Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doing a course in spirituality but Catholic Institution??

Options
  • 19-07-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hi! I am really interestesd in spirituality and did my masters thesis on it as it related to my masters course in healthcare - I included atheistic spirituality - there is such a thing - even though I am Christian. There is now an experiential, non-accademic course in spirituality next to my place of work, starting on Tuesday evenings in September. It is run by the Jesuits, but it is mainly priests and one nun lecturing on it. I, like a lot of others became hugely disillusioned with the Church and I joined one of the liberal protestant traditions where I am happy - however, they do not do any courses on spirituality and all the spirituality courses in Ireland seem to be run by Catholic Institutions. I have paid my e200 deposit to do the course, but am really having cold feet now. I had a post here a while ago about negative comments made to me about being a single mum - I don't fit the usual stereotype, have a fairly well paid job, my own home and have done two Masters degrees while raising two children alone. Most of the negative comments made to me were by people who were staunch catholiics - eucharistic minister, another lady prepares catholic children in the local cofi school for communion and confirmation and is a primary school teacher, the other, a former friend - is from a really strong Catholic fam Iily - daily mass, don't believe in contraception let alone choice on abortion for women - so not that I have started to think about it, I am getting cold feet on doing the course - feel I won't fit in - just wondered what people's advice/comments would be?

Thanks.

H.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Probably get more relevant responses here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

People are just jealous of your strong personality. The more individuality shines, the more hate you get from the society, especially if there is also talent involved, so that's normal.
    As for the course: if I would be interested in the topic, I would go no matter who it is run by; muslims, vegans or local psychonauts. I would be more concerned if I actually get to know anything new there. If you are sure you will learn something new, despite having 2 masters yourself, go for it. You will come for the knowledge, pay money for it, and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Hannaho wrote: »
    Hi! I am really interestesd in spirituality and did my masters thesis on it as it related to my masters course in healthcare - I included atheistic spirituality - there is such a thing - even though I am Christian. There is now an experiential, non-accademic course in spirituality next to my place of work, starting on Tuesday evenings in September. It is run by the Jesuits, but it is mainly priests and one nun lecturing on it. I, like a lot of others became hugely disillusioned with the Church and I joined one of the liberal protestant traditions where I am happy - however, they do not do any courses on spirituality and all the spirituality courses in Ireland seem to be run by Catholic Institutions. I have paid my e200 deposit to do the course, but am really having cold feet now. I had a post here a while ago about negative comments made to me about being a single mum - I don't fit the usual stereotype, have a fairly well paid job, my own home and have done two Masters degrees while raising two children alone. Most of the negative comments made to me were by people who were staunch catholiics - eucharistic minister, another lady prepares catholic children in the local cofi school for communion and confirmation and is a primary school teacher, the other, a former friend - is from a really strong Catholic fam Iily - daily mass, don't believe in contraception let alone choice on abortion for women - so not that I have started to think about it, I am getting cold feet on doing the course - feel I won't fit in - just wondered what people's advice/comments would be?

Thanks.

H.

Jesuits do not do courses in Spirituality......................they teach Catholicism, ask for your money back and see how understanding they are! Search Amazon under Spirituality and see if you can find any DVD's that appeal to you!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

Hi Hannaho
    If it's "experimental" go and experiment, find a boundary and go beyond it, challenge the Jesuits to do likewise, maybe you could post the results would love to hear.

Happy Every Day
    P

Advertisement