

Try create a virtual card and see will that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

The card may have been issued coded as an Irish one?

Try create a virtual card and see will that work?

Thank you, that seems to have done the trick :). Any ideas how you can tell what geographic region cards have been coded to?

Ah glad you got sorted!

I wouldn't have a clue personally about the coding,

I think there was a post in the old thread about it but not entirely sure if it was here or another forum and can't search properly on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Try binlist.net

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Travelling to turkey this month and instead of getting lira I was going to top up my Revolut lira account.
    That’s all fine, but I’ve never used it outside of Ireland yet, so how does my card know when travelling to debit my lira account?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

kceire wrote: »
    Travelling to turkey this month and instead of getting lira I was going to top up my Revolut lira account.
    That’s all fine, but I’ve never used it outside of Ireland yet, so how does my card know when travelling to debit my lira account?

Thanks.

You don't need a lira account, just top up and let revolut do it's thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Anyone else having issue topping up account via Google pay via the revolut app.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Thanks.

Add Euro and spend, Revolut will do the conversion as you spend

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks.

when a transaction comes in on your card Revolut will check what currency the transaction is in.

For example:
    Transaction is 200 Lira.
    Revolut checks your accounts to see if you have said currency account.
    You have money in that account to cover the transaction.
    if you do, it deducts from that account and authorises the transaction.
    If you do not it goes to your default account (in our cases EUR) and does the same checks (i.e. do you have enough money to cover the account also taking into account the fx conversion).
    If you do not it declines, it you do it authorises the transaction.

My advice is to avoid topping up any account for these types of transactions. Topping up an account should be if you want to specifically hold currency for frequent travel or you have subscriptions set up in another country where a fix amount gets debited i.e. Netflix/Spotify and you buy currency when the exchange is in your favour.

Top-up in EUR and then transfer to Lira if you wish (it's instant) but don't top-up in Lira directly.

Cool thanks
    I was planning to simply transfer from my euro account to Lira account before I went but it’s not for rate locking or anything. It was more handiness rather than having cash or using credit card of course.

So best action may just to load my euro account and spend as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's the best idea.

Also this may suit, if you have Apple/Google Pay on your main (funding) bank account I top-up using that per day as it's instant. that way I'm not transferring over the full amount I intend to spend (in card my Revolut card gets stolen/skimmed etc.).

Perhaps it's just me being overly cautious of these new challenger banking products.

It's the best idea.

Also this may suit, if you have Apple/Google Pay on your main (funding) bank account I top-up using that per day as it's instant. that way I'm not transferring over the full amount I intend to spend (in card my Revolut card gets stolen/skimmed etc.).

Perhaps it's just me being overly cautious of these new challenger banking products.

That’s exactly what I already do :)
    My main day to day is N26.

It's the best idea.

You don’t need Apple/google pay to top up instantly

FWIW if I’m travelling for short periods I top up with my expected budget and convert to local currency. It’s mainly for budgeting purposes but it also locks in the rate for the weekend

No right/wrong answer but revolut’s biggest positive is that it’s an excellent travel card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Visiting London in a few weeks, years since there, some questions...

Use AIB Debit card or get a Revolut card?
    Is AIB Debit Card "free" on contactless for London transport?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

BowWow wrote: »

Thanks..

Revolut. No currency fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Thanks..

Crap exchange rate (83p vs ~85p) plus potentially lots of non euro fees on top

https://aib.ie/content/dam/aib/personal/docs/fees-and-charges/schedule-of-international-transaction-charges.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks..

AIB charges 1.75% on the euro value of all sterling transactions (and you’ll get their crappy rate too)

There’s no minimum for contact for for chip and pin etc, the minimum is 40c. They can add up quickly if you use card a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jgannon12

Hi there just wondering if you can use your driving license for this? It's not working for me keeps saying unable to verify my identity

Jgannon12 wrote: »
    Hi there just wondering if you can use your driving license for this? It's not working for me keeps saying unable to verify my identity

Passport only now

Make sure it's valid and not expired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Revolut just stared asking for CVV code and need to get a code every time I need to top-up. Same happened to wife (Android & iPhone).

This happened before and stopped. Just wondering has this happened to anyone else and if you know why and how to stop it.

Bit of a pain when you want to do a quick top-up at the cashier

Same for me this morning (Bank of Ireland, iOS).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

Same for me this morning (Bank of Ireland, iOS).
    And me just now , same set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Same for me now too. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Been happening for me for the last 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Been happening for me for the last 3 weeks

Hi

Does national lottery online not accept Revolut?

• Advertisement

Hi

Does national lottery online not accept Revolut?

No, it has to be an Irish card.

Advertisement